Music Maker? We Have A Podcast Competition For You!

This is absolutely wrong IMO. Producing music is a talent that should be paid for. And hosting a 'Competition ' with no prize is insulting to everyone involved. Or let me guess, the winner will get great exposure?

Provide documentation that RD is a registered non-profit, or else get used to people getting angry when you beg for free things.

Oh do shut up - there's plenty of us that enjoy messing around in Logic, Ableton, Garageband, Gadget, whatever, for the sheer hell of it, and never expect, or want payment for our "efforts" - a few likes on Soundcloud would be more than sufficient - actually one like would do me.

Besides it's down to personal choice as to whether somebody submits music to RD for this, and as a "crap" hobby producer I for one am not insulted by this request and I would gladly submit something if I had the time.

Last edited:
Holy! Welcome to F-Zero NASCAR by Electronic Nintendo! This was like a mashup of EA-NASCAR games and F-Zero X for N64.
It also gave a new meaning to your nickname...!

EA NASCAR example

Haha yeah that's where my nick comes from, although saying I can really "shred" in the true meaning of the word is bit of an overstatement. That Nascar track is by Joe Satriani, one of my favourite guitarists. Dunno, IMO that kind of music fits motorsports like a glove (or Ice Hockey goal highlights, as a Finn :D)

I added couple more "Stabs" in my original post, basically just some random licks over the same track (got lazy :D). Didn't instantly realize they requested several

Last edited:
As Paul stated, this wasn't meant in any way to take advantage of people's talent. If you would have read carefully, we ask merely for 15 seconds of recording, hardly a steal of anybody's music repertoire. Plus, this is meant to cater among the pod listeners, that enjoy it and want to help us producing even better content and feel somehow more connected to it. If nobody feels like doing it, then nobody is forced to do anything. If we don't get any submission, it is perfectly fine, we won't hold any grudge, we'll just have to resort to a different solution.
I produce music from time to time, and "15 secs of recording" is about 8 hours in production between the composition and the master, besides the tool required for a semipro/pro sounding.
A 15 secs jingle could cost 10k, in manwork and hardware required.

Aside this, I am not attaking the contest. It's legit, but at least, give some reward.

If you listen to the podcasts and enjoy them, then you would probably feel like you owe them something, for all the hours they spend collectively deciding what to discuss, taking time out of their lives and recording some entertainment for us all to enjoy.

The work that goes on behind the scenes here is nothing short of staggering, these guys are working hard in their own time, yet no one appears to be arguing their case, how much is their time worth?

No, don't worry about that, just consume it, it's yours for the taking after all, and then when they try to inject a little fun competition to see who would like to attempt creating some new sounds for the podcast, jump all over it and argue how RD are trying to take someone's time and talent without paying for it...

Sounds a little hypocritical to me... but that's just me.
(not the views of the site owners, it's staff or any of it's members)

Last edited:
I produce music from time to time, and "15 secs of recording" is about 8 hours in production between the composition and the master, besides the tool required for a semipro/pro sounding.

Aside this, I am not attaking the contest. It's legit, but at least, give some reward.
Not sure @ShredatorFIN was spending 8 hours for his theme and stabs...

I'm very sure he instead had some fun time and got nice comments and likes from us :)

Tbh you could stick your phone next to your mates cars exhaust while they do launch Control and send that in with you singing happy birthday over the top of it, no one is asking anyone to spend hours in a studio, as good as it may sound if you did.

I used to be a graphic designer in my previous role, if the pod had asked for a new logo as part of a competition I’d have happily sat and had a go and entered it, not sat back and said “oo well normally I’d charge £150 an hour for this I want some form of payment”

No one is doubting the effort required to make a really decent contribution, but if you don’t want to go to that effort without loads of recognition then just don’t do it. It’s quite simple.

Last edited:

Well, how do you feel my jingle sounds, in the given (rock) genre? I think they sound decent within the genre. I mean it's just a jingle, most Podcast jingles are terrible elevator music anyway

Took me about 10 min to record, really wouldn't use my actually good ideas for something with no payment. The main riff I came up with the other day, rest is just rock cliches, leads improvised on the spot

Reaper is free DAW, and while my mixing / mastering was done in maybe 20 seconds, Reaper can be used to produce pro class mixing (even with default plugins), it's no worse than ProTools really, ProTools just became industry standard years ago, when not much else existed. For example:

There's lot of free quality VSTs too. Only thing that cost money was Superior Drummer 3 (absolutely great drum VST), but it was less than my FFB wheel, and I'd have it anyway, just like the guitar

Last edited:
Tbh you could stick your phone next to your mates cars exhaust while they do launch Control and send that in with you singing happy birthday over the top of it, no one is asking anyone to spend hours in a studio, as good as it may sound if you did.

I used to be a graphic designer in my previous role, if the pod had asked for a new logo as part of a competition I’d have happily sat and had a go and entered it, not sat back and said “oo well normally I’d charge £150 an hour for this I want some form of payment”

No one is doubting the effort required to make a really decent contribution, but if you don’t want to go to that effort without loads of recognition then just don’t do it. It’s quite simple.

Fancy making a new logo? Lol’s

I kind of feel that some members are taking this way to seriously.
Is there nothing nowadays that doesn't need all the fun and joy sucked out of it. :(
No, no... I am just saying, It's like the tech friend that calibrates TV or repairs computers. They have study a lot for that and people tend to think that pressing a button that anyone could press, is not work and easy, and it isn't, to press that button there's maybe years of experience, work and study.

Do you think the same if I say:

hey! I make a contest, I am building my house! whoever does better walls in my house wins! paint also is taken in consideration to win!
It's the same situation here.

Not sure @ShredatorFIN was spending 8 hours for his theme and stabs...

I'm very sure he instead had some fun time and got nice comments and likes from us :)
Say that to the guy that put the bricks of your house. Sure he has fun doing it. Doing this kind of things some works are slowly dying.
Sure this web doenst need complete pro jingle, I don't mean that, I only saying that being a composer is a work, doing it for free it's not right.
But I am ok with the contest anyways. I said, just to put some visibility and give the importance they have to composers or any other "my friend does it" job.

Well, how do you feel my jingle sounds, in the given (rock) genre? I think they sound decent within the genre. I mean it's just a jingle, most Podcast jingles are terrible elevator music anyway

Took me about 10 min to record, really wouldn't use my actually good ideas for something with no payment. The main riff I came up with the other day, rest is just rock cliches, leads improvised on the spot

Reaper is free DAW, and while my mixing / mastering was done in maybe 20 seconds, Reaper can be used to produce pro class mixing (even with default plugins), it's no worse than ProTools really, ProTools just became industry standard years ago, when not much else existed. For example:

There's lot of free quality VSTs too. Only thing that cost money was Superior Drummer 3 (absolutely great drum VST), but it was less than my FFB wheel, and I'd have it anyway, just like the guitar
I heard that superior library heheh. The work for me is really good, mostly a good player makes everything easy, and you are. You used somehitng like 6 guitar records over there!

Just put in value your work man! that guitar playing must be tons of study and practice!

(Reaper is not free, but they let you use it If you don't pay).

No, no... I am just saying, It's like the tech friend that calibrates TV or repairs computers
But it's not like that, there is no pressure on anyone to submit anything, I understand as someone who built and repaired computers for friends and acquaintances for 25 years the time involved. I did it for free because I liked the challenge.
But at no point in the podcast request did I consider it anything like that.
I have the utmost love and respect for both composers and musicians, as a consumer. I bought my first 12" shellac record when I was 7 (it was highlights from the Mikado if anyone's interested) and have continued buying music to this present day.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 268 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 394 40.1%