Music Maker? We Have A Podcast Competition For You!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Calling all RaceDepartment Podcast fans with a talent for making musical goodness... we need a new jingle and stabs for the RD Podacast - and we want your help!

Yes, believe it or not simply the sound of our voices is not enough to produce the full audio entertainment experience we so greatly desire for the Podcast going forward, and as such, we wondered if the glorious RaceDepartment community could help us out with some musical inspiration!

What's Needed.
  • Musical into - approx 15 - 30 secs, any genre or style.
  • Section stabs - used to break up sections within the Podcast. Wiki definition of a stab: HERE.
How to Submit
Please submit links or files with your music ideas to racedepartmentpodcast@gmail.com for us to collate ahead of the next podcast episode. Be sure to state your forum name within the email, so we know who sent it!

Depending on the level of response, the RaceDepartment Podcast team will review all or some of these on air during the recording of our next Podcast episode.

When Does It Close?
The submission deadline will be Friday 6th November, in order to give @Paul Glover enough time to work out how to play them back to the rest of the team when we record the episode.

We absolutely cannot wait to hear what our incredible community come up with, and look forward to the potential new sound of the RaceDepartment Podcast in future! The creator of the winning entry will be invited onto the relevant podcast episode to talk about their winning sounds, and we look forward to welcoming you onto the show!

Have fun creating, and thank you for your support!

Not sure what the RaceDepartment Podcast is all about? No worries, check out our latest episode below and catch up on previous broadcasts with the useful links to many of the current Podcast providers.

Podcast Links:

Please do feel free to leave us a review on your podcast service - help spread the word!

Do you have any special requests for future episodes? Do you want to share your thoughts, comments and feedback on what direction the show could take going forward? Please do let us know in the comments section, and at the RD Podcast sub forum location.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
This is absolutely wrong IMO. Producing music is a talent that should be paid for. And hosting a 'Competition ' with no prize is insulting to everyone involved. Or let me guess, the winner will get great exposure?

We would likely give free premium to the winner or get them on the pod.

It's not meant to be insulting, it was to have some fun and I'm sure some may come up with weird and wonderful ideas. Bringing this great community together,

Last edited:
This is absolutely wrong IMO. Producing music is a talent that should be paid for. And hosting a 'Competition ' with no prize is insulting to everyone involved. Or let me guess, the winner will get great exposure?

As Paul stated, this wasn't meant in any way to take advantage of people's talent. If you would have read carefully, we ask merely for 15 seconds of recording, hardly a steal of anybody's music repertoire. Plus, this is meant to cater among the pod listeners, that enjoy it and want to help us producing even better content and feel somehow more connected to it. If nobody feels like doing it, then nobody is forced to do anything. If we don't get any submission, it is perfectly fine, we won't hold any grudge, we'll just have to resort to a different solution.

This suggestion would have us copyright struck into oblivion but it’d be cool to play a selection of past racing game intro music every pod. Different one each time. I mentioned in a previous comment, the F1 99 intro, but there have been many great ones over the years. Indy Car Series had a great intro, I think it was Queens of the stoneage :D

So is modding, content making or any other form art. What many people seem to do for free.
That musical talent is debatable. If you have a real musical talent you probabaly already make some money with it. Otherwise it's a hobby.
They won't ask you to make a hitsong where they get all the money.

By that logic, all volunteer staff here (like me) should also be paid, but we all know that that's not financially feasible. We do this because we love racing, not as employment.

Your logic would be fine if the final product was a commercial endeavor, but for a volunteer-led site like this (which sure, has premium memberships, but only to cover the cost of race server operation), it really doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I really don't know how you can turn a request for the community that listen to these podcasts, for free I might add, from the team that put it together, also for free, into something sinister like conning people out of money for not paying for their talent. Its 15 to 30 seconds man.
This is just a bit of fun for people that have some musical talent, and that listen to the podcasts, a chance to make something that could end up being featured on the show.
WTF1 received a user created jingle for one of their segments, for free, and they loved it.
Not everything has a dollar value attached to it, some would even call it "giving back".
I for one would love to, but my musical talents are about the level of a 2 year old with a xylophone...

By that logic, all volunteer staff here (like me) should also be paid, but we all know that that's not financially feasible. We do this because we love racing, not as employment.

Your logic would be fine if the final product was a commercial endeavor, but for a volunteer-led site like this (which sure, has premium memberships, but only to cover the cost of race server operation), it really doesn't make sense.

Provide documentation that RD is a registered non-profit, or else get used to people getting angry when you beg for free things.

Provide documentation that RD is a registered non-profit, or else get used to people getting angry when you beg for free things.

6fe.jpg

I am an events volunteer here, I'm not begging for anything. I don't work for RaceDepartment, have no involvement in the podcasts or operation, and I have no relation to this post. I just independently think the complaint is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I play a bit of guitar as a hobby, here's my submissions:

Theme: Stab:
Stab is basically just the beginning of the theme. If you use it, RD premium would be nice :D Don't need other "payment" was fun doing it and I would've played guitar today anyway

Edit: Now I noticed it said stabs in plural, few others:

https://***********/y6nhyg72
https://***********/y4hoqj3b
https://***********/y3gkbjbo
https://***********/y4qentzm

Last edited:
I play a bit of guitar as a hobby, here's my submissions:

Theme: Stab:
Stab is basically just the beginning of the theme. If you use it, RD premium would be nice :D Don't need other "payment" was fun doing it and I would've played guitar today anyway
Awesome stuff!! I play guitar too and that was a proper recording sir!

The Theme might be a bit over the top but I love the Stab!!!

This is absolutely wrong IMO. Producing music is a talent that should be paid for
It was hardly asking for a symphony.
get used to people getting angry when you beg for free things
Who was begging, you really are a glass half full kinda guy.
It’s thanks to the unpaid, as in free, efforts of the staff that RD is the biggest sim racing site around. Most reasonable people recognise that not everything needs to have a price tag and the staff here give up their free time to help the community.
Calling a lighthearted request begging is just ridiculous.

Awesome stuff!! I play guitar too and that was a proper recording sir!

The Theme might be a bit over the top but I love the Stab!!!
that kicks asses majorly

Thanks guys :D Just random riffs I've been tossing around. Programmed drums (duh) and bass by me too. Speaking of over the top, something else I recorded:

Just improvising some rock cliches. Dunno what that could be used for (probably nothing) but you are free to use it, if you need music for RD video or something

Last edited:
Thanks guys :D Just random riffs I've been tossing around. Programmed drums (duh) and bass by me too. Speaking of over the top, something else I recorded:

Just improvising some rock cliches. Dunno what that could be used for (probably nothing) but you are free to use it, if you need music for RD video or something
If you want me to shred the bass lines for you just shout. Bought a bass a few years ago as I just couldn't get a decent chugging metal bass out of the various vst...

I just couldn't get a decent chugging metal bass out of the various vst...
Same, I got VST basses but programming is such a headache I got a cheap bass (that's actually my real playing, bad wording there). But thanks for the offer, maybe I send you some stuff some day to record, playing bass isn't really my thing :D (Beats fighting with VSTs though)

Last edited:
Same, I got VST basses but programming is such a headache I got a cheap bass (that's actually my real playing, bad wording there). But thanks for the offer, maybe I send you some stuff some day to record, playing bass isn't really my thing :D (Beats fighting with VSTs though)
Ah okay! I wondered about the tight sounding vst hehe. Slides and syncing with the guitar "finger charme" is so difficult to program well..

I played bass in the school Bigband for 4 years. Free bonus grade lol, guitar was already taken...
But in a big band, bass is way more fun!
Anyway, I'd say I'm almost as much of a bass player as I am a guitarist.
When guitar becomes too fiddly, bending some thick steel is great fun for a change :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 89 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 98 13.9%