Alright when was that again.....?

I've just seen the very sad news that Murray Walker has died.

He was a companion to us all on Sunday afternoons and no one did more to bring a passion and enthusiasm for Motorsport to the masses.

Rest in peace Murray. The Motorsport world salutes you for you many years of service to us all.

I've just seen the very sad news that Murray Walker has died.

He was a companion to us all on Sunday afternoons and no one did more to bring a passion and enthusiasm for Motorsport to the masses.

Rest in peace Murray. The Motorsport world salutes you for you many years of service to us all.

Yeah seen it too, sure PJ will get an article up. An absolute legend, his voice was F1 when I was a kid. RIP Murray.

Last edited:
It is with great sadness that we report the passing of much loved Formula One and motorsport commentator Murray Walker today, aged 97.

Known by almost everyone as the voice of Formula One racing, Graeme Murray Walker OBE was without doubt one of the most distinctive, loved and admired sports commentators in broadcasting, lending his iconic tones to Formula One coverage full time from 1978 until his retirement at the conclusion of the 2001 racing season.

Known for his lovable enthusiasm and the occasion hilarious 'Murrayism', Walkers style behind the microphone was once described by Australian comedian Clive James as "even at his quietest, he sounds as if his trousers are on fire", such was the enthusiastic and engaging tones Murray Walker could bring to even the most processional of races.

Murray Walker 1.jpg

Murray Walker began his career in advertising (Walker devised the "Opal Fruits, made to make your mouth water." slogan), following retirement from Military service as a Royal Scots Greys Captain. In 1948 he made his debut in live motorsport broadcasting at the Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb, before performing radio broadcasting duties at the 1949 British Grand Prix - the year before the sport morphed into the Formula One we know today.

Loved by generations of motorsport fans, Murray Walker will forever be known as 'Mr. Motorsport' thanks to his enviable ability to bring the joy, passion and excitement into the living rooms of families throughout the world.

mw-50.jpg

One of the absolute giants of the sport, gone but never, ever forgotten.

Thank you, Murray Walker - your time on this Earth has been one of great joy and success. Rest in peace sir, you've earned it.

Some particularly impressive Murrayisms:

"Unless I am very much mistaken.... I AM very much mistaken!"
"Mansell is slowing down, taking it easy. Oh no he isn't IT'S A LAP RECORD."
"This is an interesting circuit, because it has inclines. And not just up, but down as well."
"The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical."
"The most important part of the car is the nut that holds the wheel."
"I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump."
"Tambay's hopes, which were nil before, are absolutely zero now."
"And there's no damage to the car. Except to the car itself."
"That's the first time he had started from the front row in a Grand Prix, having done so in Canada earlier this year."
"How you can crash into a wall without it being there in the first place is beyond me!"
"Excuse me while I interrupt myself"
"And the first five places are filled by five different cars."

Murray Walker.jpg

A selection of social media messages from motorsport personalities commenting on the sad news today:

All at RaceDepartment offer our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Murray Walker, who is survived by wife of 60 years, Elisabeth.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 456 39.3%