F1 2013 Multiplayer help!

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
I've avoided playing F1 games online for years, but I decided to give it a try with F1 2013.
I'm confused.
1) how do I mute myself? I get constant feedback from my mic throughout the session, and get other racers constantly asking me to switch it off! I can see how to mute others, but not myself.
2) How do you set up the car in advance? When I go into a session, there is hardly enough time to set up the car before qualy/race begins.
My experience has been bad, with 'first corner idiots' spoiling the race, or others who just hang around the track waiting to shunt me off. Is this normal for multiplay?
Any help appreciated.

I'm not sure what type of headset you are using, but on mine i can turn my mic off with a switch... do you have one of those? If not, just try playing without the headset, there is probably something wrong with it if people keep getting feedback from you.

I always do setup work before-hand in GP mode. Just set up a race that you want to run and do all your setup work in the Free Practice session before Quali. You can also do setup work in TT (Time Trial) but there is no tyre wear or fuel weight factored in, so what might work in TT might not work in a race.

I have avoided the online public lobbies since first getting F1 2010 years ago, they never change. There are always wankers that try to punt you off. And it's worse if you're new to the game and still trying to get a handle on the car. I'd suggest trying to join a league or Club races if you want to get some "fair" racing in.

Thanks for that.
I'm not using any headset. Is it not possible to mute myself like the the other players somehow? There is the feedback issue, but also I get tired of listening to other players background noise when they join after I've 'muted all players'.
With respect to joining a league or Club race, where would be a good place to start looking for them?

hmmm. No headset... Are you using a controller or a wheel? If the feedback is indeed from you then there is an issue with whatever you're using. A controller is easy to switch out, wheels are more expensive.

There is a section for Club races and a section for Leagues at the top of the 2013 page.

Thanks.
I'm using a G27, but I can't see what that has to do with my microphone. Can you explain a bit further?
When I'm in a race, I can see the speaker symbol against my name, and any slight sound from me shows up on screen with bars added to the speaker symbol.
There surely must be a way of muting myself in-game.

What platform are you on?

I use xbox and can't think at the moment how to do it (I'm at work)

Does the wheel have a spot to plug a headset? If so, try plugging something into it. Even a cell phone headset with speakers and a mic should work.
I would guess (and i STRESS guess) that there an issue with it and plugging something into it might help.

If you're on PC or PS3 maybe someone else can chime in with some advice.

So then there should be a computer setting somewhere (not in-game) that you can turn the mic either down or off. Probably in the sound settings somewhere. I'm not a MAC user so i don't know where to direct you exactly.

Thanks a lot guys, but I'm still confused.
I don't think I should have to switch hardware settings on and off to achieve this, and I can't see where I can set 'Voice' to 'None'.
Sorry to be so dense about this. I don't even know what TS is!

Thanks sacron, I think that might be the answer I'm looking for. I'm away for the weekend, but I'll try on Monday.
Andrew, I still can't see what this has to do with the G27. I'm obviously missing something.
I still don't know what TS or GL is, I'm afraid.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 129 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 473 39.0%