Multifunctional Sim Rig? Racing + Regular Gaming/Productivity?

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has built a sim rig that meets all the regular racing needs but can also transition to a regular gaming setup (FPS shooter, sports, ect) and also productivity. I see the keyboard attachments for rigs that swing to the side, but there's no way those can be used for fps gaming and productivity typing. It seems like a waste having a beautiful monitor that you can only use for one purpose... especially if you also have your speakers, PC, other nice peripherals attached. Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

• Deleted member 197115

If you want to avoid dual setup with shared PC, your best bet is lapboard, all these swing style keyboard trays are not suitable for intense gaming.

Upvote 0
My keyboard is on a wood tray that slides in and out under my wheel (I have an 8020 rig I built). I don't do other gaming but I do use my rig for all of my other computing needs. Works a charm.

Upvote 0
My keyboard is on a wood tray that slides in and out under my wheel (I have an 8020 rig I built). I don't do other gaming but I do use my rig for all of my other computing needs. Works a charm.
this is exactly what I was envisioning. A tray that slides out from underneath the wheel and is stable (and can maybe be locked into position?). Do you have a picture? Only problem I would see is maybe not a ton of room for the mouse

Upvote 0
From my post in the before vs. after Lockdown thread:
Just yesterday i have moved both monitors up a bit and bolted the wheel frame directly to the rig (without the hinges) as I am expecting my CSL DD soon. The arm of the keyboard tray will then be below the wheel shaft when the rim is removed.
The keyboard tray itself is rock solid with the 40x120 profile and two hinges at each of the two articulation points. I wouldn't recommend it for competitive shooters, but for the occational single player FPS it works quite well. However, for productivity you would probably need more desk/storage space.

Upvote 0
Here's a couple of pics of my solution. As you can see, I have my mouse on a separate platform so just the keyboard slides back and forth. I basically mounted two short drawer sliders on wood which, in turn, is mounted onto a piece of 8020. That is mounted under the cross member that holds my wheel. I'm not a keyboard aficionado so I went with whatever I could find that was A) minimal in size, and B) the keys are backlit. One of those popular mechanical keyboards would fit as long as it doesn't have a numeric keypad on the side. Of course, if I didn't have those brackets, I could fit a full size keyboard but for my purposes - I didn't need to go there.

rig1.jpg
rig2.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back