AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5 @ Watkins Glen - Wednesday 19th January 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Another great race in the bag...as we brits say..After last weeks dark moment,and we get them,very rare, but justice was swift,served and executed in the right manner...This is what makes our club, i think 1 of the best out there...Yes we make contact,have a bump,make a mistake....BUT we do the right thing and WAIT!!!! then carry on....Moving on..

This race was up there as 1 i will remember for a long time..I love this track,i love this car..I love KEBABS...(Oh secrets out)...
A great start,pulling away to a comfortable lead when off i went at the esses ,thinking of that juicy kebab,chilli sauce,salad,meats...mmmm, STOP IT!!:D..So this gave Andre the catch up he needed and boy the race was on,,Carsten was on point sitting in 3rd,briefly taking 2nd early on and doing great:thumbsup:..To and fro Andrea, ooppsss i mean Andre:p we were trading places even at 1 point for a whole lap virtually side by side...now thats racing,so it can be done guys..Also have to point out, the Audis did a great job been patient and biding there time....
50kg BALLAST!!!!!...Is that fair..Is that LEGAL lol...
Another great combo Han..:thumbsup:..Looking forward to VIR..Another brilliant track...Stay safe c u guys soooon..:)

After this very enjoyable event, here's the next one. I hope it will be just as pleasant for everyone!

Last edited:
After some lonely laps I managed to pass Erik then Omar. I was then looking to catch Wim but couldn't shake Omar. He passed me again and we had a couple of side by side racing laps.

I got past again after t1 and up the hill but I moved back onto the racing line a fraction early and caught the front of Omar's car which spun me. All my fault, Omar.

I had a look at the replay today and oh, if I only dared to take a little bit more of the kerb (curb?) we would've continued battling for some other lap, what a fun it was! Sorry for the outcome, of the touch for as little as it was, was fatal!

Had a good start despite starting last, tried to stay consistent this time and not overdrive, and at least I managed not to spin for the entire race duration, even though I hade a couple of code brown moments, many for my faults, and once because someone in front of me spun at the Toe, don't know if it was Wim or Erik or someone other. I struggled in some point (especially the Toe and T1), but managed to reach a decent pace which led me to chasing each other with Wim, Erik and Douglas depending on the race part we're talking about. Overall a very enjoyable race, looking forward to the next one, don't know if I'll be able to get a decent pace for VIR :cry:

Cheers to the winners and podium finishers, and thanks Han for organizing!

Last edited:
This was not an easy one but a great one. So glad to bring this home. After good qualy in P2 I was a little worried as I was not sure where the limit is on the low starting grip. Was on practice server yesterday but grip was already 100% there.
Thomas, your message gives me the opportunity to make a question regarding how the grip is building up during practice and race. I know that we recently started to start the races (no pun intended) with a lower grip level and then grip builds up during the race itself. However, I too had the impression (given the easiness in getting "good" times - for my skills, that is) that the practice server had a better level of grip right from the beginning, or at least from the beginning of my practice sessions. Han, would you detail if there's some sort of grip evolution also in the practice server? and how is it building, over the whole week or does it reset, say every day?

Thomas, your message gives me the opportunity to make a question regarding how the grip is building up during practice and race. I know that we recently started to start the races (no pun intended) with a lower grip level and then grip builds up during the race itself. However, I too had the impression (given the easiness in getting "good" times - for my skills, that is) that the practice server had a better level of grip right from the beginning, or at least from the beginning of my practice sessions. Han, would you detail if there's some sort of grip evolution also in the practice server? and how is it building, over the whole week or does it reset, say every day?
Yes I can clarify that. There's a setting called 'laps to improve grip'. You can see that in the event configuration. This determines how many laps are needed to improve the grip with 1%. One car does one lap so if we race with 20 cars and this setting is 20 then when we all did one lap, the grip improves with 1%.

For the s.gp event I roughly calculate this setting based on the expected number of participants to be at grip 100% after 20 minutes. If there are more drivers, it will go faster.

On the practice server I put this setting on 1 because there's often only on driver on the server. For that driver the grip will improve with every lap. But if there are 3 drivers, it improves 3x as fast.

I hope I've explained this clearly enough. But if not, don't hesitate to ask questions.

EDIT: on next weeks practice server I've put the setting now on 2 so the grip will improve twice as slow.

Last edited:
That´s actually a good question.
(Hint: I use the app " RacerData" which gives me relative times, fuel data and the current grip level.)

So at least I know th grip level when dumping the clutch
As Han said above the race grip usually starts around 95% and needs around 20 min to get to 100%.

The training server usually starts in the same vicinity but I feel it evolves more quickly, so for the third or fourth driver to join the server it´s usally 100%.

To get some low grip race training I use AI races on my local machine.

MFG Carsten

Edith says:

OK, almost right about the measurement to improve :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Omar, one of the HUD elements (the one that shows your relative position with the other drivers) has the grip level, air temperature, track temperature and wind speed. Not sure if you have that enabled but it helps to see why you are slower than you expect.

Edit, reading your post I think you are already aware of that. :)

Last edited:
That´s actually a good question.
(Hint: I use the app " RacerData" which gives me relative times, fuel data and the current grip level.)

So at least I know th grip level when dumping the clutch
As Han said above the race grip usually starts around 95% and needs around 20 min to get to 100%.

The training server usually starts in the same vicinity but I feel it evolves more quickly, so for the third or fourth driver to join the server it´s usally 100%.

To get some low grip race training I use AI races on my local machine.

MFG Carsten

Edith says:

OK, almost right about the measurement to improve :rolleyes:
This week I've set 'laps to improve grip' to 2 so grip level will raise twice as slow. For the practice server.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, VIR would've been too low of a challenge if you didn't! :cautious:

And.. as only idiots never change their minds, here I am saying (and retracting what I said on Discord after the Watkins glen race when Han anticipated next week's circuit) that when driven using a proper wheel this is a very enjoyable circuit, yet a lot challenging. I used to try to drive it in Forza 7 with a joypad and always got utterly frustrated but using assetto and the TX is a joy.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%