AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5 @ Portimao, Wednesday 28th April 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks for the fun race chaps! Ended up dead last due to a spin, still don't know if due to contact with an orange Audi trying to pass me of my own demise, gotta check the replay. Lost places but managed to catch up @davejevons at the end... coz i wasn't saving fuel haha! We had a great fight the last half of the race.

I think following the F1 calendar is a good idea but, does it mean we also have weeks with no races? Just wondering...

if Monaco doesn't work, Seattle is an option, probably more suited to multi-class races for being broader.

That was a great race. I was under pressure the whole race from @JamKart22, great driving from him. Made a mistake two or three laps before finish but could stay ahead, but it was close to lose position. Lapping Han we had a good fight going three wide downhill, push to pass got me back into P2.
Messed up qualy, got track limits and no clean lap. Think I did .54 or even .53 lap times in practice on softs yesterday. Started P6 but was in P2 after couple laps.

Great event again @HF2000 thx for organizing.
Cu next time

Thanks for organizing the race guys. Considering it was my first race, I thought it went alright. I lost a few positions at the start because I was afraid I was gonna break too late for the first turn and ruin people's races (not a problem against the AI ).

I was able to keep up with everyone for the first few laps and had a couple of good fuels with people. I think it was Dom who span out when he tried to overtake me. That was the most exciting part of the race for me. We drove side by side through 3 corners and I ended up on the inside of the hairpin. The rest of the race was very lonely, but consistent. My seemingly perfect laps were 2:08.5 at best and whatever I tried, I couldn't really find more time. So finished safely mid pack, away from everyone.

If anyone has any ideas how to find more time, please let me know. I watched some guides and I tried a variety of lines through the tricky corners. I tried with and without abs and traction control and while I enjoy it more without those, I was about 1 second faster with them on.

Thanks again for organizing, see you again in 2 weeks!

Last edited:
I think following the F1 calendar is a good idea but, does it mean we also have weeks with no races? Just wondering...
No, as long as there are such a great grid with all you drivers, I will organize every week an event. Like the Nordschleife event on 12 May which I deliberate planned in a week without F1. And I have lots of idea's for other non F1 weeks.

Actually I didn't spin but an Audi hit me first on the inside in T3 and came from the outside on my racingline in T4. We collided and I went off track. He didn't wait for me.
I've already send him a PM. Fortunately after that we had some fun in the last laps although it was hard for me to get my pace back. Saying that I was pissed would be an understatement.

Thanks all for joining! Apart from that certain Audi compliments to all Audi's for such a patient and respectful overtaking!
@HF2000 Han that sucks to hear, especially from getting hit by other class. However, it let us 3 race till the photo finish at the end. However, you gave me quite the scare I think couple laps toward the end out of T1, I was right behind you in the exit and you suddenly swerved to the right!! I was too far to have hit you but you came right back so I was lucky to finish in front of you, haha! Checking the replay it looks like you caught too much of the inside curb :D
Guys,

I'd like some feedback from you. Do you like following (or rather preceding) the F1 as the track where we are going in the same week?

Second question: After Spain comes Monaco in the F1. As far as I know, there isn't a (good) mod for that track for AC. Are you willing to learn a other street circuit for the Monaco week? I promise it will be great fun!

EDIT: There's one mod but it seems to have performance problems. I will try it but it would help it some other try it too and give me their findings.
Hi Han, I agree with the others that it is nice to be able to learn the tracks, makes watching the races interesting. However, I don't really fancy doing them all with the current mx5/TT combo...first, some F1 circuits are just plain boring and shouldn't even be on the calendar. With the amount of content that we have access to in AC, I don't agree that we should have 23 weeks restricted to all these circuits. Second, some F1 circuits can be quite long and fast, making them better races for say GT3s or faster cars. By all means, the Sunday gt3 races can follow the calendar 100% but I feel that with this class we can have more fun at tracks that don't get the attention they deserve, like Okayama or Laguna for example. I feel the club races come back to the popular ones a little too often, why not make use of the great mods we have??

And if I may add, is it possible to change the times of the races (in-game), mix it up a little instead of high noon all the time? Haha, I understand that no one wants to be distracted, but having a race start at say 8am or at sunset when the lighting is different could make races more interesting. This way we can make full use of how far AC has come in terms of technology. If everyone is okay with that we could even have a night race once in a while! Not everybody is using or able to use CM and sol and I understand that, but for the ones that do why not enjoy it, it is part of the simming experience.

As for Monaco, F1 is already clear enough that racing and passing is kind of nonexistent, and pure lap pace decides the order. I don't mind, but like I mentioned, we have so much else to choose from...

Just my 2c!
Hi Han, first of all many thanks for organising another good race.

I like the format of following the F1 calendar, it gives the club race some context.

As for my race, well after finding a good set up and being quick in practice and no too bad in qualifying, I totally forgot about the Audi ‘no clutch ‘ peculiarity and moved at the start giving me a drive through penalty after bogging off the line.

Having to make my way through from dead last was interesting and apologies for any MX5 drivers if I made any unconventional passes.

I was catching Doug but the drive through was just too much to make up in the time.

Thanks again and looking forward to the next one!
Lol I actually had a clear view of you at the start, and saw the jump it was hilarious! After the first lap I was thinking how on earth are the Audi's already lapping us (that was you passing by)

I noticed the Air/Track temp last night was 28C/39C and I guess I'd expected it to be the same as the the GT3 Sunday race. I assume the practice server was also higher but didn't notice.

It might be useful to note the track temp in the initial post. In the end the only change I needed to make to the setup was a tweek to tyre pressures.

I noticed the Air/Track temp last night was 28C/39C and I guess I'd expected it to be the same as the the GT3 Sunday race. I assume the practice server was also higher but didn't notice.

It might be useful to note the track temp in the initial post. In the end the only change I needed to make to the setup was a tweek to tyre pressures.
Good point of noting it in the thread! I will do that. For the multiclass I use the local average air temperature in July to give it a bit realism and fairly high temperatures because the MX5 tyres stay very cold. The GT3 race have 20C/26C temperatures because Chris found out that with those temperatures the use of softs and mediums are than viable options.

@HF2000 Han that sucks to hear, especially from getting hit by other class. However, it let us 3 race till the photo finish at the end. However, you gave me quite the scare I think couple laps toward the end out of T1, I was right behind you in the exit and you suddenly swerved to the right!! I was too far to have hit you but you came right back so I was lucky to finish in front of you, haha! Checking the replay it looks like you caught too much of the inside curb :D

Hi Han, I agree with the others that it is nice to be able to learn the tracks, makes watching the races interesting. However, I don't really fancy doing them all with the current mx5/TT combo...first, some F1 circuits are just plain boring and shouldn't even be on the calendar. With the amount of content that we have access to in AC, I don't agree that we should have 23 weeks restricted to all these circuits. Second, some F1 circuits can be quite long and fast, making them better races for say GT3s or faster cars. By all means, the Sunday gt3 races can follow the calendar 100% but I feel that with this class we can have more fun at tracks that don't get the attention they deserve, like Okayama or Laguna for example. I feel the club races come back to the popular ones a little too often, why not make use of the great mods we have??

And if I may add, is it possible to change the times of the races (in-game), mix it up a little instead of high noon all the time? Haha, I understand that no one wants to be distracted, but having a race start at say 8am or at sunset when the lighting is different could make races more interesting. This way we can make full use of how far AC has come in terms of technology. If everyone is okay with that we could even have a night race once in a while! Not everybody is using or able to use CM and sol and I understand that, but for the ones that do why not enjoy it, it is part of the simming experience.

As for Monaco, F1 is already clear enough that racing and passing is kind of nonexistent, and pure lap pace decides the order. I don't mind, but like I mentioned, we have so much else to choose from...

Just my 2c!

Lol I actually had a clear view of you at the start, and saw the jump it was hilarious! After the first lap I was thinking how on earth are the Audi's already lapping us (that was you passing by)
Very good point of Monaco and overtaking. I will try it with AI but on forehand I think you're right. It's probably why we never raced there in this community before.

@HF2000
Following the F1 calender is ok as long it's not boring Bahrain again :)
I would like to have a race at Monaco, could be an interesting experience (especially online :D ) but I'm in doubt if the track is suitable for multi-class racing. I thinkt the best would be to go there with a slow car like the Mazda as the track might be challanging enough.

Last edited:
I like that we follow the F1 calendar, adds to the overal enjoyment.

Monaco, a track we have to drive, could work with the Mazdas but GT3 will be interesting :D
I wouldn't be against a substitute street track for the GT3s.

Hello guys. I didn't manage to connect as I finished doing helping my son with the homework at 10 in the night (the race was already ongoing). Should anybody have a replay I'd be very happy to have a look at it and compare my lap times with the ones of the other Mazdas to find out where I lack pace.

@HF2000 with regards to following the F1 calendar I also agree that it is a good idea and helps when watching the race on Sunday to understand which part of the track they are in, and why not having the idea of whether, say, an overtake was easy or if the driver was brave enough to try in a very hard point. Increases the immersivity of the F1 race :)

Han, the Moto layout is the traditional last corner, not the Mickey Mouse chicane.

I much prefer the traditional one. I think the rest of the track is the same. Happy to race either, though.
Thanks Douglas but if you don't mind I'll stick to the same lay out as the F1 uses. The chicane is very important for the laptime because it's the exit for the long straight and thus also for overtaking. Personally note: I suck in that chicane and I almost hate it because it's there where I loose a lot of time to others.

Thanks for organizing the race guys. Considering it was my first race, I thought it went alright. I lost a few positions at the start because I was afraid I was gonna break too late for the first turn and ruin people's races (not a problem against the AI ).

I was able to keep up with everyone for the first few laps and had a couple of good fuels with people. I think it was Dom who span out when he tried to overtake me. That was the most exciting part of the race for me. We drove side by side through 3 corners and I ended up on the inside of the hairpin. The rest of the race was very lonely, but consistent. My seemingly perfect laps were 2:08.5 at best and whatever I tried, I couldn't really find more time. So finished safely mid pack, away from everyone.

If anyone has any ideas how to find more time, please let me know. I watched some guides and I tried a variety of lines through the tricky corners. I tried with and without abs and traction control and while I enjoy it more without those, I was about 1 second faster with them on.

Thanks again for organizing, see you again in 2 weeks!

I struggle with the Mazda, I should really put some effort in with it, Strange car, lulls you into a false sense of security, then when you don't expect it, it bites.
I noticed I had quite a radicle setup compared to most, as far as I can tell, it gave me no advantages at all. I run TC and ABS, not sure they are implemented enough to take care of the moments of excess on the drivers part.
I really again struggle without ABS especially, and TC, so it is obvious that I implement it.
A long-winded way of saying, stock setup, ABS and TC , as you have already discovered.
No TC is quickest, but it requires a skill I do not have, the manual gearbox is noticeably quicker too, how much I do not know. the car spends 3/10th of a second in neutral, so if you can blast it through the gears?:O_o: Good luck with that.
The best way to go, maybe reduce the camber back and front slightly.
As for circuit time, that is just practice, finding which are the quickest lines and eventually combining them into a lap,
first thing I notice about those fellow drivers that come from a galaxy far far away is they seem to naturally and quickly sort that out in their heads, they then can repeat it lap after lap.
Sorry not to be of more help, the Mazda is not a car that I like very much, maybe someone else can put their views together for you, better.

I want to thank all who have given me feedback. Now some feedback back (I love english :D ).
  • Temperatures added in new thread.
  • We will keep following F1 but with multiclass only if it's not too boring (and I'd like your input on that, please)
  • I've tried Monaco with AI and I don't think it's a good idea to go there. I have a very good alternative for that week in mind for both events. You can guess here and the winner gets a beer from me.
  • Circuit time. I didn't make up my mind yet. I have to try it first. So not in the coming weeks but it promises to be a good option to spice things up.

I want to thank all who have given me feedback. Now some feedback back (I love english :D ).
  • Temperatures added in new thread.
  • We will keep following F1 but with multiclass only if it's not too boring (and I'd like your input on that, please)
  • I've tried Monaco with AI and I don't think it's a good idea to go there. I have a very good alternative for that week in mind for both events. You can guess here and the winner gets a beer from me.
  • Circuit time. I didn't make up my mind yet. I have to try it first. So not in the coming weeks but it promises to be a good option to spice things up.
What's wrong with the monaco circuit? It's not bad ifrc. Thanks for keeping the temps high. In the last indycar race the temp was 29, and the road was 52. Higher temps FTW!

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing