AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5@Mosport, Wednesday 11th August 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
So you are "defending against a lapping car??":cautious:
Hi Carsten,

You're right. It's not defending. The Mazda's have the right to stay on the raceline. I just want to make clear to the Audi driver that the corner is mine! (So back off, Audi! :laugh: ).

I don’t think there is a “cure all” way of looking at this.
Interesting that Han and I had this really difficult 50:50 on the really difficult corner at the bottom of the hill.
I was trying to get away from an Audi, Han was at that time in the middle of nowhere, but obviously did not want to compromise his chasing efforts by giving up time to a bleeding Audi.
Luckily I just managed to pass before the corner, but rightfully so, I doubt if Han was all smiles, it probably cost him a couple tenths of a second he did not want to give away as he had to slightly compromise his corner entry.
When we are at the corner I want the Mazda to go for the corner as fast as he can, then I really do not get held up, usually the Mazda has the same or better corner speed. Apart from power corners, obviously.
The Audi is a straight line overtaker.
I last night did a bit of gt3 setup with Audi’s as AI. Exactly the same problem.
Even with 500 bhp, thinking that you are easily going to haul the Audi in before the next corner; it always seemed to be a struggle for the last 100 meters to get the Gt3 car ahead before the corner.
So I still think the only solution is Audi’s beware on corner approach, the Mazda is going to go flat out, you have to fit in.
Occasionally both will have to apply some common sense as Han did with me, he just slightly modified his approach to allow for me.
Which, I hope, is exactly what I would have done.
I have no problems with the mazda’s when I have the right mind set going for me.
All of us are victims of circumstances that make us sometimes act in an irrational way.

So that is why I am a 100% for the Mazda having total control over the racing lines and corner. With some conmon sense in the mix.

that is where I stand until I read a better solution.

That was a bit wafflley :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

PS
We are lucky that we race with a bunch of skill full and thoughtful racer’s, so we are easily able to implement the above.

Last edited:
I don’t think there is a “cure all” way of looking at this.
Interesting that Han and I had this really difficult 50:50 on the really difficult corner at the bottom of the hill.
I was trying to get away from an Audi, Han was at that time in the middle of nowhere, but obviously did not want to compromise his chasing efforts by giving up time to a bleeding Audi.
Luckily I just managed to pass before the corner, but rightfully so, I doubt if Han was all smiles, it probably cost him a couple tenths of a second he did not want to give away as he had to slightly compromise his corner entry.
When we are at the corner I want the Mazda to go for the corner as fast as he can, then I really do not get held up, usually the Mazda has the same or better corner speed. Apart from power corners, obviously.
The Audi is a straight line overtaker.
I last night did a bit of gt3 setup with Audi’s as AI. Exactly the same problem.
Even with 500 bhp, thinking that you are easily going to haul the Audi in before the next corner; it always seemed to be a struggle for the last 100 meters to get the Gt3 car ahead before the corner.
So I still think the only solution is Audi’s beware on corner approach, the Mazda is going to go flat out, you have to fit in.
Occasionally both will have to apply some common sense as Han did with me, he just slightly modified his approach to allow for me.
Which, I hope, is exactly what I would have done.
I have no problems with the mazda’s when I have the right mind set going for me.
All of us are victims of circumstances that make us sometimes act in an irrational way.

So that is why I am a 100% for the Mazda having total control over the racing lines and corner. With some conmon sense in the mix.

that is where I stand until I read a better solution.
I totally agree with you there, Ernie. As for our struggle in the race, yes, I wasn't smiling at the time because it felt a bit like a dive bomb, but I was more annoyed with myself for not doing what I described in my previous post. At that time you were the first Audi to lap me and I was not ready for this situation. In retrospect, I shouldn't have given you the impression that you could overtake on the inside. But I'm only human, you know:D.

This is no excuse, I realise that, but it was a part of the road where the Audi had a lot more mph than the Mazda.
There was a point where the Audi was catching the Mazda very quickly, so much so, that at one point it looked like an easy overtake. But like I described with the gt3’s and the Audi’s there was suddenly a point where it quickly started to look dodgy. At that moment I was committed to an overtake, the rest is as explained.

This was a typical problem for me that was repeated many times in this race, but from that point on after overtaking Han I was not under pressure from anyone, so I was far more willing to wait it out behind the Mazda. So from that point on I just wanted the Mazdas to get through the corner as quickly as they can and ignore me.

This to me is a typical Audi and Mazda situation we’re I am sure that all the problems exist.

How you negate that is very difficult, I am sure that being close to a Mazda with a straight stretch of road is not a problem for any of us.:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back