AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5 @ Luccaring, Wednesday 26th May 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@Shed 17 @Kek700 Paul, Ernie,

It looks like we've got only 3 Audi's. I'll make sure there will be some spare MX5's, if you want to switch. But let me know here or in the chat if you do so we can all take a MAZDA.

@pattikins Patrick, I saw you practicing (great lap time btw) but you didn't sign up, did you?

I thought I was 1-2 seconds off the pace. Anyhow, I've been unwell recently & my stint on the practice server was more of a progress check. You can put me down for the Mazda, but I'm not sure that I will stay the course. Thanks.

Last edited:
Audi TT, a podium for everyone.
Cannot complain about that. 4B4FE3E1-EB0D-43B5-AB2A-058C3AF1C07C.jpeg

Thanks to Han for staging all of this madness, please go on ;)

and thanks for Taj for posting "his version" of the results.:D
Actually they differ quite a bit from the results AC showed me :cool:

have a good night, see you next week.

Carsten

Edith says: ARGH, :rolleyes:, whatch first, type later.
Of course, when you look at the race page instead practice, it looks familiar.
I am very sorry for having spoken without thinking, i´ll be going in my room now :cry:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for joining tonight!
I hope you had fun!

Next week a track that's one of the favorites of a lot of you. It will be hosted on the RaceDepartment community on Simracing.gp as we think that the problems are solved. But I will prepare a RD server just in case.
The event will be ready for signing up tomorrow.

@Kek700 How did the mediums go for the whole race?
@RFE3rd Great debut, Richard! Don't be discouraged by your lap times. You're in the fase where you can improve a lot and where practicing and racing is very rewarding. Save the replay and jump into the car of the winner and learn from him which racing line, where to break and which gear he's using everywhere on the track.
Hope to see you again next week!

It was a fun race guys, thanks again for organising it Han! :thumbsup:

First corner went quite well and then at the first roundabout I thought I did a slight punterino on @davejevons (apparently that wasn't the case). I saw him touch the sidewalk and take flight (you had rocket fuel or something?) :confused: I fell behind after waiting, resumed racing and managed to catch up with the pack after a few laps.

A few of the cars in front of me made some mistakes and I got some places back. I then had a really good rally with @stigs2cousin ... you were faster on the middle sector man, I managed to hold on the last and barely put some distance on the first. We did that for a few laps, it was fun!

Then the Audis caught up and I got a bit spooked by @Kek700 at the first roundabout (wasn't expecting you to catch up so quickly). Misjudged my braking point, had a slide, hit the sidewalk and ended up between the trees... literally. Lost a few places and came back on track in a "middle of nowhere" gap until the end of the race, although @Taj Johal was catching up quickly on the final laps.

I had a lot of fun, very curious about the track for next week's race. :laugh: Have a good evening chaps!

Last edited:
Crew chief with 5 minutes to go....” keep this up and you’ll be on the podium!”

With Ernie 60 seconds somewhere up the road what crew chief failed to mention was that I lost those 60 seconds with two incidents....... number one at the last roundabout on lap 2 where I had not spotted a concrete block sticking out that I hit causing me to spin and got jammed between the barriers on the narrowest part of the track. A 17 point turn later saw me get out of it and in danger of blocking the track for the Mazda guys.

I got going again and was making good progress and highly entertained by some of the Mazda back markers especially Dave who did the most amazing diversion through the trees, into a ditch only to appear again flying through the air upside down and landing on the roundabout in front of me.

Later on Richard spun in front of me and I tried to miss him but I too went through the trees and collected a brick wall, another 30 seconds gone. I tried to get back I on track again but I think it was who Patrick appeared at one of the fastest parts of the circuit and he spun as well. Sorry if it ruined your race Patrick.

But I really enjoyed the track and managed quite a quick lap towards the end (not sure if it was the quickest) but so easy to hit something.

So well done to Han and Elijah, sorry to Patrick and well done to Richard on your first race here. I joined this group a couple of months ago after getting fed up with the standard of driving on public servers and I can thoroughly recommend this club racing, keep going and you will soon improve.

I couldn’t keep up the early pace as I think it would have been a good race with Ernie but as the dear old crew chief said at the end...”Well done, that’s 3rd place” and as predicted a .......................podium!

First of all to the Audi drivers, a podium for all.:roflmao::roflmao:
Drove a great race Han, could do very little about your lead, those Rotters in the mx5’s were all against me too.:D:D
Not sure, as you said Han, that mediums were the way to go, forgot about the raised track temps.
Managed to hold on and snatch the odd tenth here and there, but after 7 or 8 laps I was struggling.
I could have done very little anyway, too big of a gap and fading mediums. I just waited for an off.
Which never came, plus hitting every wall did not help.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Sad to see you disappear from the server @pattikins patrick, hope you get better soon, we all miss you.
Dreading GT3 here, I am never going to complete this race in one piece.:(

That was interesting. In practice and qualy I felt good and had mid-pack pace. However it turned out to be very inconsistent!

In the first lap I was alongside @Backmarker EB but backed out of it approaching a chicane. I must have eased off too much and slowed into @Dzul who gave me the lightest of touches which seemed to have a disproportionate effect and sent me cartwheeling into the ditch of doom.

So I went back to the pits and tried again. My aim was to see if I could catch @RFE3rd. After a couple of laps it was going well. A nice groove and okay lap times. Then I spun again, in the same place and landed back in the ditch of doom for another pit-restart.

By this time the MX-5s were starting to appear in my mirrors. I pulled over for @stigs2cousin on the straight ahead of the chicane but unfortunately there was some confusion and he followed me losing some time getting past. Apologies Carsten!

I spent the rest of the race trying to contain my unruly MX-5 - really , it was like taking an excitable puppy for a walk! An odd race. The pace was good but my racing skills sucked. One to learn from!

Well done for finishing and driving consistently @RFE3rd - a few months ago that was me in my first ever race. The learning curve is really steep but rewarding.

Thanks a lot for the race guys. I have a lot to learn. Well done to the winners!! @HF2000 thanks, yes I will definitely be studying the racing lines and braking points of the fast guys. I will definitely be back next week Wednesday. It was great fun, even if I am slow at the moment :).

idk if the replays show the pedal inputs proper, but if you're looking at my laps in particular:

- Sector 1 : For the first roundabout I brake hard to 3rd for the right corner, and when I reach the curb I'm riding the brakes 50% into the left turn as I exit in 2nd gear. I don't think it's proper cornering technique but with how weird this corner is I guess it works. For "turn 5" on the map, I brake down to 4th for the right hander, trying to carry speed throughout that corner by lifting and downshifting to 3rd, hugging the inside/right to set up for the 2nd gear left-hand hairpin. However, the lap data says I'm 0.3 seconds slower than Patrick in sector 2, it might be because I'm not getting the exit of turn 5 right.

- Sector 2 (Turns 8, 9, 10, 11?): early and light braking (<25%) down to 4th gear while I turn in early for the fast corners; I'm trying to preserve speed with a wide line, early throttle and minimal braking. Also I pick one of the trees (3rd last) as my brake marker for turn 9. The roundabout (turn 11 on the map) has a shallower angle than it looks so you can brake light and drive 4th gear powering through it.

-Sector 3: turn 15 I brake at the 100m board but i'm pointing the car at the apex already while breaking in a straight line down to 2nd, and coast into the left-hand hairpin, as any throttle would push you to run wide of the hairpin since I don't brake for the hairpin. try to get on throttle early at the hairpin to maximize speed for start/finish. the final corner (turn 16) can be taken flat if you position the car along the outside/left wall before turn-in, but I give a quick and slight lift during the race.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm normally a front-runner, I'm usually around +2 seconds off pace in the RD GT3 races and the last MX5 race I ran with RD. I'm under the impression that this track just caught everyone off-guard with the weird brake zones for the roundabouts and how deceptively fast some of the corners are for the MX5.

Last edited:
idk if the replays show the pedal inputs proper, but if you're looking at my laps in particular:

- Sector 1 : For the first roundabout I brake hard to 3rd for the right corner, and when I reach the curb I'm riding the brakes 50% into the left turn as I exit in 2nd gear. I don't think it's proper cornering technique but with how weird this corner is I guess it works. For "turn 5" on the map, I brake down to 4th for the right hander, trying to carry speed throughout that corner by lifting and downshifting to 3rd, hugging the inside/right to set up for the 2nd gear left-hand hairpin. However, the lap data says I'm 0.3 seconds slower than Patrick in sector 2, it might be because I'm not getting the exit of turn 5 right.

- Sector 2 (Turns 8, 9, 10, 11?): early and light braking (<25%) down to 4th gear while I turn in early for the fast corners; I'm trying to preserve speed with a wide line, early throttle and minimal braking. Also I pick one of the trees (3rd last) as my brake marker for turn 9. The roundabout (turn 11 on the map) has a shallower angle than it looks so you can brake light and drive 4th gear powering through it.

-Sector 3: turn 15 I brake at the 100m board but i'm pointing the car at the apex already while breaking in a straight line down to 2nd, and coast into the left-hand hairpin, as any throttle would push you to run wide of the hairpin since I don't brake for the hairpin. try to get on throttle early at the hairpin to maximize speed for start/finish. the final corner (turn 16) can be taken flat if you position the car along the outside/left wall before turn-in, but I give a quick and slight lift during the race.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm normally a front-runner, I'm usually around +2 seconds off pace in the RD GT3 races and the last MX5 race I ran with RD. I'm under the impression that this track just caught everyone off-guard with the weird brake zones for the roundabouts and how deceptively fast some of the corners are for the MX5.
Hi Elijah.
Thanks a lot for the feedback and the advice. I definitely need to work on my braking technique. I spun out a few times whilst braking and turning in simultaneously.
I will give the track a run tonight again and see if I can improve my best lap from last night. Then I need to work on doing it consistently and not just have 3 good laps in a race. :)

I really enjoyed that. So close to finishing on the podium. It helped watching the Audis through qualy. I was always breaking too late for the roundabouts, watching you guys made me realise I'm being dumb and need to get a better exit out of them. Went from 1:28 best lap against the AI the day before to 1:24.4 best lap in the race, so massive progress.

I made a pretty big mistake and span in lap 1. I find it hard to be more patient with the cold tyres. From 11th I started driving more consistently and overtook Taj cleanly on the straight. Then, Raul and Carsten crashed ahead of me.

I switched places a few times with Carsten, because either me or you made mistakes. I think that part of the race pushed me to be better and more consistent because I knew you had more experience than me and faster lap times. I think you were a bit faster, but my second sector (basically all the fast turns) I was gaining 2-3 seconds on you each time, but then losing time in the 3 roundabouts.

I think I finally got a good setup on the Mazda, because lightly touching the break would make it turn at high speed but it wouldn't start to drift too soon like it did last week. I'm excited about next week!

My rambling thoughts:

Got back into Sim Racing last year after a 10 year break. Bought AC, liked the idea of driving so many different cars, especially old school race cars on many different tracks. But fell into the habit of driving my fav cars on my fav tracks. Then joined RD for the racing plus bought ACC, so was GT3s only for a long time.

Tried the MX5 Cup once, didn't like it all, no power, locking brakes, no feel for the handling. Tried it again last week for the Luccaring, still didn't like it. But as a petrol head I know it's a great drivers car :thumbsdown:

Learnt the track using the shopping trolley, what a great track to drive, so enjoyable to drive :)
Great choice by Han @HF2000 !!!

Drove last night in the race, qualied as usual at the back in 2:27. Drove conservatively at the beginning, ended up in P8 for the first 3 laps, thanks to the many freebies :D
Then I became ambitious, started braking later, driving harder, trying to carry more speed. Of course it went as expected, crashes, spins, heel and toeing like a drunken sailor. kept swapping positions with Richard E for a few laps.

So I listented to one of my heroes Sir Jackie S, keep it smooth, slow in, fast out !! Started braking earlier but also much lighter to prevent lock ups ( I had already reduced the brake pressure in the setup, think I need to reduce it more). Timing the downshifts and heel and toeing better. Concentrated on the lines, lifting off or light tap of the brakes to tuck the nose in for the fast right handers.

And the MX 5 came alive !! Much more grip, finally feel in the steering, light drifts out of the corners. And the times came down, PB now 2:24.6 with much more left on the table. Now I like the MX 5 :D

Started to slowly gain on Raul but it was far too late. Finished in P8 with a grin, really enjoyed the racing/driving experience.

In conclusion, as much as I enjoy the GT3 races on Sunday, i really like the Tuesday and Wednesdy races with variety of cars and tracks, it's why I originally got back into sim racing.

Please keep up the good work @HF2000, @640er and @Interslice :thumbsup:

So I listented to one of my heroes Sir Jackie S, keep it smooth, slow in, fast out !! Started braking earlier but also much lighter to prevent lock ups ( I had already reduced the brake pressure in the setup, think I need to reduce it more). Timing the downshifts and heel and toeing better. Concentrated on the lines, lifting off or light tap of the brakes to tuck the nose in for the fast right handers.

Completely agree with @Taj Johal.

Sir Jackie tells it the best... that epic "Yoda" moment where he explains Captain Slow how to be faster on a TVR seems to have vanished from YouTube... but I found this one, much better though... 'coz there are 8 parts to every corner:

Last edited:
My rambling thoughts:

Got back into Sim Racing last year after a 10 year break. Bought AC, liked the idea of driving so many different cars, especially old school race cars on many different tracks. But fell into the habit of driving my fav cars on my fav tracks. Then joined RD for the racing plus bought ACC, so was GT3s only for a long time.

Tried the MX5 Cup once, didn't like it all, no power, locking brakes, no feel for the handling. Tried it again last week for the Luccaring, still didn't like it. But as a petrol head I know it's a great drivers car :thumbsdown:

Learnt the track using the shopping trolley, what a great track to drive, so enjoyable to drive :)
Great choice by Han @HF2000 !!!

Drove last night in the race, qualied as usual at the back in 2:27. Drove conservatively at the beginning, ended up in P8 for the first 3 laps, thanks to the many freebies :D
Then I became ambitious, started braking later, driving harder, trying to carry more speed. Of course it went as expected, crashes, spins, heel and toeing like a drunken sailor. kept swapping positions with Richard E for a few laps.

And the MX 5 came alive !! Much more grip, finally feel in the steering, light drifts out of the corners. And the times came down, PB now 2:24.6 with much more left on the table. Now I like the MX 5 :D

Started to slowly gain on Raul but it was far too late. Finished in P8 with a grin, really enjoyed the racing/driving experience.

In conclusion, as much as I enjoy the GT3 races on Sunday, i really like the Tuesday and Wednesdy races with variety of cars and tracks, it's why I originally got back into sim racing.

Please keep up the good work @HF2000, @640er and @Interslice :thumbsup:
Thanks Taj :thumbsup: ! Your reaction reflects exactly what I'm aiming for with my Wednesday events. Very happy that it turns out this way, at least for you:).

Sir Jackie tells it the best... that epic "Yoda" moment where he explains Captain Slow how to be faster on a TVR seems to have vanished from YouTube...

Is that the one where he has a ball in a bowl on the bonnet of the car? You had to drive and corner fast without the ball flying out of the bowl, taught you to be smooth with your inputs and weight transfer.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 372 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 515 39.0%