AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5 @ Barbagello, Wednesday 21st July 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
That was a nice clean event. Thanks everybody.

I planned a nice leasurely walk in the park, but than Colin handed my T1 on a silver platter
( noone has seen the Mazda in the way ;)) and the race was on.

And the last four laps he made me work for it :thumbsup:.

( Colin, try to keep it little tidier on entry, the reward will be a better exit.
Tidy in, fast out :cool:)

Have a good night, Carsten

Thanks Han as always. I enjoyed a run out in the Audi. I got a bad start and dropped a position through T1, Colin fought hard to keep 3rd but I eventually got it back. Now 9 seconds behind you and Paul. I couldn't match your pace anyway (great qualifying lap Paul!) and the gap slowly grew over the rest of the race. Took a bit of getting used to navigating the Mazdas, I misjudged trying to get past two on the back straight and had to run through T7 in between them, it felt like I cut you close there Ernie so sorry if that was the case. I hope I didn't cause any drama for the Mazdas, its different to see it from the other side as I am sure there were moments when in the Mazda myself I would have thought "bloody hell". :D I know in previous races I could brake later than the Audi into some turns so when they overtake late it can slow you down quite a bit. My second podium but I won't get too excited as there were only 5 Audis!

Thanks Han as always. I enjoyed a run out in the Audi. I got a bad start and dropped a position through T1, Colin fought hard to keep 3rd but I eventually got it back. Now 9 seconds behind you and Paul. I couldn't match your pace anyway (great qualifying lap Paul!) and the gap slowly grew over the rest of the race. Took a bit of getting used to navigating the Mazdas, I misjudged trying to get past two on the back straight and had to run through T7 in between them, it felt like I cut you close there Ernie so sorry if that was the case. I hope I didn't cause any drama for the Mazdas, its different to see it from the other side as I am sure there were moments when in the Mazda myself I would have thought "bloody hell". :D I know in previous races I could brake later than the Audi into some turns so when they overtake late it can slow you down quite a bit. My second podium but I won't get too excited as there were only 5 Audis!
You did great, Tim! The Audi suits you!

That was a nice clean event. Thanks everybody.

I planned a nice leasurely walk in the park, but than Colin handed my T1 on a silver platter
( noone has seen the Mazda in the way ;)) and the race was on.

And the last four laps he made me work for it :thumbsup:.

( Colin, try to keep it little tidier on entry, the reward will be a better exit.
Tidy in, fast out :cool:)

Have a good night, Carsten
I didn't practice much for this race so my time suffered. Still had fun holding off a Tim and Carsten. The Mazda's certainly spiced it up. I lost a place and nearly gained a place due to traffic. Hope I didn't cause any distress when passing.

Good racing with you all again, very fair.

Qualifying was OK, very close to my best time, p5, only 7 thousandths behind Richard.

Good start got me ahead of Richard and Andre. Andre got past me pretty quickly and a couple of scrappy corners gave him a gap that he started to extend.

Looking behind me Richard was close until he got a tank slapper coming out of turn 1 and I had a gap. By the time Richard had got his place back I had a 10 second gap but I was 8 seconds behind Andre who started to battle for p2 with Ernie.

I managed to catch up 3 seconds while they had a battle. I was pushing in case they tripped each other up and let me into the fight but they were too clean!

A pretty lonely race for me apart from the start and the Audi overtakes, which were all very clean.

P4 again so I need to push on for a podium.

Thanks everyone for racing. I hope you had as much fun as I did. As far as I could see, everyone rode with respect for others :thumbsup: ! You are a great audience for these events! I'm really looking forward to doing the championship with you.

I had a better start than Paul and was able to take the lead in T1. I think the pole position is worse than second here with T1 on the right and only a tire length lead. So lucky me :D . Also lucked out with the Mazdas during the race. I was able to overtake most of them on the straights without wasting time. Otherwise it would have been very close with Paul having the better pace, at least in the first half. So the win felt a bit stolen. On the other hand, I did have the fastest lap of the race.

As for the launch failure, there were problems with the server during the day, so I'm glad it's not something from s.gp itself. Recently they introduced the restart button for events, but we were not communicated that. I found out by accident.

Next week a very nice circuit that has some characteristics of the Hungaroring where F1 is going. I'll put it on tomorrow night.

So see you next week on the track!

Well done Allan, @Allan Ramsbottom little I could do, you just slowly disappeared up the road. But my advantage was all those couple of years racing in the Mazda with all those past fast people, I was so practised at seeing you disappear into the distance. I just drove with a rye smile on my face, been here before.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
That smile did not last long, those pesky Audi's soon appeared and my comfortable gap to Andre soon disappeared. Bugger, I could not shake him, eventually, @a_murel Andre overtaking me.
An easy race had long gone out of the window, I knew once he had a gap I was fried toast.
So I put everything into getting back past, which I very luckily managed to do after 3 hectic laps of trying. Then ensued many many laps of Andre trying to return the compliment to me.
Then those very nice Audi boys :unsure:gave me a small gap to Andre, so we entered into stalemate, he closed the gap on parts of the circuit, I opened it up on other parts of the circuit until those very very nice Audi boys gave me a bit more of a gap.
So I just then chased Allan for pointless sport.
One of the best races I have had for ages, in the end, got to trust completely Andre I think he trusted me too, so that made it a great battle to remember.
well done all podiums and a truly great event Han @HF2000

PS
the Mazda race as a whole was very closely fought with not much time gap between all of us.

Last edited:
Great debut in the Audi Tim.
I think I was a bit heavy on fuel and Han got the jump into T1. It looked like being a close race as we gapped Colin and Tim quite quickly and I settled into shadowing Han in readiness for the first Mazda lapping adventure. I lost count the number of times Han managed to just overtake a Mazda into T1 and I tried to be good and follow through sector 1.

But to be fair I think Han had the better of me as I had to use up the P2P to try and close the gap and I would not have been able to challenge even if I had caught him.

Raul, it was me in your mirror on the last lap, I was waiting for the straight before I went by off the racing on the right but you did surprise me by clipping the kerb and going off, sorry if I spooked you but I was trying to behave as Han was well out of range by then. :)
But a very enjoyable race, I am well happy with P2 and another race without any major dramas or mistakes. Well done to Allan and Han and thanks for running another great event.:thumbsup:

Raul, it was me in your mirror on the last lap, I was waiting for the straight before I went by off the racing on the right but you did surprise me by clipping the kerb and going off, sorry if I spooked you but I was trying to behave as Han was well out of range by then. :)
But a very enjoyable race, I am well happy with P2 and another race without any major dramas or mistakes. Well done to Allan and Han and thanks for running another great event.:thumbsup:

Ah, no worries Paul... it was my own mistake. I was completely focused on finding a way past Dave (already for a lap or six) minding my entries and exits and not really looking in my mirror. I did hear my CrewChief say 'blue flag' about the start/finish and I saw you as a dot in the distance so I didn't expect you to catch up before the second to last corner... but then, again, fighting Dave wasn't the fastest way around the first sector. ;)

I was looking ahead through the esses, following Dave. I had to go off the line before the exit of the corner uphill to avoid punting him so I ended on a different line but still aiming for the apex when saw a mirror full of Audi... which meant I wasn't looking at the apex anymore, at speed. So I tried to correct my trajectory but overcooked it which put my right wheels at the inside of that kerb, on the grass. That got my car off-balance, I couldn't catch it and ended up spinning out... :redface:

A shame coz Dave and I were having a good battle and I think I may have been able to catch and pass... but TBH it is really difficult to pull off an overtake without going a bit kamikaze in this track. I tried that at the beginning of the race, on the last corner, but all I got was a visit to the wall at the far end and a 20 second gap to the pack. TBH I'm glad I managed to catch up 20 minutes later so it wasn't the lonely race I expected after that first venture on the grass... which felt more like driving on soap. :D

I had a few memorable moments with the Audis. I even took advantage of a few fights to catch up Dave by sacrificing a corner, letting both Audis by and let Dave deal with that while I closed in. Sorry Dave! We had a reversed version of Hakkinen's pass on Schumacher at Spa in 2000 where they had Zonta in the middle... we were the slow version of Mika and Schumi and Han was the rocket version of Zonta... that was fun! :laugh:

Completely second all the praise of clean racing and camaraderie... a pleasure to race with all of you chaps and thanks again for making it happen Han, you are also fast with servers.

I'll be missing next week's race due to a well-earned vacation but will def keep an eye on the forums to read all about it... and meet you on track again in a fortnight.

Slight change of subject but I'm looking to upgrade my wheel and I'm looking for recommendation and real life experiences with the kit you have.

I recently got some fanatec csl elite pedals with the load cell brake and they are great.

My wheel is a very old (14year!) "logitech driving force pro" gear driven thing and am wondering what to upgrade to to enhance my enjoyment and hopefully speed and consistency.

With my wheel at the moment I'm not sensing much change with any setup changes I make to the car. Would this be wheel related or am I just not very good and the moment?

Last edited:
I don’t have a new steering wheel system on my mind at present so I am not aware of availability and pricing.
If I were to go and buy a wheel then I would almost certainly go for a second hand fanatec club sport or CLS elite setup, bang for the buck it is unbeatable.
Plus when funds allow, their selection of wheels are very good to, and you do not have to break the bank in buying them, unlike the DD steering selections.
There is also the new DD Basic wheel from Fanatec, which is very competitively priced, assuming £350 is not to prohibitive , plus if you look on our Racedepartment for a second hand wheel to compliment it, you have something that will last you for years of sim racing. This is what I would definitely go for and not bother at all with the upgrade kit.

I don’t have a new steering wheel system on my mind at present so I am not aware of availability and pricing.
If I were to go and buy a wheel then I would almost certainly go for a second hand fanatec club sport or CLS elite setup, bang for the buck it is unbeatable.
Plus when funds allow, their selection of wheels are very good to, and you do not have to break the bank in buying them, unlike the DD steering selections.
There is also the new DD Basic wheel from Fanatec, which is very competitively priced, assuming £350 is not to prohibitive , plus if you look on our Racedepartment for a second hand wheel to compliment it, you have something that will last you for years of sim racing. This is what I would definitely go for and not bother at all with the upgrade kit.
What wheel do you have Ernie?

Space dictates that I'm still forced to attach the wheel to a desk. So a DD setup is not really practical. I'll keep my eyes out for a CSL elite base but fanatec appear to have discontinued it and not many are coming up on the second hand market. I guess more will start appearing as folks upgrade to the new basic DD base

Once you are at CLS level, that is about the best bang for the buck, anything else has very small advantages, but much larger cash outlay, remembering you still need a steering wheel , gets very pointlessly exspensive.
If you can afford it then it makes some sense. But as you quite rightly point out, you buy a DD wheel, then you need a proper rig to put it in, next thing you know you are thinking about a sim-lab aluminium extrusion, then proper racing seat, then triple monitors, then you have to flog the wife to pay for it all. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
perhaps if you can go second hand club sport 2.5 then you may get a slight upgrade for a much much smaller cash outlay.
For sim racing online a CLS does the job 99% as well as the most expensive DD wheel.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 155 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 218 14.1%