AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5 @ Barbagello, Wednesday 21st July 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@Goblin616
Frank this is a perfect circuit to learn, Han and the boys are easy to observe and give you clues as to why they are so quick. being such a short circuit it is not long before the next lesson starts again.
I did this with Chris when the rotter kept lapping me, I could see his lines and see where I was okay and where I was slower.
You need to pick the Mazda, a first-class lesson into why.
No fancy setups, no huge grip levels, no big horsepower, no aero, just you.:)

Fun track. Struggling to get the best line through T6 and T7 that exit curb is quite a beast. This should be fun with the multiclass mix, there were no Audis on practice tonight, I am guessing 5 or 6 seconds faster?

@Goblin616
Frank this is a perfect circuit to learn, Han and the boys are easy to observe and give you clues as to why they are so quick. being such a short circuit it is not long before the next lesson starts again.
I did this with Chris when the rotter kept lapping me, I could see his lines and see where I was okay and where I was slower.
You need to pick the Mazda, a first-class lesson into why.
No fancy setups, no huge grip levels, no big horsepower, no aero, just you.:)
I can't drive the mazda with paddle shifters. It just doesn't feel the same, and I actually struggle to drive it. Maybe that doesn't make sense. Does anybody know why the circuit is broken? It never used to be. When I first used it last year it was fine. Maybe it's incompatible with some filters?

It is okay for me frank, I always drive the Mazda with paddle shifts, it is not as quick as a manual gearbox, but having said that you also need to be very adept at it to make that advantage work.
I have a very dumbed down CPS, works okay for me. :)

Last edited:
1:14.69 tells me you are braking to much and not letting the car run, there is very little steering and hardly any braking with this car, you just want to concentrate on not interfering with the cars natural pace. These cars are nearly as quick as the Audi TT cup car mid corner.:)

1:14.69 tells me you are braking to much and not letting the car run, there is very little steering and hardly any braking with this car, you just want to concentrate on not interfering with the cars natural pace. These cars are nearly as quick as the Audi TT cup car mid corner.:)
That's slow huh? Like I said though, i have a hard time with the paddle shifters on the mx5, ever since my h-shifter stopped working. I don't enjoy it. I did practice on the TT. It doesn't drive the same though. Anyway I may try to get my shifter fixed at some point.

I managed to get down to 1:07.650. I can shave off a bit more with a little more practice, and some setup changes. I was running in 2nd @ Road America (or was it Road Atlanta?) for a while. I think I struggle in the GT3 cars more.

Last edited:
1-07 is very respectable, the problem is that most do not understand how good they are, always seeing the faster drivers times and denergrating their own.
If you can do 40 minutes race, survive and turn in 1-07 laps you are a very competent driver.
I am guilty of that too, but I hope that it is more of a Tongue in cheek joke, rather than a serious statement.
The racing here is of a very good standard, we are not going to be all snapped up by Ferrari or Porsche and of course we have some very quick drivers here on this forum.
One fast driver does not make everyone else slow. :)

@Goblin616,practising on your own or with a couple others i find is totally different to actual race nights lol..Im hitting 1.05.5,s,but come race night we will be prob hitting 1.07,s maybe slightly less.especially with a few on track and those pesky Audi,s breathing down our necks. but......for me its about fun,of course we like to get a win or a podium, but a few times, battling mid pack makes an epic race,more importantly sharpens up racing skills and boy do you sweat,see you on track Frank,dont miss it,there are some great guys here all willing to help out and best of all keep it clean...

@goblin616 I agree with the comments, you are not slow and will have a lot of fun in this type of race. You will also learn a lot racing with these guys, I certainly have and still am.

I think tonight's race is going to be about getting it safety round rather than ultimate pace. You can lose a lot of time going off, sliding or spinning.

Last edited:
@goblin616 I agree with the comments, you are not slow and will have a lot of fun in this type of race. You will also learn a lot racing with these guys, I certainly have and still am.

I think tonight's race is going to be about getting it safety round rather than ultimate pace. You can lose a lot of time going off, sliding or spinning.
12 laps or thereabouts, then the Audi's get in the mirrors. :confused: @HF2000 I do prefer the Mazda but do you want me to switch to the TT tonight? There are only 4 (like Silverstone which was the opposite). Not tried the Audi yet and only practised in the Mazda but happy to swap and balance out a bit.

@Goblin616,practising on your own or with a couple others i find is totally different to actual race nights lol..Im hitting 1.05.5,s,but come race night we will be prob hitting 1.07,s maybe slightly less.especially with a few on track and those pesky Audi,s breathing down our necks. but......for me its about fun,of course we like to get a win or a podium, but a few times, battling mid pack makes an epic race,more importantly sharpens up racing skills and boy do you sweat,see you on track Frank,dont miss it,there are some great guys here all willing to help out and best of all keep it clean...
Couldn’t agree more with Allan and Doug; We all like to think that we are quick but there is always going to be someone quicker, even at the very top. So why not enjoy it as if it’s not fun why do it? I joined this group earlier this year in the Mazda but have also joined in other classes since then. For me the best fun I’ve had is having a battle in the midfield or even at the back trying to chase someone down or defend, you don’t have to be on the pace but you do learn a lot from being in the same race, watching lines, picking up snippets of information on set ups etc.
For example, earlier this year we had a Volvo BTCC only event at Bathurst, not many entries but some quick boys in there. There were two twenty minute races with a reverse grid in the second race. I was always going to be at the back but just by staying on the black bit I managed a respectable fifth place in race one that had me on pole for race two. :confused: :confused:Looking in the mirror and seeing these quicker drivers at the start got the heart beating and yes, they did get past eventually ( Brian went past by T2) but I was surprised how long I could hang on to them and learn a thing or two about lines and corner entry/exit speeds. I also learnt a lot about corner exit speed from watching this.

The old slow in fast out technique!

In the real world there are thousands of racing drivers competing every weekend, by far the majority are amateurs just enjoying their cars and having a blast, there are a few professionals who get paid to be quick and then there are the elite who are on another level where even some of the very best, most experienced and successful drivers can’t get near.

So Frank, I would encourage you to come and join in the Wednesday evening club race, take your time and you will find someone to have a race with while at the same time learning more about the car and yourself. Relax, have that beer ready in the fridge and have fun! :)

12 laps or thereabouts, then the Audi's get in the mirrors. :confused: @HF2000 I do prefer the Mazda but do you want me to switch to the TT tonight? There are only 4 (like Silverstone which was the opposite). Not tried the Audi yet and only practised in the Mazda but happy to swap and balance out a bit.
I might not be able to make it tonight so probably worth switching to bulk up the TT numbers

Hi Tim,

Nice of you to ask :thumbsup: .

Only switch if you want to. More balance would be nice but there will be plenty of action for the Audi drivers on this short circuit where overtaking in sector 1 is almost impossible legally. The Mazdas will probably be lapped three times, so that will be hard work for the Audis. Not the best event to try out the Audi for the first time, I think.

Hi Tim,

Nice of you to ask :thumbsup: .

Only switch if you want to. More balance would be nice but there will be plenty of action for the Audi drivers on this short circuit where overtaking in sector 1 is almost impossible legally. The Mazdas will probably be lapped three times, so that will be hard work for the Audis. Not the best event to try out the Audi for the first time, I think.
Hi Han, I will swap and mix it up a bit, I haven't had the experience of the faster multiclass yet anyway. I couldn't get much pace with the MX5 last night but I at least learnt the track a bit.

Hi Han, I will swap and mix it up a bit, I haven't had the experience of the faster multiclass yet anyway. I couldn't get much pace with the MX5 last night but I at least learnt the track a bit.
Great Tim!

Remember to define a key for the Push-to-Pass function (KERS in the controls definition) and to take extra fuel for the usage of it (I've learned that the hard way:notworthy::(). You have 15 shots for the race.

See you on track!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years