AC Multiclass Abarth500/MazdaMX5@Motopark, Wed 25th January 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@RasmusP hi Rasmus, how do I get the shadows of the cars to work better in the distance?
Shadows under the car disappear, this makes them look like they are floating on the road.
:(

Shadows under the car disappear, this makes them look like they are floating on the road.
CF62A20D-CEAC-4AAF-8B58-9E6507527E88.jpeg

Like this? Including flat tyres and flux capacitor? :D

@RasmusP hi Rasmus, how do I get the shadows of the cars to work better in the distance?
:(
Was that better without my csp package? I'm a bit baffled...
There are distances for shadow splits but I've never had issues tbh...
What's your shadow setting in the normal AC graphics options?
If possible, try one step higher to get a bigger "shadow map", which allows for more shadow in general.

If possible, try one step higher to get a bigger "shadow map", which allows for more shadow in general.
We had the same on the San Luis track last week, all hovercraft MX5’s :D

I do not know if it is one of the shaders, or distance of shadows, the tyres are very black. Normally, with AC Ui standard, the tyres were of similar darkness to the road, and I would say much much better, I had my shadows on max. But even with them low, there was not a problem, the cars were definitely attached to the road. In fact that was my first observation with ACC when if first came out, it has recently improved noticeably.
Even though in ACC there was an “attached to road” setting, which originally made little difference.
:)

PS I am assuming any setting in my AC ui is not functioning at all now.

Last edited:
I'll have a test myself and try to find a solution!
CSP comes with some texture and color changes and also with additional ambient occlusion.
That's why the tyres might be darker or on other tracks the tarmac or grass might look different.

In this special case, the lack of some shadows is just more visible, since it's not simply all gray :p

Just as general info:
AC has no real time ambient occlusion. Everything is "baked in".
If you'd add a light source in the foot space, it would stay dark.
With csp, more spots are "always dark", which normally looks much better!

PS I am assuming any setting in my AC ui is not functioning at all now.
That's incorrect though. All settings are still working independently of CSP!
Which settings did you change that didn't show a difference?

In short: I doubt that the lack of car shadows has anything to do with csp, but I'll find out in the next 3 hours :)

@RasmusP
Ah , left all my AC Ui settings are as they were, including shadows, all maximum.
Because my frame rate did not align with the AC Ui settings of 140fps and was at 150fps just assumed the AC Ui had been by passed, mostly!
:)
Ah.. yeah the fps limiter might actually get "replaced" by the one from CM but since you don't use CM, there might be no limiter at the moment.

About the actual floating car issue:
Sorry, took a bit longer due to a spontaneous drive to the gym :whistling:

How far away do the cars need to be to have no shadows? There's a setting in CM called "Disable car shadows in third cascade" and I have that checked ON for cockpit views.

I just had a go in quick race mode and it looks like this at different distances.
I only took the important part from the fullscreen screenshots, so poor quality etc:

Start:
1674658028744.png

A bit further away:
1674658053079.png

Disappearing shadows "in 3rd cascade":
1674658083867.png

And this is without that one setting:
1674658147280.png

The other possibility would be that shadows in the AC settings are disabled. But afaik you only get that option with CM (CM integrated the "NoShadowsPatch" someone has created multiple years ago).
That would look like this:
1674658325441.png

But the "fake shadow" below the cars would still be there no matter the distance.
Only if you uncheck "Disable shadows in 3rd cascade", the fake shadow would vanish at a certain distance.

To enable the shadows in 3rd cascade, please put the attached "smart_shadows.ini" into:
\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\extension

Or you can add these lines into your own file:
[NO_CAR_SHADOWS_IN_THIRD_CASCADE]
INTERIOR_VIEW=0

1674658542256.png

Edit: maybe I should actually attach the file...

Attachments

• smart_shadows.ini
    79 bytes · Views: 34
Last edited:
Much much better Rasmus, it needs the shadow under the car to make it look attached, which it now does, when they get a long way off it all merges into one and is not noticeable.
I would say it is pretty much back to normal.
:):):):):)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back