F1 2010 Multi monitor problem

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I have 2 monitors - one connected to my graphics card designated as the main monitor and the other to the motherboard graphics output. F1 2010 will not start unless I disconnect the monitor connected to the motherboard and reboot first. Is thare a way round this? I assume the game is detecting a monitor connected to something that does not have the graphics capabity to run the game but since it will normally only display on one screen the main screen why is that a problem?

It works if I connect the 2nd monitor to the graphics card as well but then I can't use something else.

Bit of a weird problem, but I suggest making the monitor connected to your graphics card the 'primary' display in windows.

It sounds to me like windows must think your mobo monitor is primary, and that is why it will only work when you physically disconnect it and windows then uses your secondary option.

Bit of a weird problem, but I suggest making the monitor connected to your graphics card the 'primary' display in windows.

It sounds to me like windows must think your mobo monitor is primary, and that is why it will only work when you physically disconnect it and windows then uses your secondary option.

Like I said in my first post the Graphics card monitor is set as the primary one. The problem arises (I assume) during boot since Windows finds the motherboard monitor during its DOS post phase and only displays on the Graphics card monitor when Windows starts loading. I need a monitor during the DOS phase however to start a utility I use (ASUS Express Gate).

I know what you said, but the fact it is posting on your MOBO output, and also not running F1 unless you reboot with the MOBO output disconnected tells me its not treating your PCI-e as primary.

Cant say I have heard of people running mobo and PCI-e graphics in tandem, I was of the understanding that once a card is plugged into PCI-e, it disables the MOBO output - but what you describe seems to contradict this.

There is a lot of missing info, ie, your O/S, your mobo, your graphics card type.
Even what connections you are using from which output eg vga/dvi/hdmi/display port can make a big difference.

Does your graphics card not support 2 monitors? Even my ageing 4870s can each support 2 monitors via VGA or DVI - problem solved if you simply want 2 independent monitors for simultaneous gaming and desktop use. I expect that nvidia flavour cards can do the same.

I know what you said, but the fact it is posting on your MOBO output, and also not running F1 unless you reboot with the MOBO output disconnected tells me its not treating your PCI-e as primary.

It depends on what 'primary monitor' means. In control panel I can choose either as my 'main monitor' and I chose the graphics card one and that is where my icons show up and where programs start. I also know that if I write computer code to place a window on my desktop any Window.Left pixel value up to 1920 shows on the graphics card monitor and any value above 1920 shows on the MOBO monitor so Windows has them correctly placed. However if I use the 'identify monitor' button windows says the graphics monitor is monitor 2 and I do not know if it is possible to change that. I think it is fixed during boot and can't be edited.

[quote="Cant say I have heard of people running mobo and PCI-e graphics in tandem, I was of the understanding that once a card is plugged into PCI-e, it disables the MOBO output - but what you describe seems to contradict this.

There is a lot of missing info, ie, your O/S, your mobo, your graphics card type.
Even what connections you are using from which output eg vga/dvi/hdmi/display port can make a big difference.

Does your graphics card not support 2 monitors? Even my ageing 4870s can each support 2 monitors via VGA or DVI - problem solved if you simply want 2 independent monitors for simultaneous gaming and desktop use. I expect that nvidia flavour cards can do the same.[/quote]

I can put both monitors on the graphics card and it works but then I can't use the ASUS Express Gate feature that has a 5 second window to be started BEFORE windows starts loading. Any monitor on the graphics card does not display at this point hence I have one monitor on the MOBO. Express Gate lets me boot a cut down OS to browse the internet, check emails, etc in less than 10 seconds so it can be useful.

I do not think this is an issue of my system, it is a case of how to get F1 2010 to ignore the monitor on the MOBO if that is possible, or maybe how to hack Windows so it says the graphics card monitor is monitor 1, or get F1 2010 to use the 'main monitor' as defined by Windows rather than what Windows says is monitor 1.

Window 7 x64, ASUS M4A78LT-M, NVidia GeForce GT240, DVI to the graphics card and VGA to the MOBO.

If you enter the bios, and go to the 'Tools' menu, you can set the Express Gate timer to wait longer, 10, 15, 20 or 30 seconds before auto starting Windows, or alternatively you can set it just to wait and prompt you.

Thats more than enough time for your graphics card / monitor to warm up.

Doesn't work for me - I get no display until Windows is loading but I have solved it !!!!

Hidden in the BIOS advanced settings under chipset are 4 graphics options - choosing GFXO disables the MOBO graphics and displays the Post and Express Gate messages on the screen prior to Windows booting on a monitor connected the the graphics card. I can no longer use 3 monitors but that is not a problem. Thanks for your efforts.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 75 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.8%