MSI 2gb Nvidia GTX 680 (Triple Screen Setup) Advice Please

Hi Guys,

I have just bought myself an Omega GT racing cockpit with a triple screen monitor stand.

I have a MSI Nvida GTX 680 2gb card , i7 Processor, 16gb of ram and was wondering if this would be enough for triple screen racing with a good frame rate

I tried f1 2013 last night and it appeared to run like a dream but Asseto Corsa and Project Cars seemed to have significant frame rate issues.

Should I invest in a second video card...and if yes does it have to be exactly the same make as memory amount as the card that is currently installed.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have just bought myself an Omega GT racing cockpit with a triple screen monitor stand.

I have a MSI Nvida GTX 680 2gb card , i7 Processor, 16gb of ram and was wondering if this would be enough for triple screen racing with a good frame rate

I tried f1 2013 last night and it appeared to run like a dream but Asseto Corsa and Project Cars seemed to have significant frame rate issues.

Should I invest in a second video card...and if yes does it have to be exactly the same make as memory amount as the card that is currently installed.

Thanks
For iracing and the Codemasters games you should be fine but running triple screens take a significant amount of horsepower with decent eye candy. Your rig seems fine but assuming your running triple 1920x1080 your going to needed a new gpu. I say a new one since for the cost of paring that same card and having only 2gb of ram you can just get 780ti and be pretty good.

Upvote 0
I disagree with @Saleem Hodge - the GTX 680 is capable of playing many games on highest/nearly highest settings at 5760x1080 with playable frame rates, and others you would be able to decrease just a few settings to get slightly higher frame rates. You'd certainly be able to play no problem. See these articles:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...nd-radeon-7970-go-head-to-head-at-5760x1080/3

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/37253-three-screen-geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

Of course, in the long term you'll want to upgrade your GPU to a GTX 780 Ti or Titan (or GTX 790 when it comes out, or one of the AMD equivalents like the R9 290X) but it's not a requirement right now.

Upvote 0
I disagree with @Saleem Hodge - the GTX 680 is capable of playing many games on highest/nearly highest settings at 5760x1080 with playable frame rates, and others you would be able to decrease just a few settings to get slightly higher frame rates. You'd certainly be able to play no problem. See these articles:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...nd-radeon-7970-go-head-to-head-at-5760x1080/3

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/37253-three-screen-geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

Of course, in the long term you'll want to upgrade your GPU to a GTX 780 Ti or Titan (or GTX 790 when it comes out, or one of the AMD equivalents like the R9 290X) but it's not a requirement right now.
I thought that's what I was saying. I was referring to the new gpu for project cars and assetto corsa. I know that those games are unplayable at that resolution with that card. The memory requirement alone would be maxed out.

Update: I just checked the links you posted and think they support my position. That card struggles to get 60fps at best in most games with any eye candy. You have to really lower the settings and run no aa to get it playable.

Upvote 0
I've just upgraded my system from 2 x MSI GTX 680 2GB in SLI ... you will definitely need a second card I would say. VRAM is also a limiting factor at 5760 x 1080. I'm selling my 680s so if you're in the UK send me a PM.

Upvote 0
@Saleem Hodge when I read your post it seemed to me that when you said:
Your rig seems fine but assuming your running triple 1920x1080 your going to needed a new gpu.
it seemed to me that you were basically saying that it was a requirement - I was pointing out that whilst the framerates in the linked benchmarks were a bit low, they were on extreme/ultra/maximum settings, but in most of those games turning down AA a bit and going to high/medium should net good frame rates. I think we're sort of both right though - I read your post again and I think you were sort of talking about playing on very high/max settings, where I was talking about playing on "decent" settings (of course this is opinionated). Of course, you could probably play triples on a GTX 660, just on very low settings so it depends how much you want :p

Of course, @James Robertson going with a second 680 in SLI will definitely be much better anyway :)

Upvote 0
A 2nd 680GTX 2gb to run SLI.
You need a card with vram as much as you can. 2x2gb does not make it 4gb. Can speak for myself as i had 2x1,5gb to run triple screen setup, which was not playable.
Now with a Sapphire r9 290 4GB i am able to run AC, F1 with a nice fps.
Even in CF i barely getting some more fps:(

Surely it should've given some improvement? I know SLI isn't as good as getting a card that's "twice as good" but it should still get you at least a 50% improvement AFAIK. Not speaking from personal experience, but from what I've read though that's the case.

Upvote 0
Surely it should've given some improvement? I know SLI isn't as good as getting a card that's "twice as good" but it should still get you at least a 50% improvement AFAIK. Not speaking from personal experience, but from what I've read though that's the case.
It will give him a boost but it may be limited due to ram for sure. He would have to find the best balance of settings for his system. With my settings I'm always over 2.2gb with moderate AI.

Upvote 0
Nice upgrade! Yes motherboards can play a huge part in your overall gaming experience. I've overclocked for years, it's not as scary as it may seem. That being said you can screw some stuff up lol.

Upvote 0
What do you mean? Not sure if your aware but that board runs at pcie x16 with one card and x8 with two. but when you have all pcie 3.0 compatible stuff i.e. processor and board you get x16 speed from the x8 lane. That means x8 is as fast as x16 in pcie 2.0

I was trying to do this:

Should i just forget about it

Thanks for the advice, i dont have much technical knowledge

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%