Moving or Re-installing EVO

Warren Dawes

Premium
Very basic question but I can't find the links anymore.

I had a PC crash resulting in getting a new PC. I have the old HDD with Steam and EVO still in-tact. How do I reinstall it without having to download the whole thing again (I sure hope I don't have to do that).

Can I move my old installation to the new HDD, re-install Steam from my original Race 07 disk, and then just enter my Steam account info? Can I just do this but leave it in the old HDD and point Steam to that one?

Maybe there are some links that I can go to to find out, if so just point me there. This must be a common question, so I am surprised I have had so much trouble finding any info.

• Just move the installation to a similar folder on your new HDD
  • Download Steam (www.steampowered.com)
  • Fill in your account details (username/password)
  • Steam will now update your game again if you missed some files (few seconds)
  • :thumb:

• Chris Standring

You can even just move the folder and run the steam.exe from inside it again. Steam always manages to sort itself out whatever you do to it.

When i do move anything manually i always do a verify content on my games just to be sure (right click in the my games menu on the game, click properties, local files tab, and click verify integrity)

Thanks Bram and Chris, it ended up very easy. Based on your advice, I tried just running the Steam exe from the old HDD, and it all sorted itself out, just a few questions to answer, put my password in, accept the agreement again, and it all updated itself. Very quick and easy.

I might try moving it to the new HDD later to see if I get slightly better performance, but even on the old one it seems great. I guess it should be greatly improved with a major PC spec upgrade. I'll even get to run it in 32 bit mode now, woohoo.

• Alberto L. Barcia

• Just move the installation to a similar folder on your new HDD
  • Download Steam (www.steampowered.com)
  • Fill in your account details (username/password)
  • Steam will now update your game again if you missed some files (few seconds)
  • :thumb:

If I understood what you're saying you can make a backup of your game by simply copying its folder into another location (ie DVD or another HD...) and in case you have to format your HD and reinstall your system you only have to reinstall Steam and copy back your game's folder into its original location. Is it right?

This happened to me before :(
I have tried a very simple but high risk method :
Connect both the old and new HDD, download the steam first (to new HDD), then copy the whole steam folder from the old HDD to the new one.......
I'm sure that I was lucky or other reasons, it works!
Hope you can fix it too. God bless you.

• Chris Standring

If I understood what you're saying you can make a backup of your game by simply copying its folder into another location (ie DVD or another HD...) and in case you have to format your HD and reinstall your system you only have to reinstall Steam and copy back your game's folder into its original location. Is it right?

Yep can do that. If you want to back up all your steam games make a copy of the whole steam folder, if you just want to back up one game then make a copy of that games folder and its GCF files from the steam\steamapps folder. The GCF's are the original install files in a compressed format more or less.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%