Mountain side texture needed

Kyle Puttifer

@Simberia
As I may have mentioned before, I'm working on a canyon track inspired by NFS Carbon.
I have tried to take the mountain textures from the Lienz circuit and put them in an XPack, but as you can see the result is not very good.
mountainfail.jpg

I have only put one screenshot, but the orientation of the texture changes as you go along the mountainside.

What I need is:
a) Possible XPack settings to eliminate this issue.
OR
b) A mountainside texture that looks nice when repeated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

That texture makes it look more like a desert mountain, whereas I was aiming for a more grey, rocky look. I'll have a look on cgtextures and see what I can find.
Also, I noticed that the texture repeats A LOT. Scaling the texture up within BTB just makes it look bad. The section of the texture I chose was 2048x512 pixels.

That texture makes it look more like a desert mountain, whereas I was aiming for a more grey, rocky look. I'll have a look on cgtextures and see what I can find.
Also, I noticed that the texture repeats A LOT. Scaling the texture up within BTB just makes it look bad. The section of the texture I chose was 2048x512 pixels.
Reptition of the texture is all down to your mapping within BTB and is entirely under your control only :). You can always chenge the levels of colour in PhotoShop. Textures are never perfect first time, they have always required tweaking in all my modding and/or combining in shaders.

Terrain textures always tile, but that Lienz texture is meant to flow in a specific way. You could apply it to a wall or a track. Another thing you can consider is using the bump/specular maps to create fake details. Look at the properties of the default road material. The main texture is fairly low resolution, but other two textures are scaled differently. ISI did something similar with their rocks. The Diffuse and Bump textures are the same size, but the Specular map looks like a greyscale version of a grass texture, scaled down to create little highlights.

When I started making my own tracks, I made this material:
http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/rfactor/rockRS.7z
Of course with the track I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I wanted to make a 3 mile Nurburgring/Lienz-style track, but there were so many things to learn that it just overwhelmed me.

The texture is from cgtextures (in the Rock\Layered section).

I've tried that but on a smaller scale (quarry) and used a flat object made in sketchup. As you have curves I would have thought your best bet was to use a Twall with rocky scape image on it. Otherwise using terrain textures on a large scale your going to get always repeats.Capturer03.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back