Motorsport | VW Withdraw From All Non-Electric Racing Activities

Get used too it.
'Electric' powered vehicles are not going away and while I doubt the VAG lot are really striving for 'Green' credentials so many manufacturers are sticking their toes into the water.
Biggest laugh would have to be Ford USA who have announced their EV 'Mustang Mach E'.........an SUV into the bargain.
My primary interest (just me, myself) in buying a Tesla is simply to stop paying for petrol.
Currently an Imperial Gallon of fuel costs around A$8.00+/- a few cents in Oz.

Last edited:
I though in the past that green hell is something like that you do a scary lap in a Nordschleife. But now i get it.. Future is going to be a green hell for a true racing enthusiast who love's MOTORSPORT! And yes, with engines where pistons goes up and down with a bang. Not one thing spinning inside another making annoying noise, like my washing machine does.

I have concerns about these EV cars that weigh hundreds of kilos more than a petrol car (a small EV hatchback can weigh 1900kg) when they might hit a pedestrian, particularly if they are quieter as well.
Teslas make a fake noise for pedestrians and cyclists, unlike other cars like the small Renault that you can't indeed hear coming. Brake power is not an issue, even heaviest cars have a short braking distance once your foot is on the pedal. Whatever the noise and brake power, the real danger is behind the steering wheel.

REPORT: VW Withdraw from my car-buying consideration...

Not that they ranked very highly to begin with. But seriously, why bother? Rather drive a Hyundai. Look better, higher quality now, and they like racing gas engines.

The world car market will never, ever, ever, never, by 100% electrified. Their little PR stunt is sad and misguided.

REPORT: VW Withdraw from my car-buying consideration...

Not that they ranked very highly to begin with. But seriously, why bother? Rather drive a Hyundai. Look better, higher quality now, and they like racing gas engines.

The world car market will never, ever, ever, never, by 100% electrified. Their little PR stunt is sad and misguided.
I wouldnt call Hyundai higher quality car at least where I live. Here the most common car is Hyundai Solaris, and they are built like cheap scooters.

I wouldnt call Hyundai higher quality car at least where I live. Here the most common car is Hyundai Solaris, and they are built like cheap scooters.
Maybe it is a regional thing. In North America, Hyundai has been steadily increasing quality and they are now on par with the Japanese. A nice feature of Hyundai cars, for cold climate environments, is that Hyundai cars always start in the winter no matter how cold it gets.

It is very sad to think that...
this will never happen again...

IF that will never happen again, motorsport as we know it will die very quickly...

This question around the global warming makes no sense, everyone panics instead of "thinking". I agree that we need to change some behaviours, but electric cars are not the future, we need more efficient diesel engines or other sources of energy! Some brands already had the technology for very low emissions diesel engines but the panic of the electric will ruin what could be well done to solve the real problem!

Even if all cars in the world will be electric/emissions saving/whatever, racing should allways keep it's essence with fuel engines...

Sadly the electric is just the part of problem. The world is leaping towards AI everything, so self-driving cars (or should I say self-driving boxes with couches) is inevitable thing that would happen over next 20 years. People of the west would sit in their "clean" self driving couches complaining about boring ride in traffic jams, while cities of the east or Africa will turn into toxic wastes for battery supplies. And no one would think about it.
For very young generation cars are already something annoying, thing of the past, just a boring way to get from point A to point B. I foresee someday over next 20 years the pilots would be banned from actually being in the car, so the motorsport will turn fully into drone racing, which is already the big thing of the youth now.
Eh, guess it's inevitable. We don't really have any warm feelings for horse racing either, and i guess the horse racing fans of early 1900s looked at cars and motorsport like at doomsday.
So there will be the sims with our FFB wheels and our rigs, completely irrelevant after our and maybe next generation.

IF that will never happen again, motorsport as we know it will die very quickly...

This question around the global warming makes no sense, everyone panics instead of "thinking". I agree that we need to change some behaviours, but electric cars are not the future, we need more efficient diesel engines or other sources of energy! Some brands already had the technology for very low emissions diesel engines but the panic of the electric will ruin what could be well done to solve the real problem!

Even if all cars in the world will be electric/emissions saving/whatever, racing should allways keep it's essence with fuel engines...
Yeah, I also think like you. Everyone is panicing and the politicians have found a scapegoat in the car manufacturers (at least here in Germany).

I though in the past that green hell is something like that you do a scary lap in a Nordschleife. But now i get it.. Future is going to be a green hell for a true racing enthusiast who love's MOTORSPORT! And yes, with engines where pistons goes up and down with a bang. Not one thing spinning inside another making annoying noise, like my washing machine does.
Hmmm
So this one is by definition excluded from a true racing enthusiasts MOTORSPORT! heaven?

Mazda 787B.jpg

What a damn shame. It was so great seeing them run in IMSA this year - the GTI TCR looked amazing and seemed promising. I can see why they're pulling out, but it's just sad to see.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 256 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 169 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 231 13.8%