Motorsport | Mark Blundell Retires From Racing

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Former Grand Prix driver, Le Mans and IndyCar winner and BTCC driver Mark Blundell has called time on his racing career with immediate effect.

Having enjoyed a glittering career in professional motorsport, 2019 would see fan favourite Mark Blundell return to full-time competition behind the wheel of an Audi S3 in the British Touring Car championship - enduring a difficult season with the Trade Price Racing team, securing points finishes in just two of the 30 races held last year.

Despite indicating that 2019 was to be a learning year ahead of next season, the 53-year-old former Le Mans 24 Hour winner has decided to bring to a close his 30-year career in motorsport, electing to dedicate more time to his off track business interests following the announcement he wouldn't be returning for TPR in 2020.

“Time to let the cat out of the bag and sign off from my racing career,” said the former Formula One driver. “For 30 years I’ve given my all behind the wheel, met the most amazing people and enjoyed moments I’ll never forget. Last year’s BTCC adventure was exactly that, and I loved the challenge of getting back behind the wheel – there can’t be too many grandads who have raced in the series!
With the end of his driving career confirmed, Blundell is now set to focus attention on his driver management business, MB Partners.

“2020 is a huge year ahead for all our drivers at MB Partners along with the next stage in the growth of the agency and who knows, I might still be found in the BTCC paddock this year one way or another" added Blundell.​

“There are too many people to thank along the way but a massive thank you to all my family and friends, and also all the fans who helped me keep my foot in when the going got tough.”

Former team Trade Price Racing have already confirmed Bobby Thompson will line up for the squad in British Touring Cars next year, with a second driver as yet to be announced.

If you have a question about the world of motorsport, or want to share an interesting story, head over to the Motorsport sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread!

Blundell Retires 1.jpg
Blundell Retires 2.jpg
Blundell Retires 4.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest he should of never been hired into the BTCC in the first place, I get it must be hard to lose the thrill of racing but there are other drivers that should of been considered for that position, and after 2 races it stood out a mile he was never going to be competitive.
Just enjoy your retirement this time..

Would've loved to see him at the sharp end in the BTCC, can imagine that would've been great. Sadly, never looked likely and a bit of a sad end to a sterling career.

It's a difficult one. I was kinda roooting for him in the beginning but as the season went on it became apparent he would not be a contender. There were some great battles at the back of the pack at times with the likes of Crees and Hamilton. He's had a mega career so can still be proud of what he's achieved. Better to go out like this than persue the impossible.

To be honest he should of never been hired into the BTCC in the first place, I get it must be hard to lose the thrill of racing but there are other drivers that should of been considered for that position, and after 2 races it stood out a mile he was never going to be competitive.

I dont think Mark was hired.I think MB had the sponsors that wanted to get involved with the BTCC with him as the driver.He would have been competitive in something like British GT where 0.3 off the pace can be made up for with experience but in BTCC 1 sec often covers the entire field.
Front wheel drive is also very different to race with.As the saying goes "You cannot teach a old dog new tricks"
This old dog was in his 50s & been out of competitive motorsport for a while.

A shame.Mark is a nice guy.I can remember him racing in Formula Ford with his family team & he worked on his own car,did some deals & somehow made it to F1.I think his family team even ran his cars in F3000.Would not happen now.

After knowing you for so long, gutted you say that.

Have you ever met the guy, I did and very fortunate to do so.

Everybody deserves a chance in no matter what, and I will say this, MB held his own, totoally respectfull of the team and full BTCC Grid. Ups and downs of course, but so what. MB raced in the BTCC and we, as a team got to experience it. It was fantastic and like I said, he was a true gentlemen.

I guess I was lucky enough to see that first hand.

After knowing you for so long, gutted you say that.

Have you ever met the guy, I did and very fortunate to do so.

Everybody deserves a chance in no matter what, and I will say this, MB held his own, totoally respectfull of the team and full BTCC Grid. Ups and downs of course, but so what. MB raced in the BTCC and we, as a team got to experience it. It was fantastic and like I said, he was a true gentlemen.

I guess I was lucky enough to see that first hand.
Doesn't matter if I have met the guy or not, been around long enough to watch his career, but being a nice guy and a gentlemen, but being totally of the pace is good ground to get a drive over a young talent trying to brake through, yeh right..

Ok why not. Bye Man

See you later on my road with a normal speed^^

I'm sorry, I was on public transportation, I found the image of Untertaker amusing in the sense that it is always an emotional moment to finish one's career, one's sporting life, one's adrenaline rush.

Anyway, many projects are still ahead for him, that he can enjoy above all his family, life is short :)

Maybe Maybe not, but it's more an indictment of motor sport in general these days. Mark himself was honest enough at the start of last season to admit that the only reason he got the drive was because he was able to raise the budget required to get the seat. Sadly all too often extremely talented young drivers are passed over simply because they cannot raise the necessary finances to pay for a drive and I don't see that changing any time soon unfortunately

Mark, when you arrived on the scene in Formula Ford you had star written all over you. Over the years you've proved that over and over again. Over the years you've endured more ups and downs than a lady of the nights underwear yet always bounced back with a smile and more determination than ever. May be the BTCC wasn't your best decision but like a star you stuck it out and gave, as always 110%, now again you've proved yourself a star by realising that the time has come to hang up the helmet and move on. I know it's not an easy decision to make. Enjoy your retirement mate, you've earned it

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 333 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 463 39.2%