Motorsport Manager Review/First Impressions

Lorenzo Bonder

Wah wah.
Well I only got 5 hours into this game, but what a good game this is!

The tutorial has been very helpful understanding how the game is played, very complete, with useful information for the player. It took me I think 2 races to get familiar with the game settings.

The settings I put were long distance races, which could vary between 35-50 laps (maybe laps less or more than the minimum/maximum). You can actually set how long the races are, and the difficulty is set by how long the race is and how well you manage your cars.

The cars have a real degradation factor and could ruin your entire race depending how well you perform.

I didn't grab a top tier team in the low tier Euro Series (you can play all tiers, you just have to choose) a team, but I got a team with some good drivers, a balanced cars, OK staff, but the HQ facilities are poor, so I got myself a challenge. Creating parts is a must and improve their reliability and performance, even the stock ones is key for good performances. Strategies too and practices help quite a lot, though I feel practices lack more time to get a good feeling of the car and how the race will play out. 12 minutes is kind of short to get a good feeling.

I could go really into the review of this game, but so far this game will consumes hours of my playtime.

Final Fantasy XV, you better be a DAMN GOOD GAME, because I just found my new favorite time killer I guess.

What you guys think about it so far?

Its a good game, couldn't resist getting it and played for 11 hours without a break. I did choose the worst GP3 team combined with the tutorial to learn the game.

The race weekends are very well done, there is a lot of micromanagement possible. The way you can control the driver during the race, having to communicate to get the setup right is excellent. I noticed some problems if the track gets wet, the ai is not switching to intermediats until the track is ~20% wet, meanwhile my drivers tell me to change the tire.

The team management is done ok overall, missing some dept here and there. The interviews for example look like a placeholder. The voting for rule changes are a good addition and keep changing the game. Would like to see more interaction between sponsor and team, there is not much to do other then finding the "best" contract.

Question: Am i missing how to make next years car better?
I guess the only way is to hire a better engineer that can potentially develop a better car. Under the button bank you can try to save up more money each race ... but why should i, when i can do that manually anyway or is there another benefit i am missing?

Later the car development is just happening, nothing really i can influence (ok i can change the look of the car)

Its a good game, couldn't resist getting it and played for 11 hours without a break. I did choose the worst GP3 team combined with the tutorial to learn the game.

The race weekends are very well done, there is a lot of micromanagement possible. The way you can control the driver during the race, having to communicate to get the setup right is excellent. I noticed some problems if the track gets wet, the ai is not switching to intermediats until the track is ~20% wet, meanwhile my drivers tell me to change the tire.

The team management is done ok overall, missing some dept here and there. The interviews for example look like a placeholder. The voting for rule changes are a good addition and keep changing the game. Would like to see more interaction between sponsor and team, there is not much to do other then finding the "best" contract.

Not-GP3 are using road tyres unless it's voted differently, the drivers however seems to automatically think "slicks" and thus are asking for inters/wets. But as they are threaded, you can easily wait until around 20-25% wetness on the track (look at laptimes)

Yup, however, remember that there are quite easy to see that many of the things in the game are mobile-game legacy stuff, I wholeheartedly believe that with a proper PC-game dev-cycle we will see these things made more "traditionally"

Question: Am i missing how to make next years car better?
I guess the only way is to hire a better engineer that can potentially develop a better car. Under the button bank you can try to save up more money each race ... but why should i, when i can do that manually anyway or is there another benefit i am missing?

Later the car development is just happening, nothing really i can influence (ok i can change the look of the car)

Not really, but as the not-twitter messages in the game for me says "Who can be a Predator Race Fan, it's like masochism".
To make Predator better, you will need to invest in everything.
But at the end of each season, you can use money on the new chassis, all the money you have used (saved up) on each race contributes (A new car, with all the best buyable stuff, can cost you 15-17 mill, and that's not included the possibility for manufacturer breakthroughs during pre-season which can cost you 1-6 million extra).
Then the better designer you have, the better it is.

After that, you will need to make new parts to the car, which is better than the original ones, then use your mechanic-team to further develop the parts to maximize performance and make them more reliable. This work will carry on, and give some help for next years car as well (not the reliability part of it).
The advantage I see of setting 1 mill to next years car for each race (again, using EUR as currency), is that I am guaranteed 10 mill to next years car. If I try to save them manually, it is easy to spend them on other stuff.

Anyway, you have chosen Predator, it is by far the hardest team to do anything useful with. You are in to a long ride :)

Hi,
Thanks for the information, everyone.
I was astonished by the quality of the well developed system of this game. And I'm now enjoying my first Career Season. :)

(Edited)
I found a thread talking about "Car Setup - Rear Wing Angle" on Steam Forum. I'm going to report my thought there.
Thank you, :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%