Hey all,

Thanks Motorsports Games for letting my hijack your new game announcement!

I'm trying to get ICR2 to work on an Android version of RetroArch. Not sure if you guys saw, but the Dosbox Pure Core allows you to operate dos games with a standard controller and I was able to play Detroit on my tablet with it. Now I'm trying to get ICR2 to work and I can't quite figger it out.

Wondering if any other DOS geeks out there have the secret sauce to get it to run. I will probably try it out on my PC next to make sure I can get it to work there.

Thanks, Ryan

Though I by far like "open code moddable sims" to "rigid moneymaking sims" (where you have to buy an entire new game for each new season...), this will definately be a title I'll look more into, and first time since the splendid CARTFactor 1998 mod for rFactor(1) I'll drive a modern prime american openwheeler again :)

And if the developers do have the intention and success of cross platform "real sim" competition I can only see this as a real opportunity to lurk the major console player market into the real sim world.
Think of online cross-platform competition series, based on a common state of the art real sim engine, it would bring hope to our niche sport for the future.

But please dont turn into PC3-like things as closed pits and so on. Pit stops should ofcourse be as manual as they can be.

Last edited:
:) Looking forward to it, it's been a long time coming, and I hope it doesn't disappoint. I've got enough out and out race sims, so I don't mind it being a (Codemasters type) 'sim-cade' as long as it drives well, the AI race properly and it is a believable experience.

The title says it all. With the mess Motorsport Games has put themselves in with NASCAR 21... what in the world is this Indycar game going to look like? Depending on whether Motorsport can sort themselves and their product out, perhaps Indycar will pull out of the partnership and the game won't happen at all?

It's sad... Indycar/CART hasn't truly had a full-featured sim game you could play in single-player since 1995 (!!) with Indycar Racing 2. But my goodness, it deserves one! iRacing is the closest... offers many tracks (although not all) but online-only for now in Indycar. Others just have a smattering of content – which doesn't capture what makes Indycar so interesting. So the announcement of the Motorsport Indycar game got my hopes up a bit.

I hope I'm being overly speculative and too alarmist. Cause I want these Motorsport games to succeed! But... yikes.

The title says it all. With the mess Motorsport Games has put themselves in with NASCAR 21... what in the world is this Indycar game going to look like? Depending on whether Motorsport can sort themselves and their product out, perhaps Indycar will pull out of the partnership and the game won't happen at all?

It's sad... Indycar/CART hasn't truly had a full-featured sim game you could play in single-player since 1995 (!!) with Indycar Racing 2. But my goodness, it deserves one! iRacing is the closest... offers many tracks (although not all) but online-only for now in Indycar. Others just have a smattering of content – which doesn't capture what makes Indycar so interesting. So the announcement of the Motorsport Indycar game got my hopes up a bit.

I hope I'm being overly speculative and too alarmist. Cause I want these Motorsport games to succeed! But... yikes.
Pardon my ignorance... what's the "mess" they put themselves in with NASCAR 21?

Pardon my ignorance... what's the "mess" they put themselves in with NASCAR 21?
Basically... missing core features like stage racing, a remarkable number of bugzillas that appear consistently and are game-breaking, broken steering wheel/pedals support for many setups, and more. One of the worst game launches in memory, if not the very worst! Search up clips of bugs on the internet, and you'll see for yourself. Recent comments on this forum post here on RD will give an idea too. Unfortunately, I'm not just being that angry sim racing man TM you sometimes see on sim racing forums -- right now, the game is just factually very broken and undercooked.

Last edited:
I honestly hope motorsport games stops development on any 22 release of their NASCAR title and fleshes out what they have with ignition 21. It's a hot mess and if they just throw out a few hot fixes, then call it a day, it won't instill a whole lot of confidence in any future releases from them.

I'm definitely concerned with the upcoming IndyCar title. I was excited when it was announced but after seeing what ignition 21 looks like, I'm worried that the IndyCar release won't even make it to market because motorsport games might not even be around anymore. Ignition 21 might very well go down as the worst release of all time.

eHwAsyE.jpg

KWhPGnK.jpg

It all depends on what you put in "full-featured sim game". But these two were actually quite good. Weight Jack, Fuel Mix, Bump Day, Proper setups, unforgiving damage model.
Good stuff.

eHwAsyE.jpg

KWhPGnK.jpg

It all depends on what you put in "full-featured sim game". But these two were actually quite good. Weight Jack, Fuel Mix, Bump Day, Proper setups, unforgiving damage model.
Good stuff.
Yeah, you're totally right that those had full Indycar features – proper Indy 500 race week format, weight jacker, legit damage, and so on! Good on Codemasters for doing that. Perhaps I shouldn't dismiss those games out of hand as not 'simmy'. But I always got the impression the driving physics were quite wonky and unintuitive in these, whereas – especially considering its time – ICR2 IMO feels relatively logical to drive. Not to say ICR2 doesn't have its quirks too though obviously haha. Maybe I should give those Codies titles a try.

One thing I should say to be fair to Motorsport Games: given their attention to small details in NASCAR 21, there is reason to be hopeful for something close to "full" Indycar features. But then you can't be sure – their omission of stage racing doesn't bode well for a proper Indy 500 experience with 4-lap average qualifying, 3 wide start...

Yeah, you're totally right that those had full Indycar features – proper Indy 500 race week format, weight jacker, legit damage, and so on! Good on Codemasters for doing that. Perhaps I shouldn't dismiss those games out of hand as not 'simmy'. But I always got the impression the driving physics were quite wonky and unintuitive in these, whereas – especially considering its time – ICR2 IMO feels relatively logical to drive. Not to say ICR2 doesn't have its quirks too though obviously haha. Maybe I should give those Codies titles a try.

One thing I should say to be fair to Motorsport Games: given their attention to small details in NASCAR 21, there is reason to be hopeful for something close to "full" Indycar features. But then you can't be sure – their omission of stage racing doesn't bode well for a proper Indy 500 experience with 4-lap average qualifying, 3 wide start...

Eh. I found IndyCar Series to be surprisingly nice with a G27 in 2019. Yes it lacks a bit here and there, but then again, it wasn't meant to be a hardcore sim.
As IndyCar 2005 is a console exclusive I've tried it on an emulator, but I can't get my wheel to work, and it wasn't amazing with a controller (I am not precise enough). Regardless, I felt the different of the weight jack in the car, so that's something!

Ye, I had hopes for NASCAR21, but I won't touch it even if it was given to me for free... I got no time for games like that.

Eh. I found IndyCar Series to be surprisingly nice with a G27 in 2019. Yes it lacks a bit here and there, but then again, it wasn't meant to be a hardcore sim.
As IndyCar 2005 is a console exclusive I've tried it on an emulator, but I can't get my wheel to work, and it wasn't amazing with a controller (I am not precise enough). Regardless, I felt the different of the weight jack in the car, so that's something!
Well, I'll try to give it a try then! I have a PS2 still haha, so now just gotta get my hands on the game.

They have multiple dev teams: the 704 guys in Florida, another dev team in Russia and a small one in the UK, plus the Studio 397 people who are working on the rF2 engine.

It's not clear who is going to be doing the IndyCar game, maybe not the NASCAR 21: Ignition team? Hopefully they will have more time to get the physics and AI issues ironed out before that game launches, but it's still several years away.

What I'm wondering is what will come of the BTCC game? We've heard basically nothing since it was announced.

Hopefully they will have more time to get the physics and AI issues ironed out before that game launches, but it's still several years away.
This is exactly what we gotta hope for! Fingers crossed. :)
What I'm wondering is what will come of the BTCC game? We've heard basically nothing since it was announced.
Good point. Hopefully Motorsport, even with the multiple dev teams and 397, haven't bitten off too much to do at a high quality. There's future NASCAR, WEC, Indycar, and BTCC games to do. Plus 397 presumably doing rF2. stuff. It's a bit concerning IMO, since from what I've read and seen about NASCAR 21, it seems likely that the biggest issue for the devs was lack of time before release (along with poor prioritization of features into which to put effort).

Last edited:
Not to mention the egregious day one DLC with little value. A $90 Champion's Edition with a Bill Elliot throwback skin?! A $15 throwback skin pack?! Look back at PC2, for all you can say about the base game, but the $10 Spirit of Le Mans back is how it should be done! And then considering the F120XX series, they've been throwing in full historic cars, not just skins. And if you couple it with things like checkpoint challenges and overtake challenges you could think of it a new game mode, and this is packaged in with the normal price for the F1 games.

Also, don't forget CART Precision Racing on the PC and CART World Series on the PS1. CART Flag to Flag on the Dreamcast. Also, there is CART Fury on the PS2, but that's arcade. And lets not forget the Driven games. Okay, lets forget them....

Yeah, a rip-off pricing model like that Day One DLC doesn't bode well either. Goodness!

Oh man... yeah, there are all those CART games! Good point. Not "sims" per se, but still. Hmm. Come to think of it, I might have a copy of CART World Series for PS1, and I could probably play it on my old PS2. Hmm. Might have to try this out when I'm at my childhood home over the holidays!

EDIT: corrected the name of the game I meant to the correct one

Last edited:
Nothing that I've heard! Other than discussion that there are different dev teams working on each of the Motorsport Games games... so the IndyCar game won't be developed by the exact same people as NASCAR 21. Others may have seen things that I haven't, however.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 398 40.0%