MotorLand Aragon Confirmed for 2020 WTCR Season

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
MotorLand Aragon WTCR Slot.jpg

A new track will be joining the 2020 WTCR calendar next season, with MotorLand Aragon announcing the series will return to Spanish soil for the first time since 2012.

Principally known for hosting motorcycle racing since it opened for competition in 2009, the 5.344km circuit located in Alcañiz, Spain has recently confirmed their commitment to expanding their events calendar to incorporate more car racing in future years - starting with the FIA WTCR for next season.

Always a popular destination in the premier MotoGP bike racing class, Aragon is no stranger to high performance car racing - the circuit having previously hosted the original Renault World Series 3.5 car and later variants of that category, however it is perhaps best known for its long standing association with MotoGP since 2010, and the occasional World Superbike championship round.

Although the circuit have confirmed a reported three year deal to host WTCR from next season, official confirmation from the category promotors Eurosport Events has yet to be forthcoming - with a potential formal announcement expected later in the year.

The return of top level touring car racing to a Spanish venue is a welcome move for the series, with the Valencia round having dropped off the schedule at the end of the 2012 racing season.

Of the current WTCR grid, no-less than five drivers have triumphed in Spain, with Cyan Racing Lynk &Co driver Yvan Muller leading the pack thanks to four victories spanning the 2009 to 2012 WTCC seasons.

Not familiar with the track? Check out this Renault 3.5 onboard lap courtesy of AUTOhedbo:
For more from the world of motorsport, head over to the Motorsports sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I don t know is it only me or this racing series has become boring lately?

Are drivers more careful at higher racing level, doing math all the time or simply don t dare to overtake, are tracks different now and don t give opportunity for overtakings ... I have no clue, but I have watched TCR at YT since there were only 300 viewers mostly from Eastern Europe (and some Italians) and today s WTCR racing actions are not near close to those we watched in TCR years.

I don t know is it only me or this racing series has become boring lately?

Are drivers more careful at higher racing level, doing math all the time or simply don t dare to overtake, are tracks different now and don t give opportunity for overtakings ... I have no clue, but I have watched TCR at YT since there were only 300 viewers mostly from Eastern Europe (and some Italians) and today s WTCR racing actions are not near close to those we watched in TCR years.
True but also a track choice often less suited for good racing is contributing to this in fia wtcr imo

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%