MotoGP | Rossi to Leave Yamaha in 2021 - Quartararo Joining

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi will part company with the works Yamaha outfit in 2021, paving the way for young hotshot Fabio Quartararo to join Maverik Vinales at the Japanese squad.

As the most successful rider in MotoGP history, charismatic Italian Valentino Rossi has an incredible following in the sport since making an explosive debut for Yamaha in the top category some 20 years ago. Recording an incredible 89 wins from 342 race starts during his illustrious career, 2021 will see Valentino Rossi looking for alternative employment in the category following the Yamaha announcement that young rider, and standout 2019 star Fabio Quartararo will be stepping up to the works outfit at the end of the coming season.

"For reasons dictated by the riders’ market, Yamaha asked me at the beginning of the year to make a decision regarding my future" said Rossi of todays' announcement.​
"Consistent with what I said during the last season, I confirmed that I didn't want to rush any decision and needed more time. Yamaha has acted accordingly and concluded the ongoing negotiations. It is clear that after the last technical changes and with the arrival of my new crew chief, my first goal is to be competitive this year and to continue my career as a MotoGP rider also in 2021. Before doing so, I need to have some answers that only the track and the first few races can give me.
Despite the fact Rossi will be celebrating his 41st birthday next month, the Italian riders career looks set to continue beyond the end of this season, with the nine-times World Champion admitting he intends to remain in MotoGP beyond the current season - something that Yamaha are keen to support despite the announcement of Quartararo joining the works team for next season.
I’m happy that, should I decide to continue, Yamaha is ready to support me in all respects, giving me a factory-spec bike and a factory contract. In the first tests I will do my best to do a good job together with my team and be ready for the start of the season" added Rossi.​
Prior to the confirmation announcement today, Yamaha have already confirmed current rider Maverik Vinales will remain with the outfit for a further two years, extending the 25-year-old's stay with the manufacturer into a fifth season together.

Rossi will use the opening portion of 2020 to assess his overall competitiveness in MotoGP, before firming up his plans within the sport beyond next season.

Original Source: Yamaha MotoGP

If you want to know more about the world of motorsport, or just ask a question about the world of two and four wheel racing - head over to the Motorsport sub forum and post a question to our community today!

Rossi MotoGP Move 1.jpg

Last edited:
I think this was obvious from months ago and the fact it was signed pre-season suggests that.

Jorge rides just like Fabio so that fits in well, Vinales is mercurial at best so this is about their future.

Rossi will go to Petronas and either become a partner or go back to being a team owner in his own right in 2 and 3. Personally feel it's a god move, Franc is a good mate, nice little retirement year.

He was often the slowest Yam for most of the year, got good results still but in practice and qually was often the slowest, he is a great rider still.

Personally would love to see him do a year in SBK, just to annoy Biaggi but I think Rea might beat him!

Why are people talking like he's retired when his own statement says he wants to continue? He even states Yamaha will happily give him his own bike and factory contract should he want it. So assuming he "answers" these "questions" he has for himself, presumably regarding his own competitiveness, it seems that there's every chance he'll race in 2020 and beyond.

It ain't over `till the fat lady sings, as they say.

Why are people talking like he's retired when his own statement says he wants to continue? He even states Yamaha will happily give him his own bike and factory contract should he want it. So assuming he "answers" these "questions" he has for himself, presumably regarding his own competitiveness, it seems that there's every chance he'll race in 2020 and beyond.

It ain't over `till the fat lady sings, as they say.

Swan song with Ducati would be fitting

correct move by Yamaha, they need to invest in the future. It'll be interesting to see how Rossi fairs this year, IMO be good to see him manage a MGP VR46 team at some point.

Hail Vale!
rossi.jpg

A living riding legend.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Here Here...
Living Legend of Moto GP, or simply The "G.O.A.T" of Moto GP ...

Moto GP Champion on both 500cc 2-Strokes and 1000cc 4-Strokes

They'll never be another Rossi!

I'll never watch the sport with the same enthusiasm!!!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 185 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 138 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 244 13.5%