MGP22 MotoGP 22 Modding Tutorial

This tutorial will teach you how to take your very first steps into modding the MotoGP 22 game, although this tutorial will pretty much apply for any Milestone game from MotoGP 18 onwards.

To begin with I'll just stick to the basics, which is texture editing. However, I may later update this page to show other more complicated things.

Before you do anything, you'll first need to get the tools that you'll be using throughout the tutorial.

Text Tutorial:
You'll need to download 4 things:
These can be downloaded here: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/motogp-22-mod-repacking-tools.51278/

Once you have that file downloaded, extract it somewhere that you can easily find as you'll need it later.
Next you'll need a program called UE Viewer (formerly known as Umodel): https://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel

Similarly to the repacking tools, extract this file to an easy to find place as you'll need to run the program shortly.
Next you'll need to install Unreal Engine Editor Version 4.27:
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/download

That page has a video showing you how to install Unreal Engine, you will want to select version 4.27 from the drop down.
The final thing you want to install is Python 2.7:
https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/

If you have any other versions of Python already installed, I recommend uninstalling them as it may cause issues later when we come to repack.
Now that you've got the tools you'll need from the first part we can get into the modding!!

Text tutorial:
First of all I'll start by showing you how to edit a bike skin as it's fairly simple, but the process is the same for pretty much any texture in the game so afterwards you can try with something else.

Section 1: Export
- Open Umodel (This will be located where you extracted it earlier).
- Copy and paste the path to MotoGP 22 game directory into the text box (Normally it is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MotoGP™22" ).
- Don't try to navigate to it as it will remove everything after the "™" and you wont see any files, just copy the path directly into the text box.
- Select "Override Game Detection".
- Select "Unreal Engine 4" And "Unreal Engine 4.27".

unknown.png

Then hit "OK".
- You'll now have a window with all the directories of the game.
- Navigate to: "motogp22\Content\assets\graphics\vehicles\bikes\cat001\chassis\chassis101".

unknown.png

If you're unsure of the ID of the bike you want to edit click on textures and then on "livery001.uasset".
This will load the first texture of the bike so you can see if this is the bike you want to edit.
In this case we are using "chassis101", which is the Ducati GP21.

It will display something like this:

unknown.png

If you want to return to the previous screen press "O" and it will exit the preview.

- Once you have found the texture you want to edit, click on "Tools->Export current object" and Umodel will export the texture currently being viewed.
-Umodel will automatically create a folder called "UmodelExport" located where Umodel.exe is. (Again this is where you extracted it to earlier).
You can now find the texture (.tga format) and edit it!

Section 2: Import back in game
Part 1: Prepare your modded textures.
Basically we are now going to convert the modded .tga texture to a .uasset (The file format used in Unreal Engine games).
- Launch the Unreal Engine editor.
- Select Games.
unknown.png

- Select Blank Project.
unknown.png

- Select no starter content, choose a path to save the project to and then you can name it whatever you want. I'm going to call mine "Tutorial".
- Click on Create Project. (Again, create this somewhere you can find later)
unknown.png

- Now that the project is created, you need to create the same directory structure that as the texture you extracted through Umodel.

In our case this is:
"motogp22\Content\assets\graphics\vehicles\bikes\cat001\chassis\chassis101\textures".

To create a folder, Right Click and select "New Folder".

Once it is done, it will look like this:
unknown.png

- Now drag your modded texture here:
unknown.png

- Double Click the texture and change the Texture Group setting to "Project Group 01", this is so the texture doesn't appear blurry in game before loading fully.
unknown.png

- Now you can close the texture window to return to the previous screen.
- Click on File->Save all.
- Click on File->Cook content for windows. Wait till it finishes. You can now close Unreal Engine
Part 2: Repack.
In this part of the process, we are taking the files you just cooked and repacking them for the game.

- Now go to the location you saved the Unreal Project earlier.
- From there go to "Saved\Cooked\WindowsNoEditor\ProjectName\Content".

You will see there is a folder called "assets".
- Copy this "assets" folder.

- Next you need to go to the "MotoGP 22 Repacking Tools" folder (This will be wherever you put it earlier).
- From here go to "motogp22\Content".
- Paste the "assets" folder from the previous step.
- Now go back to the “MotoGP 22 Modding Tools” folder and double click repack command.bat

Once it's done (it's quick), you will have a file called "pakchunk1-WindowsNoEditor_X_P.pak". Replace the X with something else, like "pakchunk1-WindowsNoEditor_MyMod_P.pak"

- Finally copy the pak file you created and paste into:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MotoGP™22\motogp22\Content\Paks"
(or wherever you have installed the game).
Make sure you copy it to where all the other pak files are!!

You're done! Check your mod in game.

Last edited:
Hi,
for me it doesnt show a assets folder under the "Saved\Cooked\WindowsNoEditor\ProjectName\Content" path alos the Repacking tool close on startup

Hi,
for me it doesnt show a assets folder under the "Saved\Cooked\WindowsNoEditor\ProjectName\Content" path alos the Repacking tool close on startup
Are you saving before cooking?

As for the repacker closing, it will close immediately if there’s no files to pack as it closes when it’s done

Hi, thanks for the tutorial! i have a pb: my goal is to make a new helmet sticker.
so i do all the process with a file (here i use :
C:/Users/Leo/Desktop/MODDING/UmodelExport/Game/assets/ui/bitmaps/DynamicRes/Editor/influencer/influencer_001.tga ) but when this file is opened in unreal engine i cannot find the way to remplace it with the logo i want . can you help me pleaaase?
thx

Last edited:
They're in:
"assets\ui\bitmaps\DynamicRes\Editor" and "assets\ui\bitmaps\Editor"
Thank you so much,
i have a pb: my goal is to make a new helmet sticker.
C:/Users/Leo/Desktop/MODDING/UmodelExport/Game/assets/ui/bitmaps/DynamicRes/Editor/influencer/influencer_001.tga ) but when this file is opened in unreal engine i cannot find the way to remplace it with the logo i want

Thank you so much,
i have a pb: my goal is to make a new helmet sticker.
C:/Users/Leo/Desktop/MODDING/UmodelExport/Game/assets/ui/bitmaps/DynamicRes/Editor/influencer/influencer_001.tga ) but when this file is opened in unreal engine i cannot find the way to remplace it with the logo i want
i'm an idiot sorry, found it was with photoshop. but now same as @racetobi i have no "asset" in my folder.
1656273564673.png

You have to create the folders in unreal engine
yes i did it , well i think... then i clck on save all, my project is "checked " and it's written above "asset" which is checked too, then "cook... " but when i go to folder directory there is only this files. tried 3 times but everytime the same result..

I think i know the problem : you say that after you create the projet you right click and create a new folder.

Where do you "right click"?

cause when i right click in U4 i can create a new folder but it does not change anything to the result.

when you say : Now that the project is created, you need to create the same directory structure that as the texture you extracted through Umodel.

what do you mean? i don't understand.

sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
yes i did it , well i think... then i clck on save all, my project is "checked " and it's written above "asset" which is checked too, then "cook... " but when i go to folder directory there is only this files. tried 3 times but everytime the same result..

I think i know the problem : you say that after you create the projet you right click and create a new folder.

Where do you "right click"?

cause when i right click in U4 i can create a new folder but it does not change anything to the result.

when you say : Now that the project is created, you need to create the same directory structure that as the texture you extracted through Umodel.

what do you mean? i don't understand.

sorry for all the questions.
You right click on unreal engine yes, click new folder and name it to whatever it needs to be named.

By directory structure I mean the folder your asset is stored in.

So for example if your asset was stored in “assets\ui\bitmaps”
You’d create a folder called “assets”, then inside that folder create one called “ui”, then inside that one create one called “bitmaps” and then put your asset there.

Then when you save and cook you will see the same folders

hello i want to modify ai performance is there any list order of rider? i mean i remember in motogp 21 page there someone share list order of rider of motogp 21 full with the method... and is the method is same to modify ai motogp 22?

You right click on unreal engine yes, click new folder and name it to whatever it needs to be named.

By directory structure I mean the folder your asset is stored in.

So for example if your asset was stored in “assets\ui\bitmaps”
You’d create a folder called “assets”, then inside that folder create one called “ui”, then inside that one create one called “bitmaps” and then put your asset there.

Then when you save and cook you will see the same folders
finnaly did it thank you sooo much

hello i want to modify ai performance is there any list order of rider? i mean i remember in motogp 21 page there someone share list order of rider of motogp 21 full with the method... and is the method is same to modify ai motogp 22?
The method is the same I believe, no clue on the order however

Hi, thanks for your tutorial!
But I have a problem when I want to open a file in umodel I have this error message.
How to do please?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 85

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 74 12.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years