MGP21 MotoGP 21 Modding Tutorial

IMPORTANT: Following a recent umodel update, it is now possible to export models from the game.

This thread will teach you the very basics of modding the MotoGP games, I am going to try and explain more things this year but to start with we'll just stick to the basics.

Requirements:
1) Download these tools: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/motogp-21-modding-tools.42020/
2) You need Umodel (a.ka UE Viewer): https://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel
3) You need Unreal Engine Editor 4.25:
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/download
4) Also make sure you have Python 2.7 installed:
https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/

Text tutorial:
First of all we'll start with a bike skin as it's the main thing people want to edit and it's super easy, but once you understand the process you can try with something else.

Section 1: Export
-Launch Umodel
- Copy the path to MotoGP 21 into the text box (Normally it is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MotoGP™21 or wherever you have installed it).
- Don't try to navigate to it as you'll have issues, just copy the path directly into the text box.
- Select "Override Game Detection"
- Select "Unreal Engine 4" And "Unreal Engine 4.25 Plus"

unknown.png

Then hit OK.
- You'll now have a window with all the directories of the game. Navigate to: motogp21\Content\assets\graphics\vehicles\bikes\cat001\chassis\chassis101'

unknown.png

If you're unsure of the ID of the bike you want to edit click on textures and then on "livery001.uasset".
This will load the first texture of the bike so you can see if this is the bike you want to edit.

It will display something like this:

unknown.png

If you want to return to the previous screen press "O" and it will exit the preview.

- Once you have found the texure you want to edit click on "Tools->Export current object" and Umodel will export the texture currently being viewed.
-Umodel will automatically create a folder called "UmodelExport" located where Umodel.exe is.
You can now find the texture (.tga format) and edit it!

Section 2: Import back in game
Part 1: Prepare your modded textures.
Basically we need to convert our modded .tga texture to .uasset.
- Launch Unreal Engine editor.
- Select Games.
unknown.png

- Select Blank Project.
unknown.png

- Select no starter content, choose a path to save the project to and then you can name it whatever you want. I'm going to call mine "Tutorial".
- Click on Create Project.
unknown.png

- Drag your modded texture here:
unknown.png

- Double Click the texture and change the Mip Gen setting to "NoMipmaps", this is so the texture doesn't appear blurry in game before loading fully.
unknown.png

- Click on File->Save all. This way you will not need to create a new project next time.
- Close texture window to return to the previous screen.
- Click on File->Cook content for windows. Wait till it finishes. You can close Unreal Engine now!
Part 2: Repack.
Go into "MotoGP 21 Modding Tools" folder from the rar. There you will see a folder called "motogp21". Inside it, you need to create the same Directory where you extracted the file from in Umodel:
"motogp21\Content\assets\graphics\vehicles\bikes\cat001\chassis\chassis101\textures"
Create the missing folders.
- Go to the location you saved the project to earlier (by default it will be "Documents\Unreal Projects\Name")
- Then from there go to "Saved\Cooked\WindowsNoEditor\Name\Content" here you will find the files Unreal Engine cooked for you. You should have 2 files. Copy BOTH of them into "motogp21\Content\assets\graphics\vehicles\bikes\cat001\chassis\chassis101\textures".
We're almost done!
- Now go back to the “MotoGP 21 Modding Tools” folder and double click repack command.bat
Once it's done (it's quick), you will have a file called "pakchunk0-WindowsNoEditor_X_P.pak". Replace the X with something else, like "pakchunk0-WindowsNoEditor_MyMod_P.pak"
Copy the pak file you created and paste into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MotoGP™21\motogp21\Content\Paks
or wherever you have installed the game. Make sure you copy it where all the other pak files are.
You're done! Check your mod in game.

Last edited:
Inside it, you need to create the same Directory where you extracted the file from in Umodel

this is what i dont understand, how do i create the same directory in a file? or what.. i dont get it ..
You are meant to extract the file first to somewhere on your pc. Then you can create folders inside of them to match the folders that are in the game.
For example: you’d create an “assets” folder inside of the “Content” folder

In theory it should since the files should be the same. Which step are you getting stuck at?
I can extract the textures. I use GIMP to edit it. UE cooks it and usually produces 6 files. i have tried using just the 2 with the correct name (uasset &uexp) and I've tried with all 6 when repacking. it gives a pak file. I put it in the pak folder... But i never have anything show up in the game. I dont have any experience doing any of these things, so I'm not sure where I could be going wrong. I followed the directions as best i could, however I have no interest (as of now) to mod bike skins. I have been trying to mod the stock numbers and also replace the emojis with sponsor logos.

I can extract the textures. I use GIMP to edit it. UE cooks it and usually produces 6 files. i have tried using just the 2 with the correct name (uasset &uexp) and I've tried with all 6 when repacking. it gives a pak file. I put it in the pak folder... But i never have anything show up in the game. I dont have any experience doing any of these things, so I'm not sure where I could be going wrong. I followed the directions as best i could, however I have no interest (as of now) to mod bike skins. I have been trying to mod the stock numbers and also replace the emojis with sponsor logos.
Definitely use all six but could you attach a screenshot of the folders you're repacking, probably just a folder missing or something

Definitely use all six but could you attach a screenshot of the folders you're repacking, probably just a folder missing or something
So i know the folders with the files showing in explorer dont match the package structure. I have tried using the folder structure that shows in UE viewer. But i dont seem to be getting it right. I have tried it multiple ways, but I'm happy to try whatever you think will fix it.

Attachments

• Folders.png
    Folders.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 60
So i know the folders with the files showing in explorer dont match the package structure. I have tried using the folder structure that shows in UE viewer. But i dont seem to be getting it right. I have tried it multiple ways, but I'm happy to try whatever you think will fix it.
You're just missing the "Content" folder between "motogp21" and "assets".
That should hopefully fix your issues.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to export (using umodel) the textures for helmets you have created & saved, or downloaded in-game? If so, what folder will they be in?

Does anyone know whether it's possible to export (using umodel) the textures for helmets you have created & saved, or downloaded in-game? If so, what folder will they be in?
No that's not possible. They are stored in your save file as the coordinates for each sticker rather than as the texture itself

@BIKER7202

Hello friend! Created account just for this because I really went into MotoGP 21 Livery Editor haha. :D

1st of all thanks for making this tutorial! I will asap gather all requirements and start exploring and just messing with game. :D

But I have 2 very "important" questions.

1.Can I create an sticker but not in-game, in Photoshop and then import it in game as Sticker? Sticker Editor btw in MotoGP 21 is universal source for either Number, Rider Patch or Helmet Livery. This is something I just found out. I created an Sticker and now I can use it everywhere as teamplate, it's accessible in last tab.

Now as asked, can I import Sticker made outside game? I am just not perfect with Editor in game but with Photoshop I could create exactly what I want.

And 2nd question (if question 1 is positive) can such imported Sticker made outside game be synced with game online and be published without idk getting ban or something?

@BIKER7202

Hello friend! Created account just for this because I really went into MotoGP 21 Livery Editor haha. :D

1st of all thanks for making this tutorial! I will asap gather all requirements and start exploring and just messing with game. :D

But I have 2 very "important" questions.

1.Can I create an sticker but not in-game, in Photoshop and then import it in game as Sticker? Sticker Editor btw in MotoGP 21 is universal source for either Number, Rider Patch or Helmet Livery. This is something I just found out. I created an Sticker and now I can use it everywhere as teamplate, it's accessible in last tab.

Now as asked, can I import Sticker made outside game? I am just not perfect with Editor in game but with Photoshop I could create exactly what I want.

And 2nd question (if question 1 is positive) can such imported Sticker made outside game be synced with game online and be published without idk getting ban or something?
You can replace an existing sticker (for example one of the emojis) and use that. You won't get banned for this as it only changes it for you so anyone else downloading the sticker will just see the original, unless they install the same mod.

The stickers themselves are contained in "Content\assets\ui\bitmaps\Editor"
And the icons for them are contained in "Content\assets\ui\bitmaps\UHDDynamicRes\Editor"

You can replace an existing sticker (for example one of the emojis) and use that. You won't get banned for this as it only changes it for you so anyone else downloading the sticker will just see the original, unless they install the same mod.

The stickers themselves are contained in "Content\assets\ui\bitmaps\Editor"
And the icons for them are contained in "Content\assets\ui\bitmaps\UHDDynamicRes\Editor"
Thanks for clarification! I appreciate it!

So friggin complicated. I did everything step by step then come to repack and it wont let me save the file as a pakchunk. I give up. I just want a few different logos in my game that i can use. You guys are geniuses that did it straight away. Just wish i could get help from one of you. I would gladly let you quick assist and take over my PC to do it.

These are what I wanna put in game if someone can please help

Attachments

• 277-2779689_honda-cbr-logo-honda-cbr-logo-png.jpg
    277-2779689_honda-cbr-logo-honda-cbr-logo-png.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 1170px-Virgin-logo.svg.png
    1170px-Virgin-logo.svg.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 000701403331088a040dbe4a5a72ca7b.png
    000701403331088a040dbe4a5a72ca7b.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 7206331149842415624_1.png
    7206331149842415624_1.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 60
  • castrol.png
    castrol.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 88
  • castrol-gtx-new-logo-F3689378BE-seeklogo.com.png
    castrol-gtx-new-logo-F3689378BE-seeklogo.com.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Leeds_United_Logo_v2-no-tag.png
    Leeds_United_Logo_v2-no-tag.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Leeds-United-symbol.png
    Leeds-United-symbol.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 105
  • rizla-logo-png-transparent.png
    rizla-logo-png-transparent.png
    266.7 KB · Views: 99
  • SBOTOP.jpg
    SBOTOP.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 97
So friggin complicated. I did everything step by step then come to repack and it wont let me save the file as a pakchunk. I give up. I just want a few different logos in my game that i can use. You guys are geniuses that did it straight away. Just wish i could get help from one of you. I would gladly let you quick assist and take over my PC to do it.
Do you get an error when running the command? Or does it just not create a file at all?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 456 39.3%