MGP20 MotoGP 20 | Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The latest instalment to the long running MotoGP series of videogames is now available.

Releasing before the real world series managed to turn a wheel in anger, Milestone have today made available for purchase the new MotoGP '20 videogame on Xbox One, PS4, PC, Google Stadia and Nintendo Switch.

Featuring all the teams, riders, bikes and circuits of the 2020 MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 racing categories, MotoGP promises to be an upgrade in every way of previous editions of the franchise - from graphics to gameplay features, the new title very much represents an upgrade in performance for this popular officially licenced MotoGP product.

From the launch press release:

A GREATER GAMEPLAY DEPTH WITH THE NEW MANAGERIAL CAREER

The new Career Mode will put players into a pro riders’ boots, with an engaging and progressive gaming experience both on and off the track. Just like in the real MotoGP™ simply being fast on the circuit is not enough; players will need to take the best decisions to find a winning strategy to master the Championship.

Echoing real life, one of the key figures at the top of the team is the personal manager, whose work can truly make a difference when it comes to sponsorship and contract opportunities. If players select a new team, they will be able to make their rider and bike stand out using different graphic editors to modify the helmet, racing number, lower-back patch, stickers and bike livery. When it comes to being fast on track, it is the players’ choice of technical staff that influences the performance of the bike; the most skilled technicians will be able to develop bikes better and faster, but of course they will be much more expensive than others. How do you find the right balance between budget and performance? It’s up to players! On-track tests during the weekend will provide valuable data for development, but the synergy between the engineers will determine how much of this knowledge can be actually used to craft new parts. Each engineer will have different skills in different areas so teamwork will be key.

Taking part in the winter and mid-season tests enables players to develop their bike, choosing up to 3 different packs with various engines and frame combinations to find the perfect settings for the season. Once the season starts, players can also improve performances of different bike parts, earning and spending development points and allocating their R&D staff to reach the highest level. Aerodynamics, electronics, engine power and fuel consumption are just an example of the many technical parts that players can now manage to improve their bikes. For the first time, Milestone also announces brand-new features that will support the game after launch, that will further expand contents of the Managerial Career gameplay; more details about the post launch features will be revealed soon.

A STEP FORWARD IN SIMULATION

The development team worked really hard to make the gameplay much more strategic and realistic, with brand new features boosting realism such as fuel management, asymmetrical tires’ consumption and, last but not least, for the first time in franchise history, aerodynamic damages that will impact bike’s aesthetic and performances. As in real life, tires stress and wear don’t apply on both sides and middle equally. MotoGP™20 will implement these three areas separately and it will reproduce some real-world dynamics down to the smallest details. In each race players will be able to decide the quantity of fuel and which type of tire to use, always keeping in mind that bike physics are affected by their decisions. The overall level of simulation marks a big step forward in MotoGP™20; modern MotoGP™ bikes have very complex aerodynamic winglets that when damaged change the bikes’ balance significantly. Crashing or colliding with other riders in game, may have a permanent effect on bike handling just like in a real race. Continuously looking for extreme realism, the game physics has been completely re-worked to make gameplay more technical and skill based.

MotoGP 20 Launch 2.jpg

Many of the features that made the success of the previous chapter of the franchise, return this year with a lot of improvements as a result of the precious feedback that Milestone received from its passionate community:

• A renowned historical mode. One of the community’s favorite game modes will be back in a brand-new format, with full races randomly generated that players need to win to unlock and collect the most iconic riders and bikes.
  • Neural AI goes 2.0. What many thought was utopic, has become a reality. Last year A.N.N.A. (an acronym for Artificial Neural Network Agent) brought a more fast, natural and fair AI. This year Milestone developers further enhanced its capabilities, to allow her to strategically manage tire and fuel consumption, as real riders do.
  • New Editors. Together with Stickers, Helmets, Racing Numbers and Lower-back patches, in MotoGP™20 players will also be able to customize bikes’ liveries of their Custom Team, to race on track with a unique style.
  • The best online experience. Dedicated Servers for the Multiplayer mode have continued to enable a more reliable and fun online experience. Now we added quality of life improvements that will further enhance online gameplay in all modes: Public Matches, Private Matches and Race Director Mode.

MotoGP is available now on Xbox One, PS4, PC, Google Stadia and Nintendo Switch.

Want to know more about the game? Start a thread in the MotoGP 20 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with our awesome community.

MotoGP 20 Launch 1.jpg

So... after 20 hours of MotoGP I change my opinion on it.
First 10 hours were dramatic. I though: what the hell did they do to this game? MG19 bikes were so fun to ride. The next few hours I gave it a chance only to discover how wrong I was. The reason is I probably played MG19 for too long (350+ hours) and got too much used to it.

The first thing is this new riding physics are much more complicated than they appear when you play the game for the first time. The most annoying thing for me was that the bike wobbles in a strange way when I hit the gas on the exit of a turn, even if I do it gently. I got f*cking mad how stupid it looks and got me really dissapointed. I found the reason which I never suspected as I thought this became a totally arcade game.
The reason is the level of the LEAN. I ride real bike also on tracks and I thought... well I NEVER apply the gas @ a full lean. This is the moment when I go on the limit and have little traction. I can accelerate in full lean, but I have to start it BEFORE I lean to the limit. And this is exactly how it works in MG20. The perfect way is you brake before corner, starting to lean and just before you go down to the limit you apply a little gas and adding more of it until exit (the bike straightens and the more grip it has the more you can accelerate). So in this game, full lean is full lean, actually you should use it only when you have to and when you lean to the limit do not apply the gas - the other way is when you go through a corner without a gas at full lean, you should straighten the bike up just a little bit and then start applying he gas. This is how it works in real life. You can't just move the trigger from full left in left turns to full right at right turns, now it must be done really gently. It will take a lot of practice to master it.
In MG19 it did not matter, because the physics were more simple. I am surprised.

Of course, there is still a lot to patch, like breaking in corners - lowsides should be much more often. You can't just go full speed into a turn, lean and keep 80%-90% of the breaks because you crash suddenly. The bike has too much traction in corners, like the asphalt was a rubber - that is one of the reasons why the lap times are a few seconds better than real life. Also, AI loses racing lines on some tracks and has a strange behavior - it slows down before braking points on the long straights. That does not happen at 120%, that should be fixed.

So if you didn't like MG20, in my opinion: give it a chance and wait for the patch.

It is important to remind about AI, (I test MOTO2!) - LIVE SESSION results also are mathematically generated (when you accelerate time as well), so during qualify session I always quickly make setup and go out on track spending ~ 13.5 min there (from 15 min qualify - 1.5 min takes setup + going out). Even if my attempts are over, I just park\wait on the side of track, off racing line and wait.
Then approaching the end, I check that lap is valid and resume to ride a bit after when time is 0:00. So THESE ARE real results, and they are much more varied than this generated stuff - when, often, even DallaPorta can get a pole. Only Bezecchi seems too fast and consistent.

Last edited:
Been looking around a bit. Did I completely misunderstand the press releases? I was under the impression that you would be able to make your own team again, and have a Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP team like in one of the older games. But it's just signing up as a lone driver for new fantasy team or something like that?
You don't get to buy the bike you want and pick your sponsor like it was in MotoGP 17. Basically you don't create your own team, period. You get contracts and just sign as a rider for a team (fantasy or real) and you get to manage the staff and the bike research. It's not YOUR team like it was in MotoGP17, it's a premade team. You can only change livery style and colors.
I guess THQ only cared for a quick release and not to let milestone do a proper job on the team management aspect. I bet every single one of their games from now on are going to be like this. A hackjob.

" I can accelerate in full lean, but I have to start it BEFORE I lean to the limit."
I wonder how many times you've highsided doing this. Provided of course you DO ride a bike, which i doubt judging from what you say here.

What you describe might work in a video game if the poor physics allow it, but in real life it's a textbook mistake. If you start opening the throttle before you even reach full lean (and apex), you will either lose the apex and go wide, or as soon as the bike reaches full lean the rpms will go up (as it happens in real life) and you will highside. It's just how it works.
You will never ever see a pro rider in motogp or sbk or any other motorcycle racing do that. Never. The correct order (and what most do) goes like this.
1)Close the throttle,brake and pick the right gear,
2)Start leaning aiming for the apex.
3)Hit the apex and start accelerating gently while at full lean. Once you start getting up you progressively apply more and more throttle.
It's motorcycle riding 101. Basic stuff.

The fact that the rear slides when you even SNEEZE on the throttle when you're at full lean, means that the tire physics need a LOT of work. Shouldn't work like that. There's still grip for like 5%-10% throttle at full lean, especially for MotoGP tires.

Also, you don't fall instantly when you start braking midturn. From the moment when the front tire starts to get loaded until the moment it reaches it's maximum grip, there's a lot of room for braking, especially with HOT racing tires and super grippy asphalt. Just never do it on street tires on the street. That's ONE thing the game gets right.

PS: Before starting an argument over this, please visit youtube. Everything's in there. MotoGP telemetry onboard videos are the best source.

Last edited:
Over the course of the historical challenges, we are learning what type of rubber to use and how to use it along with the power control to avoid running out of fuel or tires at the end of the race as happened here at Casey Stoner's house, where unstoppable.

"Hello Idrus, thanks for posting, We do have a physics update in the work." One comment of the official MotoGP Dev Team in Facebook today. The Guy was complaining about the physics like most of us.

Maybe some hope for the future of the game. Physics and correct AI Splines and the game would be MUCH more enjoyable.

"Hello Idrus, thanks for posting, We do have a physics update in the work." One comment of the official MotoGP Dev Team in Facebook today. The Guy was complaining about the physics like most of us.

Maybe some hope for the future of the game. Physics and correct AI Splines and the game would be MUCH more enjoyable.
I doubt it. It has a LOT of issues. They would have to pretty much remake the entire game. They will probably try to remedy SOME issues and then simply announce MotoGP21. Like they've always been doing.

I'm Lucky to get past the 1st corner without being knocked off me bike, getting irritated hearing that commentators voice saying the same thing over n over as i hit restart race lol
Well, those are minor mistakes, it happens to all of us. All you have to do is imagine where they enter the first corner and make a different line to avoid being knocked down and lowering or removing the commenter's volume. In addition, I can add that in several races the rivals have quite incomprehensible accidents doing wheelies alone as in this video you can see.

Oh dear.. After 2019 its hard to like 2020. What have they done??

I Like that you can damage the bike now.. Power/Fuel Settings is ok.. and After a crash longer respawn time and Start wheere the bike lands.. great!

But the physics with this damn f*** slippy rear wheel... wtf?

But I guess I can get Used to it.

But wtf happened to the AI??

I Played 2019 at 83% AI Level what was perfect for me. Starte at 75 and then step by step increased the Level. Fine!

In 2020 I started at 83. No Chance. Go lower to 80... to 78... to 75.. and.. I didnt notice a change? AI was fast as hell. And then I Made a test. I go down to 55%. And then I noticed what they have Made. I Played at Sachsenring. And Milestone just let the AI Brake earlier before cornering. But corner speed is just a fast as in 83 Level?!? This is so silly and makes it hard for Non-Pro Players to have a good Race.

I Play on PS4 Pro with the normal DS4 Controller.

I will wait for a patch otherwise I will go Back to MGP19.

2019 imo was such a solid Base and 2020 feels somehow like a Beta.

Somehow AI do not crash (at least very rarely). They can ride sometimes in 0,3 s intervals whole race and no overtakes. Drafting seems absent. AI skills interval seems quite narrow. Even in rain in Sachsenring, where I lowsided 3 times unexpectedly for myself, all AI finished, no crashing...

It is important to remind about AI, (I test MOTO2!) - LIVE SESSION results also are mathematically generated (when you accelerate time as well), so during qualify session I always quickly make setup and go out on track spending ~ 13.5 min there (from 15 min qualify - 1.5 min takes setup + going out). Even if my attempts are over, I just park\wait on the side of track, off racing line and wait.
Then approaching the end, I check that lap is valid and resume to ride a bit after when time is 0:00. So THESE ARE real results, and they are much more varied than this generated stuff - when, often, even DallaPorta can get a pole. Only Bezecchi seems too fast and consistent.

Oh my f*** god you are right!! I remember when the First f1 game from codemasters was released they had the same "system".. but this must be 10 years ago!!
Are the Milestone guys Think the Players are idiots??

I just made Q2 in Valencia.
3min before it was over I crashed so I went to the Box. When this happened I was in 1st place.
Then the message apperas that the mechanics have to repair the Bike and it takes 6min..so Q2 was over. And then I saw the Results. I was on 9th place with a gap to the Pole of 1 second.
I Double checked it with another Session and as you said.. as soon as you skip or accelerate time the Lap times of AI are generated and much faster then if they really drive theire Turns.
Furthermore you have less variations .
So for Q1 or Q2 not such a Big issue (beside the fact that it cant be so difficult for the developers to simulate it better) BUT Who wants to wait 45 min Real time until FP3 is over?? I wont and so it seems that always the same 13-14 riders qualify for Q2 as in MGP19.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 97 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 75 7.1%
  • < 5 years