MGP20 MotoGP 20 | Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The latest instalment to the long running MotoGP series of videogames is now available.

Releasing before the real world series managed to turn a wheel in anger, Milestone have today made available for purchase the new MotoGP '20 videogame on Xbox One, PS4, PC, Google Stadia and Nintendo Switch.

Featuring all the teams, riders, bikes and circuits of the 2020 MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 racing categories, MotoGP promises to be an upgrade in every way of previous editions of the franchise - from graphics to gameplay features, the new title very much represents an upgrade in performance for this popular officially licenced MotoGP product.

From the launch press release:

A GREATER GAMEPLAY DEPTH WITH THE NEW MANAGERIAL CAREER

The new Career Mode will put players into a pro riders’ boots, with an engaging and progressive gaming experience both on and off the track. Just like in the real MotoGP™ simply being fast on the circuit is not enough; players will need to take the best decisions to find a winning strategy to master the Championship.

Echoing real life, one of the key figures at the top of the team is the personal manager, whose work can truly make a difference when it comes to sponsorship and contract opportunities. If players select a new team, they will be able to make their rider and bike stand out using different graphic editors to modify the helmet, racing number, lower-back patch, stickers and bike livery. When it comes to being fast on track, it is the players’ choice of technical staff that influences the performance of the bike; the most skilled technicians will be able to develop bikes better and faster, but of course they will be much more expensive than others. How do you find the right balance between budget and performance? It’s up to players! On-track tests during the weekend will provide valuable data for development, but the synergy between the engineers will determine how much of this knowledge can be actually used to craft new parts. Each engineer will have different skills in different areas so teamwork will be key.

Taking part in the winter and mid-season tests enables players to develop their bike, choosing up to 3 different packs with various engines and frame combinations to find the perfect settings for the season. Once the season starts, players can also improve performances of different bike parts, earning and spending development points and allocating their R&D staff to reach the highest level. Aerodynamics, electronics, engine power and fuel consumption are just an example of the many technical parts that players can now manage to improve their bikes. For the first time, Milestone also announces brand-new features that will support the game after launch, that will further expand contents of the Managerial Career gameplay; more details about the post launch features will be revealed soon.

A STEP FORWARD IN SIMULATION

The development team worked really hard to make the gameplay much more strategic and realistic, with brand new features boosting realism such as fuel management, asymmetrical tires’ consumption and, last but not least, for the first time in franchise history, aerodynamic damages that will impact bike’s aesthetic and performances. As in real life, tires stress and wear don’t apply on both sides and middle equally. MotoGP™20 will implement these three areas separately and it will reproduce some real-world dynamics down to the smallest details. In each race players will be able to decide the quantity of fuel and which type of tire to use, always keeping in mind that bike physics are affected by their decisions. The overall level of simulation marks a big step forward in MotoGP™20; modern MotoGP™ bikes have very complex aerodynamic winglets that when damaged change the bikes’ balance significantly. Crashing or colliding with other riders in game, may have a permanent effect on bike handling just like in a real race. Continuously looking for extreme realism, the game physics has been completely re-worked to make gameplay more technical and skill based.

MotoGP 20 Launch 2.jpg

Many of the features that made the success of the previous chapter of the franchise, return this year with a lot of improvements as a result of the precious feedback that Milestone received from its passionate community:

• A renowned historical mode. One of the community’s favorite game modes will be back in a brand-new format, with full races randomly generated that players need to win to unlock and collect the most iconic riders and bikes.
  • Neural AI goes 2.0. What many thought was utopic, has become a reality. Last year A.N.N.A. (an acronym for Artificial Neural Network Agent) brought a more fast, natural and fair AI. This year Milestone developers further enhanced its capabilities, to allow her to strategically manage tire and fuel consumption, as real riders do.
  • New Editors. Together with Stickers, Helmets, Racing Numbers and Lower-back patches, in MotoGP™20 players will also be able to customize bikes’ liveries of their Custom Team, to race on track with a unique style.
  • The best online experience. Dedicated Servers for the Multiplayer mode have continued to enable a more reliable and fun online experience. Now we added quality of life improvements that will further enhance online gameplay in all modes: Public Matches, Private Matches and Race Director Mode.

MotoGP is available now on Xbox One, PS4, PC, Google Stadia and Nintendo Switch.

Want to know more about the game? Start a thread in the MotoGP 20 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with our awesome community.

MotoGP 20 Launch 1.jpg

I am always sorely disappointed with this type of game (but, i keep buying them in hope..), not the games themselves, but, "riding" a bike on a gamepad...? Is there a bike controller system for these games like there is wheel and pedals for car games, or can they at least use the accelerometer in the ps4 controller the way that GTSport does?

I am always sorely disappointed with this type of game (but, i keep buying them in hope..), not the games themselves, but, "riding" a bike on a gamepad...? Is there a bike controller system for these games like there is wheel and pedals for car games, or can they at least use the accelerometer in the ps4 controller the way that GTSport does?
No riding specific controller. Not yet. I had an idea at some point that a flight sim joystick could imitate leaning pretty well because airplanes also lean so it should feel comfortable for riding. Some joysticks can also rotate. This axis could be used for throttle control. Never practiced it though since i don't have one at the moment. Just and idea.

Yesterday I ended up trying MotoGP 17 with my physics/AI mod and I enjoyed like I never did in the last 2 years. Downsides? Yes, the graphics.

For me this game (motogp 20) was forgettable within the first 10 minutes of trying out the physics.. I persevered for an hour but to no avail I'm afraid. I was given the opportunity of 'game-sharing' to try it out by a friend.

One of the Esport finalists I know, who generally are not too bothered about simulation physics but want the 'simcade' experience to be exciting and challenging, having tested the beta version of this game is now of the mind not to purchase with his own money the 'finished' version. He simply does not want to play the game in its current 'physics' state. He, like I, is now waiting for Bike Sim Experience. The front end 'stoppies' were in motogp13. When league racing on that we had to learn to pull back on the stick and modulate the front brake on downhill braking. So nothing new there to speak of..

My feeling on this is that Milestone probably think they have created a masterpiece of blended special effects, innovations and 'simulation' physics which appeals to casual and serious racers alike. The reality for myself and a number of others is somewhat different however.

Everyone and their metaphorical dog seems to want to race on Pro ("sim") physics these days. And I think they've dumbed the Pro Physics down accordingly to suit.

If others are happy with the game then that's great but what is missing for me is a Pro Physics mode worthy of the name. Everyone to their own.

Just my personal opinion of course.

For me this game (motogp 20) was forgettable within the first 10 minutes of trying out the physics.. I persevered for an hour but to no avail I'm afraid. I was given the opportunity of 'game-sharing' to try it out by a friend.

One of the Esport finalists I know, who generally are not too bothered about simulation physics but want the 'simcade' experience to be exciting and challenging, having tested the beta version of this game is now of the mind not to purchase with his own money the 'finished' version. He simply does not want to play the game in its current 'physics' state. He, like I, is now waiting for Bike Sim Experience. The front end 'stoppies' were in motogp13. When league racing on that we had to learn to pull back on the stick and modulate the front brake on downhill braking. So nothing new there to speak of..

My feeling on this is that Milestone probably think they have created a masterpiece of blended special effects, innovations and 'simulation' physics which appeals to casual and serious racers alike. The reality for myself and a number of others is somewhat different however.

Everyone and their metaphorical dog seems to want to race on Pro ("sim") physics these days. And I think they've dumbed the Pro Physics down accordingly to suit.

If others are happy with the game then that's great but what is missing for me is a Pro Physics mode worthy of the name. Everyone to their own.

I agree. MotoGP20 - its Codemasters F1 on bike(for me), not RF2. Since I just started playing, it's a great experience for new players and I can say that it's hard to ride(all factory).

So each game has different goals and different audience. But I think the PRO mode will be changed because dev understands that there are quite a few people with experience.

Simulation mode in "assisted" almost eliminates the stoppie issue and to my experience it doesn't change anything else. Still, the stupid initial slide even when touching the throttle still exists and it kills all the fun. Also the stupid oversteer when going from lean to standing still exists. If these two issues get fixed it might just become a fun game.

It's best to mostly use the front brake...until it isn't. Moving from cars the big thing is to brake a lot earlier! You really need the real bikers like @Damage Inc and @girlracerTracey to explain it fully.

My way of thinking about it is to use the front brake initially and then apply both brakes smoothly to slow from high speed, then the front brake alone avoiding the temptation for a final jab of the brake lever which often causes a crash. If you need to trim the line through the corner a little (eg running wide) then some gentle application of the front brake can help (too much and you'll lowside). Equally, if your corner entry angle needs a little adjustment a dab of rear brake can bring the bike back in line.

I suggest starting with the Moto3 bikes as they are very forgiving, the MotoGP bikes are like wild horses by comparison. Also, the joint brake option is there too though the braking distances are generally longer and eventually you'll want to move to the individual brakes.

Real knowledge isn't that helpful in the game Mark!! it does sound like it's far too forgiving from the other comments. Milestone seem to be going backwards in that department. But I can't fault the advice you gave to Kevin.

To Kevin, fronts are mainly used because as you know weight is shifted forwards on all vehicles when they brake, it's easy to lock up the rear if heavy rear braking is used in reality as there's litle weight over the rear. I only ever used both brakes hard in emergency stops, apart from that the rear was only used mid corner as touching the front brakes mid corner makes a bike sit up and stop cornering (scary!!). Mind you quite often I only needed to use engine braking to slow my bike down and only used the actual brakes the last few yards (or if I felt I needed to show a following vehicle I was slowing down). I never managed to wheelie, but the rear can be used to control wheelies....have a look at footage of Max Biaggi almost flipping his bike celebrating, I think he forgot to use a bit of rear brake until the last second! here it is!

In short I don't think it actually matters that much in the game as it's too forgiving compared to reality. In previous games (Ride 1+2, VR46) I had fronts on trigger to modulate, and rear was on (360 pad) "A" so digital, rears never locked.

It's a shame really as braking and throttle control on a bike is so critical, way more than cars due to the tiny contact patch, and getting it wrong has worse repurcussions too. The skills the real riders have to brake so hard and not crash is utterly mind boggling.

Pro physics should mean pro physics, it's a shame MiSt have gone down this path.

In MotoGP17 using the rear brake produced a negative effect while braking hard. It increased stopping distance and unsettled the rear so much that could cause a fall. Using only front brakes and engine braking slowed the bike much faster. I believe that's quite realistic.

In MotoGP20, according to my testing, using the rear brake reduces stopping distance AND produces a positive effect on corner entry. Not that you need it though because as soon as your off the gas the rear starts to slide to the point that the bike rotates towards the curve. It doesn't tighten the trajectory, it literally rotates the bike like it's drifting. It almost reminds be of TTIOM 1 oversteer nonsense.

I can't speak for motogp19 as 17 was my last version of the series, but anyone who thinks the physics have been toned down needs to go and ride The Cagiva 500 on real settings with 0 aids. Anything above 50% in the first 3 gears is wheelie -loop-hospital material. It is fantastically cartoonish and daft. I started using the rear brake to get past the first 3 gears while getting on the throttle and that seems to work. But the front brake stoppie action is over the top. Have to say it is a blast for me...your mileage may vary.

I can't speak for motogp19 as 17 was my last version of the series, but anyone who thinks the physics have been toned down needs to go and ride The Cagiva 500 on real settings with 0 aids. Anything above 50% in the first 3 gears is wheelie -loop-hospital material. It is fantastically cartoonish and daft. I started using the rear brake to get past the first 3 gears while getting on the throttle and that seems to work. But the front brake stoppie action is over the top. Have to say it is a blast for me...your mileage may vary.
And because a bike can wheelie in 3 gear...the game has good physics? OK....

Been looking around a bit. Did I completely misunderstand the press releases? I was under the impression that you would be able to make your own team again, and have a Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP team like in one of the older games. But it's just signing up as a lone driver for new fantasy team or something like that?

I find that MotoGP 19 was significantly more challenging than Ride 3. In the sense that there were far more variables and logic when it came to how the bike handled. Going back to Ride 3 made me realize how much you could get away with in that game. That being said, MotoGP 19 is my favorite moto game, other than Supercross 3. I have yet to play '20 though, but it seems to be pretty solid.

I'm with you.... MotoGP 19 and Monster SX3 are the best they've offered IMHO!

If I like the game, there are a few things to improve, like the external camera view, the rear wheel cuts off at the edge of the screen when braking, you can't abort a race weekend and if you have the best free time 1 cannot go directly to Q2 previously in MotoGP19 was possible. Here's a good lap 1 on cold tires. Times would really be too fast in this game
TC Custom Rider.jpg

if you are right if you analyze it too well it is horrible maybe the physics of the motogp19 is better for me, in this MotoGP20 the only notable thing is the front brake, an entrance in the corner and an exaggerated front grip I also hope Bike Sim but I am satisfied since it is a new experience or a new challenge, it seems good to me in these times of virus crisis:)Criticizing is too easy, so I'm not going to dig into it. Because how long have we been waiting for Bike Sim Experience a lifetime maybe ...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 386 39.8%