MGP20 MotoGP 20 | Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The latest instalment to the long running MotoGP series of videogames is now available.

Releasing before the real world series managed to turn a wheel in anger, Milestone have today made available for purchase the new MotoGP '20 videogame on Xbox One, PS4, PC, Google Stadia and Nintendo Switch.

Featuring all the teams, riders, bikes and circuits of the 2020 MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 racing categories, MotoGP promises to be an upgrade in every way of previous editions of the franchise - from graphics to gameplay features, the new title very much represents an upgrade in performance for this popular officially licenced MotoGP product.

From the launch press release:

A GREATER GAMEPLAY DEPTH WITH THE NEW MANAGERIAL CAREER

The new Career Mode will put players into a pro riders’ boots, with an engaging and progressive gaming experience both on and off the track. Just like in the real MotoGP™ simply being fast on the circuit is not enough; players will need to take the best decisions to find a winning strategy to master the Championship.

Echoing real life, one of the key figures at the top of the team is the personal manager, whose work can truly make a difference when it comes to sponsorship and contract opportunities. If players select a new team, they will be able to make their rider and bike stand out using different graphic editors to modify the helmet, racing number, lower-back patch, stickers and bike livery. When it comes to being fast on track, it is the players’ choice of technical staff that influences the performance of the bike; the most skilled technicians will be able to develop bikes better and faster, but of course they will be much more expensive than others. How do you find the right balance between budget and performance? It’s up to players! On-track tests during the weekend will provide valuable data for development, but the synergy between the engineers will determine how much of this knowledge can be actually used to craft new parts. Each engineer will have different skills in different areas so teamwork will be key.

Taking part in the winter and mid-season tests enables players to develop their bike, choosing up to 3 different packs with various engines and frame combinations to find the perfect settings for the season. Once the season starts, players can also improve performances of different bike parts, earning and spending development points and allocating their R&D staff to reach the highest level. Aerodynamics, electronics, engine power and fuel consumption are just an example of the many technical parts that players can now manage to improve their bikes. For the first time, Milestone also announces brand-new features that will support the game after launch, that will further expand contents of the Managerial Career gameplay; more details about the post launch features will be revealed soon.

A STEP FORWARD IN SIMULATION

The development team worked really hard to make the gameplay much more strategic and realistic, with brand new features boosting realism such as fuel management, asymmetrical tires’ consumption and, last but not least, for the first time in franchise history, aerodynamic damages that will impact bike’s aesthetic and performances. As in real life, tires stress and wear don’t apply on both sides and middle equally. MotoGP™20 will implement these three areas separately and it will reproduce some real-world dynamics down to the smallest details. In each race players will be able to decide the quantity of fuel and which type of tire to use, always keeping in mind that bike physics are affected by their decisions. The overall level of simulation marks a big step forward in MotoGP™20; modern MotoGP™ bikes have very complex aerodynamic winglets that when damaged change the bikes’ balance significantly. Crashing or colliding with other riders in game, may have a permanent effect on bike handling just like in a real race. Continuously looking for extreme realism, the game physics has been completely re-worked to make gameplay more technical and skill based.

MotoGP 20 Launch 2.jpg

Many of the features that made the success of the previous chapter of the franchise, return this year with a lot of improvements as a result of the precious feedback that Milestone received from its passionate community:

• A renowned historical mode. One of the community’s favorite game modes will be back in a brand-new format, with full races randomly generated that players need to win to unlock and collect the most iconic riders and bikes.
  • Neural AI goes 2.0. What many thought was utopic, has become a reality. Last year A.N.N.A. (an acronym for Artificial Neural Network Agent) brought a more fast, natural and fair AI. This year Milestone developers further enhanced its capabilities, to allow her to strategically manage tire and fuel consumption, as real riders do.
  • New Editors. Together with Stickers, Helmets, Racing Numbers and Lower-back patches, in MotoGP™20 players will also be able to customize bikes’ liveries of their Custom Team, to race on track with a unique style.
  • The best online experience. Dedicated Servers for the Multiplayer mode have continued to enable a more reliable and fun online experience. Now we added quality of life improvements that will further enhance online gameplay in all modes: Public Matches, Private Matches and Race Director Mode.

MotoGP is available now on Xbox One, PS4, PC, Google Stadia and Nintendo Switch.

Want to know more about the game? Start a thread in the MotoGP 20 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with our awesome community.

MotoGP 20 Launch 1.jpg

After a quick hour of hotlapping this morning, I'm impressed with MotoGp 20, especially the new braking which requires some real finesse. It's no longer a case of just mashing the triggers or buttons but requires some careful brake management. At the same time with the Pro physics, the line can be carefully trimmed using the individual brakes. I found the joint brakes actually harder to use in the 20 games as the player has fewer control options. I say all this as a long time, on and off, MotoGP series and bike game player but I can't speak to any real-world bike realism as I'm not a biker (other than mountain and exercise varieties!). Played back to back with 19 the latest 20 bikes really move around a lot more and it seems more difficult to lap quickly and yet at the same time it is more obvious what mistake I'm making - last-second panic jabs of the brake are no longer an option. The same is true of the throttle which needs to be carefully applied, especially with the TC lowered.

Giving 19 a run last night and 20 a run today, coming mostly from car racing games, the biggest challenge for me was the braking distances which are huge. There is no option but carefully judged braking and corner entry speed to get anywhere near decent lap times.

The progression from Moto3 to Moto2 to MotoGP feels great, the Moto3 bikes are easy to ride, Moto2 become a lot more challenging with more of the same moving around on the power as the MotoGP bikes. The MotoGP bikes themselves are a real challenge - keeping the back wheel on the ground when braking and applying the throttle carefully to avoid squirming across the track at all sorts of angles for example.

20 really looks and sounds fabulous to me, a big improvement over 19. I'm looking forward to trying out the new management mode which sounds great to me and will update when I do.

If anyone plays 20 and happens to notice all the apexes I've missed I'd be grateful if you could scoop them up for me, thanks. ;)

Game feels amazing! Motogp 19 was amazing but 20 is vene a better step forward!

The only problem I am facing now is that I am used to play with no visor mod which someone did it for the motogp 19 and uploaded it on the RD :(

Any chances this mod will be updated? :)

How is it compared to Ride3 ? .. that was also milestone wasn't it? although the actual studio that made it could be different developer. Making a good bike racing game is hard, much harder then cars imo, because you just can't easily do the body transfer control easily

How is it compared to Ride3 ? .. that was also milestone wasn't it? although the actual studio that made it could be different developer. Making a good bike racing game is hard, much harder then cars imo, because you just can't easily do the body transfer control easily

Ride 3 is more like an arcade game, motogp is more a simulation than arcade game. For me the greatest improvement is that you need to control braking, otherwise you will fall on your helmet pretty fast.

I find that MotoGP 19 was significantly more challenging than Ride 3. In the sense that there were far more variables and logic when it came to how the bike handled. Going back to Ride 3 made me realize how much you could get away with in that game. That being said, MotoGP 19 is my favorite moto game, other than Supercross 3. I have yet to play '20 though, but it seems to be pretty solid.

Oooh, so Career Mode is good, perhaps not surprisingly a lot like the latest F1 games. You chose a manager who gets you contracts, you join a team and can manage the staff, select the bike upgrades in engine and chassis (only these in Moto3).

Just like F1 there are some development lap tests to run in the practice sessions - fast laps, race simulations and a 'how close can you stay to the racing line test' all related to your chosen difficulty.

There is some jankiness - some of the descriptions for the tests seems a bit Ita-Eng lost in translation eg "This type of test allows engineers to understand the Bend distance" - which doesn't make much sense to me. I already have 2 staff members who look identical with different names. Some other small things like the way the TC etc work could be explained better (is it 0-4 or 4-0 etc). Launching the game in Steam also starts my Oculus Rift for some strange reason, if only the game was in VR, that would be something.

None of that really matters though because the tests are ok, the new inner, middle,, outer tyre wear indicator looks like it will be both useful and add some extra strategy to the game. Equally the fuel use and management - very much like F1 - adds a good new element to the career mode.

I do wish these games could be built with a bit more humour in them though. It would be great if my engineer was able to give me feedback after each session, he should be saying to my 16-year-old in-game mini-me. "Mark, please, for the 99th time stop riding the bike like you are driving a car, brake earlier, hold a consistent line and power through. If you could do even 2 consist laps I might be able to help you...!"

It's enjoyable to play, I'd certainly recommend giving it a go if you like the sound of the improve braking want a bike game with some longevity in career mode too.

Hi guys,

just a question. I am not a motogp fan or a bike fan at all. I know some driver names, i know the brands thats it.

But sometimes when i am too tired to sim-race i like to chill with a xbox contoller in my hands and play some forzas or dirt rally games... so i thing this one could be interresting for me ? It seems too be fun driving wise ? I also appreciate a proper career mode....

Hi guys,

just a question. I am not a motogp fan or a bike fan at all. I know some driver names, i know the brands thats it.

But sometimes when i am too tired to sim-race i like to chill with a xbox contoller in my hands and play some forzas or dirt rally games... so i thing this one could be interresting for me ? It seems too be fun driving wise ? I also appreciate a proper career mode....

It's challenging and career mode is rich. It is up to you but since motogp 19 I would recommend anyone to play it :)

I won't buy another one right after the great 2019, but is Kymi Ring coming to Raceroom perhaps?

Hi guys,

MotoGP is not exactly casual, Ride 3 is much less demanding and still good-looking and fun.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 168 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 452 39.2%