MGP18 MotoGP 18 Confirmed for June Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
MotoGP 18 1.jpg MotoGP 18 2.jpg MotoGP 18 3.jpg MotoGP 18 4.jpg MotoGP 18 5.jpg MotoGP 18 6.jpg
Milestone Games have confirmed the next MotoGP title will release on the 7th June - promising a "complete reboot of the series".

Utilising the increasingly popular and somewhat spectacular Unreal 4 engine, MotoGP 18 is set to become the most ambitious and impressive official MotoGP racing game to date when it launches on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC later this year.

Using the powerful Unreal Engine 4 for the very first time, MotoGP 18 will also benefit from laserscanned circuits and looks set to be "re-designed and rebuilt up from the very basics", marking a very serious statement of intent from the development team behind this long running officially licenced franchise of bike racing games.

According to Lead Designer, Matteo Pezzotti, the upcoming new title has received plenty of love and attention over the last few months as Milestone look to break new ground with MotoGP 18:

“It will simply be the greatest and purest MotoGP™ experience for all the fans. This title marks the arrival of the series on the Unreal Engine, a leap forward in terms of technological innovation, ensuring enhancements in the visual quality, realistic and impressive lighting effects and completely reworked physics: the game faithfully reproduces all the distinctive behavior of the bikes, thereby reducing the gap between fiction and reality, while making it accessible also to casual gamers through the introduction of interactive riding aids and tutorials. More details about the technological features will be unveiled soon, but with all these new advancements our goal is to offer our fans the most realistic and immersive MotoGP™ experience.”
Initially releasing on PC, Xbox and PlayStation this June 7th, MotoGP 18 will also arrive on the Nintendo Switch platform at a as yet unspecified date later in the year, making the most of the flexibility of the Unreal 4 engine and cross platform development experience acquired during the design and build phase of the recent Supercross: The Game title.

MotoGP 18 Game Modes

Career

Start as a rookie and climb up the ladder from Red Bull MotoGP™ Rookies Cup to MotoGP™.

Single Race
Immerse yourself in a real MotoGP™ race within seconds.

Championship
Create your own competition. Choose your favorite category, rider, tracks, number of races and laps.

Time Attack
Learn each track like the back of your hand and compete against yourself to beat your best time. Download other players ghosts see if you can beat them.

Tutorial
Learn every techniques, from the very basics to the most advanced, and reach the top spot of the podium.

MotoGP 18 Multiplayer Modes

Championship

Make your own championship with your own rules, and challenge other players.

Single Race
Who’s best? Challenge others in a quick race.

MotoGP™ eSport Championship
More info coming soon.

MotoGP 18 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC this June 7th, with Nintendo Switch release to follow later in the year.

Check out the MotoGP 18 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the official videogame of the MotoGP bike racing series.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to MotoGP 18? Do you think this new title could be a step up in quality over previous MotoGP licenced games? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Hm, benefit from laserscanning, re-design and rebuilt - not sure what I should think about it tbh.
There are only two possibilities, first we got finally new tracks and then for sure best MGP till today or they will recycle for the 5th time in a row the locations.
Okay, the UE4 engine made Supercross to a decent lookin' game and yes if the game will feature good sounds, better AI and new tracks we'll have a game that everyone has been waiting for!
Let's wait for the first gameplay videos. :)

I hope they look at MotoGP 08 and how fun it was, and how great the bikes behaved (back then at least). I tested some MotoGP years later and it wasnt even close how good MotoGP 08 was - only graphics was better.

Come on devs. Most important factor is how the driving experience is. After that if you put a good career/good racing VS good AI its bob's yer uncle and the cash start flowing in.

No manager mode... This was for me the best mode in this game. Unreal is cool thing, but it should be connected with good manager mode. I'm afraid that they will add it back in next versions as "new one" :D

The press release reads like a dream - UE4, laser scanned tracks & rebuilt from the ground up. Milestone have a history of talking big and failing to deliver. Ride 2 was decent as was VR46 however SBK 2001 is still the benchmark release from Milestone.

My question to Milestone are:

GP500 was tested by Kenny Roberts Jnr and provided the best physics to date in a bike sim. Who tested the physics of MotoGP 18?

Post release support of Milestone games has been average at best; has QA improved and will post release support consist of more than one patch before the game is forgotten?

Does the game still use the antiquated game launcher or does it function like a modern release and launch straight from Steam?

Will multiplayer work at launch?

My biggest concern is the AI. Previous motogp games were unplayable for that.
Laserscanning, as I said, it's a nice surprise, maybe it's even too much for pad-played game.
The content has been very very good in previous games, the career was nice.

My other concern is the modding. I modded motogp since 2014, will be still possible with the UE4?
I don't think so.

1) People stop talking about laser scanning. It's drone scanning, which is different. The data should still be nicely detailed.

2) The problem is what you do with that data. It's not like you scan a track and then you have a 1:1 3D model.. You have to use the points-cloud data and make a 3d model from it.

Let's wait for the footage

GP500 was tested by Kenny Roberts Jnr and provided the best physics to date in a bike sim. Who tested the physics of MotoGP 18?

Also by a then very young Valention Rossi and a guy by the name of Simon Crafer.. According to what my father told me.. Also Dunlop tyre technicians provided expert input to the tyre physics and modelling.

Modern day Milestone sadly cannot (so far) even manage to provide a working tyre grip / tyre wear algorithm..

gp500 was/is all about gauging tyre adhesion and managing tyre wear. So too should be motogp18.. That's the core requirement of a racing game isn't it? ;)

Also what we really need imo is a higher level "Simulation" physics mode in the game. Dyego needs a summer holiday this year.. ;)

What can we know from Milestone's answers for users' questions?
-No manager mode
-No track editor (like in last Supercross game)
-No personal sponsors (just only team offers)

Probably it will be career mode like in MotoGP'14 which was very poor. What a shame, because it would get bored after a few seasons....
Well, there is a chance that bike development will be SBK2011 copy, where every manufacturer was developing its bike through the seasons.
My dream is to have drivers' market (like in FIFA, NBA, PES), but... it's just a dream, it's a pity! :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 347 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%