MOTION actuator choice: D-BOX / PT-ACTUATOR / SFX-100

ok I am looking into spending $5k in a motion system. I am looking at SFX100, pt-actutor but also a used gen1 d-box

I like the pt-actuator as I am not into building my own system but lately some companies do offer complte kits.

on the other hand i can get a d-box gen1 4450i for the same price. less actuator stroke, used but I have the vibration system build in, so I don't have to worry about the whole bass shacker setup for tactile feedback. also d-box software is not a hack into game telemtry but something more official hopefully easier to setup.

I am curious to hear your feedback on which system is best for the cost.

one thing I am curious about is the push-only vs push/pull of some actuator. I have a hard time thinkign I need the push pull for a 4 actuator system but I see barry from sim racing garage upgraded his gen2 d-box to a gen3 d-box which now offer push/pull actutors...

my rig is a base simlab P1X.

I am playing at night so I need it to be as quiet as possible, and also compact as I have limited space ;) I know the d-box sounds like a winner to me ... tell me what you think !

I am putting a picture of my old rig here for fun.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 1.00.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 1.00.12 PM.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
My buddy had to disable the vibration effects 15 mins after using his brand new D-Box. His neighbour threatened to call the police because she was worried that her ceiling was going to fall on to her!!!! He switched vibration back to the bass shakers.

Upvote 0
My buddy had to disable the vibration effects 15 mins after using his brand new D-Box. His neighbour threatened to call the police because she was worried that her ceiling was going to fall on to her!!!! He switched vibration back to the bass shakers.

I was testing some vibration loops on a single 150mm actuator, placed on my workbench in the garage... and my wife came running yelling what I was doing to shake the whole house like that!!! True story!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope you did not misunderstand?

I meant "actuator provided" tactile vibrations!

AS for standard tactile, just today I'm installing a LFE to seat, 6 exciters, and testing my new NX3000D amp, and the smaller 4 channel Ber. amp

Yes, I did misunderstand.

So it seems the consensus is that you "can" get tactile out of actuators, but many have decided it is either disruptive to neighbors and family or that they don't want the additional wear and tear on the actuators.

I'm am seeing that when transducers are dedicated to a specific task or a small number of tasks that they seem to perform better. When they are handling too many effects they get blurred or one effect dominates the others.

I would think that would hold true with actuators as well.

Trying to get a clean rpm signal coming through 4 corner actuators would seem to be challenging. A bump or rumble strip, absolutely, but some things really don't lend themselves to actuator support.

I feel a clean engine revving and lumpy idle from one $50 transducer. That isn't expensive or hard to set up. Now that SimHub has a dynamic rpm effect, getting the rev is very easy. I add a second rpm effect for the initial engine startup and idle that disappears completely past 2,000 rpm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally would never use vibration effects with ballnut / spindle type actuators due to the possibility of excessive/ accelerated wear.
D-Box owners claiming to be able to use their consumer "I" spec motion platform for years without issues is one thing I found really attractive.

However a key difference between D-Box's regular "I" and Heavy-Duty "HD" actuators is that D-Box's HD actuators use a double nut ball screw for higher durability. D-Box rates their HD actuators at a Mean Time Between Failures of 8 hours of intense motion codes every day for 8 years, based on approx 60% of maximum weight capacity.

Upvote 0
D-Box owners claiming to be able to use their consumer "I" spec motion platform for years without issues is one thing I found really attractive.

However a key difference between D-Box's regular "I" and Heavy-Duty "HD" actuators is that D-Box's HD actuators use a double nut ball screw for higher durability. D-Box rates their HD actuators at a Mean Time Between Failures of 8 hours of intense motion codes every day for 8 years, based on approx 60% of maximum weight capacity.

Interesting... do they also automatically calculate when you need oil change?

Upvote 0
One thing that makes it academic for me is that it's not the best way to do it. In a commercial setting it probably a great thing have that extra functionality but even if I had a dbox I know I would get better with transducers in a few other places.

Upvote 0
You can use buttkickers with other software and also a d-box system without issues? the extra shaking of buttkickers etc will no give problems ? im going to use buttkickers with simvibe and thinking about to get a d-box system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can use buttkickers with other software and also a d-box system without issues? the extra shaking of buttkickers etc will no give problems ? im going to use buttkickers with simvibe and thinking about to get a d-box system.

I thought d-box already had super duper high tech exclusive vibration (canned btw) and there is no reason to add buttkickers...

Upvote 0
yeah i like to test soon the new generation 3 dbox 1,5inch. i have no idea if it will blow my mind compared with the buttkickers shaking i now have, of course it will blow my mind, ...but i think basshakers have other kind of rumble/shaking.

Upvote 0
yeah i like to test soon the new generation 3 dbox 1,5inch. i have no idea if it will blow my mind compared with the buttkickers shaking i now have, of course it will blow my mind, ...but i think basshakers have other kind of rumble/shaking.

Yeah, make sure to enable the vibration permanently... we would like to hear feedback, how long it will endure ;)

Upvote 0
haha what do you mean? i thought d-box are solid motors, or is it something else you mean.
mostly i drive 2 hours sessions max....i hope it will last long IF im going to buy d-box.

(i think you gave some sarcasme :))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back