Motec R8 set up

So I have been using motec to try and set the R8 up, but I'm having a few issues. I usually do it by feel and watching replays. The different methods get different results as you might expect.

But, when using motec I always end up with a stiff car using really high spring rates and very high damper setting on slow bump and rebound. This can't be right surely? Why would I need maximum springs and dampers on the rear axle all the time?

The car feels very stable during corners but oversteers a bit on throttle corner exit. And doesn't particularly enjoy trail braking that much. Anyone have this issue? Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Cheers

To fix the oversteer during trail braking I'm used to lower the front bumpstop height to 0 and the stiffness to 1000N from the aggressive preset. Looking at the Motec the Audi then runs on the front bumpstops 99% of the time: I don't know if it makes sense, but the car feels easier to drive and I can even rise the rear ride height to have better mid-corner rotation.
Working on the spring stiffness and dampers is a way I tried many times with more cons than pro.

Last edited:
Ah ok, I was using 0 on the range up front but the car didn't seem to roll enough into corners. I'm going to play more. I have been using 25 and lower on the rear to try and stop the epic understeer on throttle. Maybe you get this too?? I can make the car understeer and oversteer but I can't get the thing in a good window.
I agree on the spring's/dampers, motec is causing me more problems than it solves.
174000 front 183000 rear seems best springs in my opinion, that's all I know haha

For me stiff set-up drives better but graze a curb and it' wants to spin me off. Thanks for your input, every little is helping me right now.

The Audi tends to benefit from a stiff rear. It's my joint favorite car to drive and have a lot of hours in it.
You need to use the whole car to your advantage. Its a small nippy bastard and its strengths are in direction change and mid corner rotation. Its also excellent on the brakes.
Get the BB a little to the rear versus stock, rear springs and ARB go a little higher. Rear wing 4 or 5 in most cases. Balance aero by use of ride height, balance turn in snap oversteer by lower front bumpstop, higher preload diff, lower ride height on rear, or increase camber/toe at rear.
The R8 got nerfed a bit in the latest update on 2020 tracks at least, but can still deliver spectacular results if it suits your driving style. It is VERY unforgiving to sloppy driving (as I am sure you have found out). But this all makes it a very fun and engaging car to drive.

The Audi tends to benefit from a stiff rear. It's my joint favorite car to drive and have a lot of hours in it.
You need to use the whole car to your advantage. Its a small nippy bastard and its strengths are in direction change and mid corner rotation. Its also excellent on the brakes.
Get the BB a little to the rear versus stock, rear springs and ARB go a little higher. Rear wing 4 or 5 in most cases. Balance aero by use of ride height, balance turn in snap oversteer by lower front bumpstop, higher preload diff, lower ride height on rear, or increase camber/toe at rear.
The R8 got nerfed a bit in the latest update on 2020 tracks at least, but can still deliver spectacular results if it suits your driving style. It is VERY unforgiving to sloppy driving (as I am sure you have found out). But this all makes it a very fun and engaging car to drive.

This is some brilliant information so thanks for all that. And yea it is very unforgiving, I have had plenty of big moments in it. I'm many hours into tuning the thing on various tracks and here's my big issue. I'll be trying some of the things you said. What I'm getting at is everywhere I try and tune the dampers it seems to want real high rear numbers. On the front 16 bump 24 rebound ( give or take) seems good according to motec, but the rear I'm up at 34 bump and rebound is around that too. I also run it nearly on the bumpstops up back to try and stop the car pitching back lifting the front. Man I'm having some troubles with the rear of this car haha

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 285 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%