More rF2 Formula E Previews Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E Preview 3.jpg

Check out the latest batch of preview images for the upcoming Formula E rFactor 2 DLC...

News that Studio 397 intend to release an officially licenced Formula E DLC for rFactor 2 next week was met with plenty of fiery comments from the sim racing community recently, with many a mixed opinion of the series venturing its way though the forum here at RaceDepartment in the last few hours.

Regardless of your opinion of the controversial electric FIA series it has been widely accepted as positive new of S397's acquisition of such a sort after official licence, and following our brief interview and reveal article released Wednesday night the developers have tricked out a few more images from the new car pack and Hong Kong street circuit, showing a very impressive attention to detail and really giving a great example as to how far the rFactor 2 racing simulation has grown graphically in the past few months under Studio 397's leadership.

So without further ado, check out these new preview images from the upcoming Formula E DLC for rFactor 2, due to land as early as next week...

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

rF2 Formula E Preview 1.jpg
rF2 Formula E Preview 2.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

rF 2 Formula E Preview 4.png rF2 Formula E Preview 5.jpg rF2 Formula E Preview 6.jpg rF2 Formula E Preview 7.jpg

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to trying these cars and track in rF2 soon? Let us know your thoughts below!

Last edited:
Again, I'm really looking forward to trying it. As someone who has an interest in electric vehicles and their potential future on the planet and off it, i think its cool. I know people may disagree but we are all entitled to opinions. I don't mind the racing in FE, its not Nascar, Indycar or lower tier open wheeler levels of excitement (Which i like the most) but its cool. I'm not someone who's too bothered by the sound or lack of it. I appreciate what the V12, V10 and V8's done for people but i'm not too bothered they are gone. FE cars sound like the future which they are. whether people like it or not Electric cars are the future. I'm not sure Electric motorsport will become the norm but in 30-40 years the majority of cars will be electric.

Formula E cars last year in pre-season testing we're faster than GT3 cars and only 1 second off F3 cars around Donington. And they've come on leaps and bounds since then. While they're not F1 levels they're certainly not slow. They also accelerate quicker than most road cars.
View attachment 223935

As with any series, these famous corners come in time - Becketts didn't exist as we know it today in the first few decades of F1, and Eau Rouge has been heavily edited over the years. These famous venues and races take time to happen.

A formula car being a similar pace to a GT car and a F3 car certainly doesn't qualify as "quick", especially with the level of driver in the series.It's also made even worse by the fact they do accelerate quickly, but run out of speed comparatively.

Formula E is no where even close to having a famous venue or corner, as the tracks are forced to be street circuit spaghetti. Once they can race on proper tracks - even a proper street circuit - they might have something, but right now no one will remember these tracks in 15 years.

A formula car being a similar pace to a GT car and a F3 car certainly doesn't qualify as "quick", especially with the level of driver in the series.It's also made even worse by the fact they do accelerate quickly, but run out of speed comparatively.

Formula E is no where even close to having a famous venue or corner, as the tracks are forced to be street circuit spaghetti. Once they can race on proper tracks - even a proper street circuit - they might have something, but right now no one will remember these tracks in 15 years.
While I agree that Formula E cars are not fast, I think saying that a F3 car or GT3 car aren't quick is wrong - a F3 would beat the majority of cars around a circuit, as would a GT3. Formula E is young though, give it time - they have already progressed leaps and bounds since Season 1:
And please define a proper street circuit - aside from New York, Berlin and Mexico City all circuits in the last full year were on public streets, and some very good circuits indeed. The likes of Monaco, Long Beach and Adelaide are so loved because of their history - Formula E doesn't yet have any. Monaco in particular is a terrible track for racing, and if brought into the calendar now would be shunted away very quickly.

Its a bit like in the early days of Grand Prix racing, the Targa Florio was the only event that was run each year, like Berlin is the only city in Formula E to be run across all 3 completed seasons. The calendar will take years before solid formations are built, and a calendar like we see in modern F1 where season favourites like Spa, Silverstone, Monza are in place.

Formula E simply concentrates on different values than a lot of us are used to - racing in a city, futuristic tech, affordable international racing, different sound, close Formula racing. It is only because Formula E isn't the norm that people complain. Formula E sure has its quirks but for what it is, it is very good.

I seem to be the only person who, upon learning of Formula E and watching the races (even attending one - had a blast), put the series on its own category and did not attempt to compare it on any way with traditional motorsport, because from the word go there was absolutely no way it was going to be exactly like the motorsport we are used to. It's its own thing, and I quite like it. And if the DLC is fairly priced (I'll elaborate on that) I'll buy it as soon as it's out.

While I was writing, @pjlee1998 summarized my thoughts even better than I did:
Formula E simply concentrates on different values than a lot of us are used to - racing in a city, futuristic tech, affordable international racing, different sound, close Formula racing. It is only because Formula E isn't the norm that people complain. Formula E sure has its quirks but for what it is, it is very good.
This. A hundred times this.

And by fairly priced I'd say in the range of 4 to 6 bucks. The GT3 cars were (IMO) very expensive considering they are facing competition from other sims. Maybe this could be a bit higher since it's a bit unique (at least on PC, only Forza had official FE until now), but more than 6 would be a no or wait for sales (if there are, because right now they are not).

View attachment 223911
Check out the latest batch of preview images for the upcoming Formula E rFactor 2 DLC...

News that Studio 397 intend to release an officially licenced Formula E DLC for rFactor 2 next week was met with plenty of fiery comments from the sim racing community recently, with many a mixed opinion of the series venturing its way though the forum here at RaceDepartment in the last few hours.

Regardless of your opinion of the controversial electric FIA series it has been widely accepted as positive new of S397's acquisition of such a sort after official licence, and following our brief interview and reveal article released Wednesday night the developers have tricked out a few more images from the new car pack and Hong Kong street circuit, showing a very impressive attention to detail and really giving a great example as to how far the rFactor 2 racing simulation has grown graphically in the past few months under Studio 397's leadership.

So without further ado, check out these new preview images from the upcoming Formula E DLC for rFactor 2, due to land as early as next week...

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

View attachment 223908 View attachment 223910

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

View attachment 223909 View attachment 223912 View attachment 223913 View attachment 223914

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to trying these cars and track in rF2 soon? Let us know your thoughts below!
I don't mean to spoil this, but the all the photos of this mod are photoshopped in, Take a closer look at the cars, their are "FLOATING"..It's fake, sorry but that's my opinion. And also the cars won't be fully paint-able because of locking over-writing .MAS files. Sorry s397 but I won't be going down that road again especially after be banned for speaking my mind about locked .mas files, which alienates the modding/painting community.. Despite my open letter which they got, there following my advice anyways, making skin packs for the GT3 DLC which was "never announced' until just a few days ago as a X-mas contest forcing the painters to get the own permissions for decals instead of forcing the car makers to get their own commissioned decals packs. Already seen custom decals calling some GT3 cars death traps, beer cups, as I predicated.

Cheers :)

I don't mean to spoil this, but the all the photos of this mod are photoshopped in, Take a closer look at the cars, their are "FLOATING"..It's fake, sorry but that's my opinion. And also the cars won't be fully paint-able because of locking over-writing .MAS files. Sorry s397 but I won't be going down that road again especially after be banned for speaking my mind about locked .mas files, which alienates the modding/painting community.. Despite my open letter which they got, there following my advice anyways, making skin packs for the GT3 DLC which was "never announced' until just a few days ago as a X-mas contest forcing the painters to get the own permissions for decals instead of forcing the car makers to get their own commissioned decals packs. Already seen custom decals calling some GT3 cars death traps, beer cups, as I predicated.

The Formula Renault cars have locked .mas files. as do the DW12's but you can still paint them?

This however is most likely due to a shadow LOD that has not been distance rendered.
rf2-formula-e-preview-2-jpg.223910

To be honest you look close enough at most sims and the cars float, mostly on replay.

Last edited:
This however is most likely due to a shadow LOD that has not been distance rendered.
rf2-formula-e-preview-2-jpg.223910

To be honest you look close enough at most sims and the cars float, mostly on replay.
The DW12 can be painted but at least the "EXTRA .mas files don't over write your work not like the GT3 pack which does. The cars don't float, never seen that ever in rfactor. For example, the GT pack .mas files are loaded in the folder, like this v1.16 and v 1.17, v1.17 being the unlocked .mas file, limited of course no window templates for most cars and v.1.16 being the locked .mas file which overwrites your paint job, not entirely but windows and some aspects of the paint job such as chrome effects, which was corrected recently on the Mercedes but the radical still has unwanted shadow shaders which overwrite your paint job cutting headlights in half with shadwos running the full length of the cars down the sides.

Last edited:
The DW12 can be painted but at least the "EXTRA .mas files don't over write your work not like the GT3 pack which does. The cars don't float, never seen that ever in rfactor. For example, the GT pack .mas files are loaded in the folder, like this v1.16 and v 1.17, v1.17 being the unlocked .mas file, limited of course no window templates for most cars and v.1.16 being the locked .mas file which overwrites your paint job, not entirely but windows and some aspects of the paint job such as chrome effects, which was corrected recently on the Mercedes but the radical still has unwanted shadow shaders which overwrite your paint job cutting headlights in half with shadwos running the full length of the cars down the sides.

Ok fair enough, i get what you mean with the skinning now. wasn't on the same page before.

I think formula E design should look "out of this world" or at least significantly different than current open wheeler to attract more younger generation race spectators.. something that immediately spells "electric". Maybe like these:

Attachments

• air-f1-concept-car-by-floren-loizaga7.jpg
    air-f1-concept-car-by-floren-loizaga7.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 245
  • Robocar_Roborace2_DanielSimon_slider960.jpg
    Robocar_Roborace2_DanielSimon_slider960.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 235
I think formula E design should look "out of this world" or at least significantly different than current open wheeler to attract more younger generation race spectators.. something that immediately spells "electric". Maybe like these:
Those are 3dMax pictures, fair enough. The race track pictures are Photoshopped, sad as it seems, but not unexpected given the track record so far..before you respond I will "agree to disagree with you".

Wow that first design is cool, reminds a bit of the cars from Speed Racer (2008). For how outlandishly odd that movie was the cars were pretty cool looking. The Season 5 car looks a bit more futuristics. However I think roborace is just plain straight. Can't see it because popular.

Those are 3dMax pictures, fair enough. The race track pictures are Photoshopped, sad as it seems, but not unexpected given the track record so far..before you respond I will "agree to disagree with you".

Stating that those images are photoshopped is not an opinion that others can agree or disagree with. It's a fact. In a weird way, you are right, they are photoshopped, but only to add the overlay (logo at the top left and text at the bottom). The car and track are in no way retouched. The fact that the cars looked to "float" a bit is because we were using a beta version that still had a small bug: the ambient shadows under the wheels were missing, which indeed seemed to make the cars float. We have since corrected that.

I have added a new screenshot where this has been corrected, and this time I did not even add any overlays. This is straight out of the game, in 4k resolution, so you can see all the detail we've put in the car and track (well, as much as a single shot can show, but you won't have to wait long for the release anyway).

Oo5baDc.jpg

While I agree that Formula E cars are not fast, I think saying that a F3 car or GT3 car aren't quick is wrong - a F3 would beat the majority of cars around a circuit, as would a GT3. Formula E is young though, give it time - they have already progressed leaps and bounds since Season 1:
And please define a proper street circuit - aside from New York, Berlin and Mexico City all circuits in the last full year were on public streets, and some very good circuits indeed. The likes of Monaco, Long Beach and Adelaide are so loved because of their history - Formula E doesn't yet have any. Monaco in particular is a terrible track for racing, and if brought into the calendar now would be shunted away very quickly.

Its a bit like in the early days of Grand Prix racing, the Targa Florio was the only event that was run each year, like Berlin is the only city in Formula E to be run across all 3 completed seasons. The calendar will take years before solid formations are built, and a calendar like we see in modern F1 where season favourites like Spa, Silverstone, Monza are in place.

If Formula E is good or bad, is up to each persons opinion and I would hardly say that people complain about Formula E, just because it is the norm. I for one simply find nothing about it interesting and especialy the tracks are uninspiring. The cars look like transformers, sound like vaccum cleaners and I am not even tempted to visit a race because for be an important part of racing is the ambience (sound, smell, speed). Racing in cities, futuristic tech and affordable international racing is nothing new - that has been a big part of motorsport since people started racing and just looking at old pcitures from the 60's and 70's you know that racing was once very affordable. The reason why Berlin is a constant track is, because the City is interested to use the airport, wich has simply no other use and costs tons of money. Comparing Tempelhof with the Targa Florio is extremely laughable to say the least.

In this regard, this gets me alot more excited and I bet that car would still beat any Formula E car around Detroit, wich is a freaking awesome track btw. So much about cutting edge tech:

If Formula E is good or bad, is up to each persons opinion and I would hardly say that people complain about Formula E, just because it is the norm. I for one simply find nothing about it interesting and especialy the tracks are uninspiring. The cars look like transformers, sound like vaccum cleaners and I am not even tempted to visit a race because for be an important part of racing is the ambience (sound, smell, speed). Racing in cities, futuristic tech and affordable international racing is nothing new - that has been a big part of motorsport since people started racing and just looking at old pcitures from the 60's and 70's you know that racing was once very affordable. The reason why Berlin is a constant track is, because the City is interested to use the airport, wich has simply no other use and costs tons of money. Comparing Tempelhof with the Targa Florio is extremely laughable to say the least.

In this regard, this gets me alot more excited and I bet that car would still beat any Formula E car around Detroit, wich is a freaking awesome track btw. So much about cutting edge tech:
I think mentioning targa floria was used as an analogy. In reference to it being an original circuit people continued to race on. As might be the case with the Berlin FE track. who knows what the future might hold, if FE does make it big like F1 levels (who knows) Berlin could be considered the way people do with Monaco, Monza, Spa and Silverstone as one of the founding tracks of the series. Not making a direct comparison just using it as "if" (a big if.)

And its obvious a 1000bhp C.A.R.T will be faster than everything other than a F1 around a circuit in that era.

I agree, part of racing is the ambience, but it's not the be all and end all. I'd rather see 2 quiet, slow and odourless cars battle side by side than 1 go by and then another 30 seconds later that smell, sound good and are fast. Isn't racing about battles and close racing? Otherwise it is largely a procession.

Racing was indeed at one point very affordable, once. Now to run a team in British F4 costs £250,000 per car a year - not affordable at all. How is a 14-16 year old supposedly to afford that? Formula E teams in comparison spend about £3-5 million a year, which is cheap for the tech, media exposure and quality of competition.

As @samcar304 correctly stated, the Targa Florio was not comparative, it was an analogy.

In 2016 Formula E raced around the streets of Berlin because the airport was used for the immigration crisis - the airport is a public park and event center.

In addition, the link you have shown does not indicate racing, it shows a car circulating around a circuit. If you want a hotlap, go to a hillclimb event or time trial, where cars don't race against each other on track.

I agree that CART was indeed a good period of racing (despite being too young to remember it), but it wasn't sustainable as a series and went bankrupt, so it obviously didn't work.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back