More rF2 Formula E Previews Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E Preview 3.jpg

Check out the latest batch of preview images for the upcoming Formula E rFactor 2 DLC...

News that Studio 397 intend to release an officially licenced Formula E DLC for rFactor 2 next week was met with plenty of fiery comments from the sim racing community recently, with many a mixed opinion of the series venturing its way though the forum here at RaceDepartment in the last few hours.

Regardless of your opinion of the controversial electric FIA series it has been widely accepted as positive new of S397's acquisition of such a sort after official licence, and following our brief interview and reveal article released Wednesday night the developers have tricked out a few more images from the new car pack and Hong Kong street circuit, showing a very impressive attention to detail and really giving a great example as to how far the rFactor 2 racing simulation has grown graphically in the past few months under Studio 397's leadership.

So without further ado, check out these new preview images from the upcoming Formula E DLC for rFactor 2, due to land as early as next week...

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

rF2 Formula E Preview 1.jpg
rF2 Formula E Preview 2.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

rF 2 Formula E Preview 4.png rF2 Formula E Preview 5.jpg rF2 Formula E Preview 6.jpg rF2 Formula E Preview 7.jpg

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to trying these cars and track in rF2 soon? Let us know your thoughts below!

Last edited:
I think one problem is the cars are slow - its like watching the flintstones.
Formula E cars last year in pre-season testing we're faster than GT3 cars and only 1 second off F3 cars around Donington. And they've come on leaps and bounds since then. While they're not F1 levels they're certainly not slow. They also accelerate quicker than most road cars.
upload_2017-11-25_11-12-57.png

Where are the equivalents of Eau Rouge, Beckets, 190R etc?
As with any series, these famous corners come in time - Becketts didn't exist as we know it today in the first few decades of F1, and Eau Rouge has been heavily edited over the years. These famous venues and races take time to happen.

What do you mean by controversial? Is it because of no sounds, are you joking? Motorsport isn't just about sounds. It's about good racing and fan entertainment and that's what Formula e is all about!

Formula E is lacking in several key areas that are fundamental in motorsport.

Sound.Before the current hybrid F1 formula the first thing first timers mentioned on visiting an F1 race was the sound of the v8,v10s or v12s.

Speed.They are not spectacular.They are electric F3 cars racing on street tracks.It does not look difficult or spectacular.Most F1 drivers given the chance would like to drive an LMP1 car,Indycar or Nascar.That is not true of Fourmula E.

Drivers.The drivers are good but they are all failed F1 drivers or drivers that could not get to F1.

Tracks.We all enjoy some street tracks but some of the tracks in Formula E are terrible.Fans want corners like Eau Rouge,Paddock Bend at Brands Hatch,Porsche Curves at Le Mans or the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.

Three of these fundamentals,Sound,speed & iconic tracks have been some of the biggest complaints from F1 fans in the last few years so much so that F1 are addressing all of them.

The biggest growth area in motorsport is for Historic cars at iconic tracks.(Sound,speed & tracks)I would suggest RFactor 2 would be better releasing an Indycar pack from the Zanardi era,70s F1,80s F1,Group 5,Camel GT series complete with some tracks.That would certainly make me buy the game.

Formula E cars last year in pre-season testing we're faster than GT3 cars and only 1 second off F3 cars around Donington. And they've come on leaps and bounds since then. While they're not F1 levels they're certainly not slow. They also accelerate quicker than most road cars.
View attachment 223935
This is interesting. Maybe formula e has gotten a lot faster in the recent years because when the series started they were pretty slow compared to f3 cars. And Fe is trying their best to avoid driving on tracks where other classes drive to avoid lap time comparisons. If these numbers are representative then they'd have no reason to do so.

After all f3 teams use slicks and have more aero as well whereas fe runs on semislicks. Fe weighs a bout 800kg which is pretty near f1 cars so it is heavy compared to f3 but not really.

• Deleted member 387850

I’m a relative newcomer to PC sim racing and recently searched to find some Formula E content and was surprised when I couldn’t! I don’t own rF2 but am very interested in it now thanks to the FE content.

Personally I’m not a huge fan of FE, but I do think it’s the future and keep a keen eye on it to see how it develops. If they drop the gimmicks and the technology/performance keeps progressing it could be a very credible series, and there’s always room in my life for more motorsport ;)

Formula E cars last year in pre-season testing we're faster than GT3 cars and only 1 second off F3 cars around Donington.

In the September British GT round, F3 cars went round Donington GP in 1:25.1 (4 sec quicker than F-E) and GT3 Pro went round in 1:27.0 (2 sec quicker than F-E). And no disrespect to the drivers in the British championships but I doubt they are of the caliber of Buemi.

http://www.tsl-timing.com/Event/173805

In the September British GT round, F3 cars went round Donington GP in 1:25.1 (4 sec quicker than F-E) and GT3 Pro went round in 1:27.0 (2 sec quicker than F-E). And no disrespect to the drivers in the British championships but I doubt they are of the caliber of Buemi.

http://www.tsl-timing.com/Event/173805
While this may be true, Formula E cars run on semi-slicks, and are about 800kg, whereas an F309 is 550kg. If you really think Formula E is slow, consider that in 1950 F1 cars went round Spa in 4:37. By 1970 (the last race on old Spa) they lapped at 3:28 - nearly a minute quicker. Give the series time - electric/ alternative tech (despite what people say) is young.

As a so-called "chief editor" shouldn't you avoid your negative opinion to a minimum when you can't substantiate it?

No I can say what I like, thank you :)

I'm allowed an opinion, and when you say "can't substantiate it" where do you get that from? I don't bother to elaborate in the comments because - I've got better things to do frankly. Plus watch the races, that's all you need to prove my point. The series is cute, sometimes the odd bit of action can be exciting, but its not good racing. For that watch Caterham's, Clio cup or one of the many touring car series in the world.

This is coming from someone who has been following motorsport for nearly 30 years, attended a race in person for the first time in 1992, been to see Formula E at the race track, attended 3 test days at Donington, visiting the factory and met several of the teams. I'm still not impressed, sorry.

The tech is good, impressive even, and will only get better over time. This is a given.

However putting all of the "futuristic" and "green" stuff aside, and looking at it objectively as a racing series then the answer is the racing isn't good, at all. Well that's my opinion, and seeing as I'm not tied into any manufacturer, series, game company or other third party I'm allowed my opinion. My articles remain unbiased, but when commenting I can, and do, say what I feel.

No I can say what I like, thank you :)

I'm allowed an opinion, and when you say "can't substantiate it" where do you get that from? I don't bother to elaborate in the comments because - I've got better things to do frankly. Plus watch the races, that's all you need to prove my point. The series is cute, sometimes the odd bit of action can be exciting, but its not good racing. For that watch Caterham's, Clio cup or one of the many touring car series in the world.

This is coming from someone who has been following motorsport for nearly 30 years, attended a race in person for the first time in 1992, been to see Formula E at the race track, attended 3 test days at Donington, visiting the factory and met several of the teams. I'm still not impressed, sorry.

The tech is good, impressive even, and will only get better over time. This is a given.

However putting all of the "futuristic" and "green" stuff aside, and looking at it objectively as a racing series then the answer is the racing isn't good, at all. Well that's my opinion, and seeing as I'm not tied into any manufacturer, series, game company or other third party I'm allowed my opinion. My articles remain unbiased, but when commenting I can, and do, say what I feel.
You can do what you like. It just looks unprofessional to see your opinion finally show in one of the first comments below an article. I've been watching FE since the beginning and I can't understand how people call it dull or bad racing. Its doesn't make it easier when nobody can come with explanations. I guess its hard to judge the racing itself.

Also great to hear you attended test days and such, but that doesn't matter anyway.

We are ALL entitled to an opinion and an opinion is a personal point of view. It does not have to be factual. I cringe any time I hear or read a response to an opinion that starts off with or contains, "No, you are wrong..."

Regarding racing, I'll watch 2 turtles race if there's nothing else going on. I approached Fe with little enthusiasm but have found it to be better than I had expected. I do wish the courses were a bit more open with more fast sweeping corners and less rinky-dink chicanes.

I don't see myself going to a Fe race anytime in the near future as I still find motorsports on a natural terrain track to be the best and the more fan friendly. I also love the sound of the internal combustion engine.

Watching racing is a sensory overload experience for me. Sight, sound, smell. It's what I'm used to and why I love the sport especially trackside.

If you enjoy Fe, that's great and if you don't then that's fine too.

Looking forward to trying these cars and track in rF2 soon? Let us know your thoughts below!

No interest what so ever in the license or game.

It's a shame ISI didn't put more love into this amazing engine and title when they had the chance, but after 5 yrs of development and lack of official licenses and content that interested me I grew tired and shelved it.

I appreciate 397 attempts to revive it, but IMO I feel they're wasting their time.....reason being and total speculations at this point, with the past connections between Reiza and ISI, Renatos comments regarding the engine, conversion tool, etc.....there's a pretty good chance all the hard work Reiza has put into polishing AMS will result in a conversion to the RF2 engine for there upcoming title.

As a consumer which one is gonna look more attractive.....an unpolished game with a small amount of random content or hopefully a polished version running DX12 and lots of quality content?

But I could be completely wrong lol
in that case, here's to hoping 397 can produce more licenses and hopefully some that are more interesting than this one :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 192 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%