More Realistic Automatic Gearbox

Apps More Realistic Automatic Gearbox 0.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
AugGust submitted a new resource:

More Realistic Automatic Gearbox - An attempt to simulate real automatic gearbox behavior

More Realistic Automatic Gearbox

Does the automatic shifter revving the hell out of the engine annoy you?
Well it annoyed me so I made this for cruising. Also has multiple drive modes (like pretty much all automatic cars nowadays..)

*Should* work for most semi-automatic road cars

Demo

Note: The algorithm was based off my observation and imagination. I don't know how real cars decide which gear to take. Also this does not...

Read more about this resource...

I know it's a lot to ask, but when you are in high gears ad get on the throttle, the time it takes to downshift threw every gear is annoying. Is there a way to directly downshift to the needed gear? And can you make the app in Sport Mode upshift at the redline?

I know it's a lot to ask, but when you are in high gears ad get on the throttle, the time it takes to downshift threw every gear is annoying. Is there a way to directly downshift to the needed gear? And can you make the app in Sport Mode upshift at the redline?
Sadly it there isn't a way to just "choose" the exact gear I want so it has to go through them. Cars with faster gearboxes handles this really well, like the huracan. And do you mean it upshifts too early? If you are driving flat out it goes very near the redline to shift

Sadly it there isn't a way to just "choose" the exact gear I want so it has to go through them. Cars with faster gearboxes handles this really well, like the huracan. And do you mean it upshifts too early? If you are driving flat out it goes very near the redline to shift
The Huracan upshifts at 8075rpm, where the redline is at 8500rpm.
Maybe in Normal mode it goes up to 8075, but in Sport it should go to 99%

And another thing I noticed was that maybe the app should not upshift during braking. I just drove the Panamera on Highlands and when braking it upshifted only to then downshift again when accelerating out of the turn.
Have you talked to Ilja from the CSP? He wanted to implement an automatic shifting system into AC and this seems to be exactly that

The Huracan upshifts at 8075rpm, where the redline is at 8500rpm.
Maybe in Normal mode it goes up to 8075, but in Sport it should go to 99%
Hmm should it actually go that high? I just took a number which I would normally shift at, even in a race, which in this case I took the 95% point from redline.
1591622569530.png

In the case of the huracan you can see that power and torque both falls off rapidly after 8000 rpm, It'll probably be a lot slower if it actually went to 99% (8415rpm)

And another thing I noticed was that maybe the app should not upshift during braking. I just drove the Panamera on Highlands and when braking it upshifted only to then downshift again when accelerating out of the turn.
Indeed the behavior of upshifting during braking is a little strange. Were you braking hard? If the RPMs fall really fast it should downshift instead. If you're braking only gently, it'll just continue to try to fuel save, and might upshift in that case. Either way if you gas hard when going out of a corner, there's a high chance that it'll downshift to give you more torque.

Have you talked to Ilja from the CSP? He wanted to implement an automatic shifting system into AC and this seems to be exactly that
Ohh that's cool, no I haven't spoken to him before. If I knew he was going to do something like this I would have left it to him to make it. He seems to know what he's doing much better than me anyway ahaha...

Hmm should it actually go that high? I just took a number which I would normally shift at, even in a race, which in this case I took the 95% point from redline.
View attachment 380214
In the case of the huracan you can see that power and torque both falls off rapidly after 8000 rpm, It'll probably be a lot slower if it actually went to 99% (8415rpm)

Indeed the behavior of upshifting during braking is a little strange. Were you braking hard? If the RPMs fall really fast it should downshift instead. If you're braking only gently, it'll just continue to try to fuel save, and might upshift in that case. Either way if you gas hard when going out of a corner, there's a high chance that it'll downshift to give you more torque.

Ohh that's cool, no I haven't spoken to him before. If I knew he was going to do something like this I would have left it to him to make it. He seems to know what he's doing much better than me anyway ahaha...
If you recalculate the power it is not dropping off much at redline. (Three dots, recalculate using data only)

I was in eco-mode and during braking it went from 6th gear to 8th gear, presumably because I backed of the throttle.

I don't think he has started working on it, but I saw it on the Trello board for the CSP and why not ask him, he probably can help you quite a lot.
Awesome app nonetheless!

When I drag and drop into CM it says 7zip executable not found, do you know what I'm doing wrong?
I never had a problem, maybe go into Settings, Content Manager, Plugins (I think?) and there should be a 7Zip plugin, which you might need to install

If you recalculate the power it is not dropping off much at redline. (Three dots, recalculate using data only)

I was in eco-mode and during braking it went from 6th gear to 8th gear, presumably because I backed of the throttle.

I don't think he has started working on it, but I saw it on the Trello board for the CSP and why not ask him, he probably can help you quite a lot.
Awesome app nonetheless!
Hmmm then I guess it's more of a preference thing then. Maybe if more people use/request this i'll add some customization options later. For now you can change it on line 162, from 0.95 to 0.99. But it'll affect all driving profiles to allow them to let them hit 99% of redline

And yes it's by design that it'll try to raise the gears very aggressively in eco-mode for max savings. Maybe I could add some logic to make it act differently if brakes are applied. I wonder if real ECUs take braking into account, to choose gears?

I'll rather not bother Ilja with my meager skills :rolleyes: Dude's outta my league and i'm happy enough to cruise with this

Hmmm then I guess it's more of a preference thing then. Maybe if more people use/request this i'll add some customization options later. For now you can change it on line 162, from 0.95 to 0.99. But it'll affect all driving profiles to allow them to let them hit 99% of redline

And yes it's by design that it'll try to raise the gears very aggressively in eco-mode for max savings. Maybe I could add some logic to make it act differently if brakes are applied. I wonder if real ECUs take braking into account, to choose gears?

I'll rather not bother Ilja with my meager skills :rolleyes: Dude's outta my league and i'm happy enough to cruise with this
Ilja is the nicest person in the whole AC community, look at my mod resume, he listens to everyone. You could just post it in the discord channel, I would say in the physics-extension-channel.

I found this, it seems like brake torque is taken into calculation. Maybe you can find a table that takes all the inputs and the following actions into account

Ilja is the nicest person in the whole AC community, look at my mod resume, he listens to everyone. You could just post it in the discord channel, I would say in the physics-extension-channel.

I found this, it seems like brake torque is taken into calculation. Maybe you can find a table that takes all the inputs and the following actions into account
My app doesn't touch the physics of the sim at all... It's simply a "if XX condition fulfilled, hit change gear button". I've a feeling that he's aiming for a much more realistic approach to implementing this.

And holy moly that looks complicated. If you look at the debug info in the app while you're driving, you'll probably understand my algorithm super quickly. It is a grossly simplified system (compared to what you linked), but at least it works for most cars ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm wondering how it would affect things if I simply froze the aggressiveness during braking. I'm not looking into a super realistic simulation after all

Hello. Im testing ur app rn and it works for modern automatics in general. Issue is with old, 4 or even 3 speed automatics. I have Nissan Z32 with 4 speed auto and in normal mode it keeps up and downshifting cuz script calculated threshold on about 4500rpms, which is way to high for that gearbox. Is it somehow possible to get it consider values from autoshifting?
Also is it possible to stop it pressing buttons in pause?
Thx in advance.

Last edited:
This is simply brilliant, i love using it!

Would it be possible to add x360 controller input so it won't interfere with the keyboard in the background? I tried adding it myself but i have no knowledge on python, and loading another script in your pythonscript crashes the app because i am to noob at this :roflmao:.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 399 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 269 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 258 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 187 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 316 13.0%