DiRT 4 More DiRT 4 Previews Break Cover

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT Rally 4 - 5.jpg

With today marking the announcement by Codemasters of DiRT 4, yet more preview images from the new game have surfaced on the internet showing off the impressive visuals of a title that has aroused more than a little conversation amongst our sim racing community.

DiRT 4 has been pitched to the gaming public as a cross between the hugely successful simulation focussed DiRT Rally and more arcade orientated DiRT 3 release, with several forms of offroad racing due to be represented in the new game. Judging from the comments over on our announcement article, it appears the traditional rally portion of the game is attracting the most interest from RD readers, and luckily that is the area of the game the newly released images seem to mostly cover.

Across these five new screenshots we can see the new for DiRT 4 Kartcross machine in action on one of the Rallycross circuits in game, a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6, a Ford Fiesta Rallycross vehicle in unlicensed fictional liveries and probably of most interest a Subaru Impreza R4 from 2016 - a new addition to the DiRT franchise. Also expected to be making an appearance in the game will be the Peugeot 208 R5. Other cars, locations and formats of racing are yet to be revealed outside of the traditional rally mode, Rallycross, Kartcross, Trucks and Buggy disciplines.

Other confirmed goodies due to be added to the upcoming title include cross-platform multiplayer by default, with both Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC joining together on the game leadboards for the very first time, coupled with a new PvP multiplayer rally feature that allows groups of up to eight players starting on stage at the same time, effectively allowing you to run a "live" rally and revolutionising the way multiplayer works within the new release.

Something that was missing from DiRT Rally and left the game all the worse for it is now due to make an appearance in DiRT 4 - in offline mode you will see broken down cars by the side of the road, with your crew giving you an audio warning before you encounter the obstruction on stage. This is only a relatively minor addition to the title, but something that makes a welcome addition and adds to the immersion of competing in a full blown rally event.

Also confirmed to be making a change in the new title will be the removal of the "instant-finish" way stages end in the current release. Now when you cross the line, you retain control the car until the Time Control area. This will require the player to not simply accelerate across the line but to moderate your speed in anticipation of stopping the car in the correct area at stage end, somewhat similar to RBR.

DiRT Rally 4 - 4.jpg
DiRT Rally 4 - 3.jpg
DiRT Rally 4 - 2.jpg
DiRT Rally 4 - 1.jpg

DiRT 4 will be available for Windows PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 June 2017.

Check out our DiRT 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions regarding the latest edition to the DiRT Rally franchise of games. Get yourself over to the new sub forum today and join in the discussion!

Looking forward to DiRT 4? Do you think the game will be closer in feeling to the previous DiRT Rally release or closer to the more quick fire fun oriented DiRT 2 and 3 games? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
My path to sim racing was something like Grid ==> Dirt ==> Dirt 2 ==> RBR ==> rF1 ==> GT5 ==> Simbin ==> rF2 etc. and how I ended up first playing Grid was so coincidental but I digress...

I haven't read the other thread or any other info yet but all other things being equal roadside breakdowns and driver-controlled finishes are promising indicators for sure!

While DiRT Rally is my favorite by far, I must confess that DiRT 2 really rocked my world. I was just so blown away by every aspect of that game especially considering I wasn't a sim snob...yet :p

If I could scope out the non traditional rally features, this is how I'd do it...

Trailblazer or whatever that was where one of the tracks was in China and you drove modified versions of the rallycross cars but just way more powerful. Not the high downforce ones.

The cross country race type which the SUV type vehicles was awesome.

No CORR trucks on circuits although if Reiza did that I'd be all over it based on their Supertruck physics.

No buggies.

LOTS of rallycross especially tracks like Dirt 1 including the ones where two cars start from different part of the track or whatever. You know what I mean.

And lots of different RWD cars. And for some reason I think I liked RX in Dirt 2 better than Dirt Rally especially the tarmac physics but that was a long time ago but still.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back