Monza Secures New F1 Contract - DTM to Debut in 2020

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Monza new F1 and DTM deal.jpg

The legendary Monza circuit will host Formula One for at least another five years - plus welcomes DTM from the 2020 season.

Having been in something of a difficult position in recent months as contract negotiations apparently stalled with the FIA and Liberty Media, the Autodromo Nazionale Monza recently confirmed they have finally secured their place on the Formula One calendar from next season - penning a new agreement that will see the Italian venue remain on the Grand Prix schedule for at least another five years.

As well as the late confirmation of a Formula One contract extension, the circuit have also announced the predominantly German based DTM series will be heading to the fabled corners of Monza from next year, replacing the unpopular Italian event in Misano.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Track kind of sucks for modern F1, but F1 without Monza? No way. I love looking at the grandstands, the dilapidated facilities, thinking about the history - it's great.

Funny enough, but I think DTM could actually be kind of fun here. You might see surprisingly good racing action.

Monza and F1 last year was really awesome. Not if you're a Ferrari fan, no. We'll see this year and the next five more.

Monza is a terrific venue. Really enjoyed the trip there. Has a carnival atmosphere like Circuit deck Catalunya and both tracks need to be on any European motorsport calendar really.

Monza should never be removed from the schedule.
Come to think of it Monza was the venue for one of greatest WSBK rounds I've attended quite some time ago.......:thumbsup:

It's an important highlight of the calendar for sure - but I can't help but feel that the circuit is lagging behind other venues in terms of the spectator experience. Hopefully they'll find some funding to upgrade some of the facilities.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 81 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 446 39.4%