Monza Secures Italian Grand Prix Until 2019

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Monza Retains Grand Prix.jpg

After nearly twelve months of speculation, it has finally been confirmed that the Italian Grand Prix will continue to be hosted at the world famous Monza circuit for an additional three years, bringing the current contract up to the end of the 2019 season.

One of the most popular events for both fans and teams alike, it would have been a considerable own goal by the Formula One Management Group to allow such an historic event to be left by the wayside in Formula One's constant quest to enhance income for the sport.

Grand Prix ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone has admitted that no formal contract has been signed at present, however the deal has been agreed in effect.

"Regretfully legally we can't sign it here but more important is that we have an agreement thanks to our lawyers and we are getting all the small details sorted," Ecclestone stated.

"There is no problem in having the race here. The contract will be for three years but I hope we are here for 100 years."

The legendary Ferrari Tifosi will be delighted at the announcement of Monza retaining the rights to host Formula One Grand Prix events for a further three years. Despite Ferrari struggling somewhat for solid results in recent seasons, the ever loyal Tifosi continue to flock to the Italian temple of speed in impressive numbers to cheer on their beloved drivers, and this years event is expected to be no different.

The 2003 Italian Grand Prix still remains the fastest Grand Prix in Formula One history. Champion elect Michael Schumacher clocked an incredible 247km/h average speed in his Ferrari on route to claiming yet another Grand Prix victory for the Italian squad.

Take a quick pitstop (sorry couldn't help it) at the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum for news and discussion regarding the premier championship in motorsport.

Happy to see Monza remain on an ever diversifying calendar? Been to the track yourself and want to share your experiences? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Ecclestone plan is and always will be to move Formula 1 mainly outside Europe, get rid of old iconic tracks like Monza and Silverstone, and replace them by Tilkedroms like Abu Dhabi, Shangai or other esotic countries with zero motorsport history and culture, but several $$$ ready for Bernie joy.

Ecclestone plan is and always will be to move Formula 1 mainly outside Europe, get rid of old iconic tracks like Monza and Silverstone, and replace them by Tilkedroms like Abu Dhabi, Shangai or other esotic countries with zero motorsport history and culture, but several $$$ ready for Bernie joy.
I see it another way with a bit of positive attitude.

Ecclestone plan and always is to give more people from different continents the chance to watch F1, build new tracks with interesting layouts (I think Tilke is underrated), so that F1 fans around the world will be able to become fans of the sport. That way the whole sport will grow globally.

I see it another way with a bit of positive attitude.

Ecclestone plan and always is to give more people from different continents the chance to watch F1, build new tracks with interesting layouts (I think Tilke is underrated), so that F1 fans around the world will be able to become fans of the sport. That way the whole sport will grow globally.

Just like in Turkey, Korea, India..... Masses of money spent on facilities that the locals don't want and ultimately get abandonded...

After nearly twelve months of speculation, it has finally been confirmed that the Italian Grand Prix will continue to be hosted at the world famous Monza circuit for an additional three years, bringing the current contract up to the end of the 2019 season.
That's not the entire story though:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/24/monza-planning-tear-first-chicane/

(I think Tilke is underrated)
depends on the track

so that F1 fans around the world will be able to become fans of the sport
wonder why they don't go to poor countries like Serbia then :p

People tend to forget that u have to pay f1 to come to your circuit,not the other way around. U can have a great track,but if your government does not care for motor sport,u will never see f1.

For example i'm from south africa,we hosted kyalami for years ,and many of u know the track,Porsche south africa just spend millions to redo the track completely.

It received a grade b license,with some more work it can become grade A. But sadly our government doesn't even know what motor sport is.

I'll believe that when I see it :D Hope not... I like the current layout to be honest. Still, at least its not a "classic" corner that's lost if they do change it...
I must say I disagree. Curva Grande is a classic in Monza, with many spectacular passes being done here in the past.

Ecclestone plan and always is to give more people from different continents the chance to watch F1
You mean primarily in countries with human rights issues and/or where the rulers are drowning in wealth and basically able to buy a prestigious event for their personal gratification?

build new tracks with interesting layouts (I think Tilke is underrated)
You mean employ one man to build every single track from a single design perspective and keep him rolling in cash rather than promote any sort of competition to reduce costs and therefore make it cheaper for the host building nation or make for an interesting creative counterpoint between different design attitudes?

If Bernie cared about building a following for the sport he wouldn't make the barrier to entry for an event so high by charging the hosts so much. What Bernie cares about is obvious -- making money. Being romantic about this is absurd. This is a business and when you have the monopoly you're a tyrant for your own aggrandizement, as its always been.

I must say I disagree. Curva Grande is a classic in Monza, with many spectacular passes being done here in the past.

Oh **** I didn't read that far... I got to the missing first chicane bit and decided that's fine, not worried. Didn't see the Curva Grande bit. Now that would be tragic...

If all is to be taken at face value however, it could be that the proposed layout is used for the bikes, and cars could well remain on the current setup. If that happens, and it makes it safer for bikes without the need for the cars to use it, then I'm happy enough. Just please, for the love of god, don't spoil the track for the cars... pleeeeease

If all is to be taken at face value however, it could be that the proposed layout is used for the bikes, and cars could well remain on the current setup. If that happens, and it makes it safer for bikes without the need for the cars to use it, then I'm happy enough. Just please, for the love of god, don't spoil the track for the cars... pleeeeease
They said in the article that they don't want to make the bike circuit different to the car circuit unfortunately. They already ruined it once with the parabolica run-off, I fear it'll happen again :unsure:

Glad to hear this is still on the calendar. I went there in 2006 I think and it was one of the best Grand Prix weekends apart from Catalunya of course.
Hoping to go back there with my wife and daughter in the next few years to show them the temple of speed!

Why not Mugello for a change? The moto gp is just brilliant there! ! But of course Monza is a historic race track. If they plan to change that first chicane, I hope for a fast right- left hander. Never fear to try sth new. Actually I don't watch F1 anymore :whistling:

Just like in Turkey, Korea, India..... Masses of money spent on facilities that the locals don't want and ultimately get abandonded...

The way you hear about how them poor tracks that are muscled into paying a ton of money to FOM for hosting rights and end up caving in just to keep their place on the calendar is just disturbing. Our beautifully corrupt local govt. which was not satisfied with the usual under the table dealings that went on throughout the entire construction process of the track went the opposite way and decided they won't be out-greed-ed by a silly corporation and decided F1 is not a "sport" but it is "entertainment" so they have to pay the govt. an enormous amount of tax if they want to host in India. And FOM said screw you and boom, no more Indian GP. Glorious. :D

Good for Monza though, maybe they will manage to stay relevant for a couple more years until their pockets inevitably run dry and then will get dropped like a hot deuce for a country with them oil monies lying under their couch. :p

But, here's Bernie's reaction to all of us crying about management slowly bleeding the tracks dry -

lJrCtBS.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 426 16.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 285 11.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 280 11.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 192 7.5%
  • < 5 years