Monza GP: AMS vs AC

I did a little "not realy comparison" video of Monza in AMS and AC ..
Obviously lightening on car model is better in AC, AMS leaves AC behind in sound department and tracks quality is about the same .. Patrick did a great job in my opinion ...
Pls ignore the driving .. did three laps in both sims trying to mach the laptimes .. didn`t really work :) Monza onboard and Spa in modern openwheelers already recorded ...

Monza GP
Nurburgring GP
Barcelona GP

Last edited:
Well, I'm lately not sure if AC really looks better... There's something not quite convincing about the tracks, but I cant pinpoint what. Walls don't look scary, rumblestrips are visually like cardboard cutouts, and shadows just stop me from seeing anything. Well, the cars look gorgeous I guess...

In SCE/AMS its easy to believe that walls and rumblestrips are real, and it gives me quite a rush to vizz on by.. Iracing, from what I see in the videos, also looks nice and convincing.

Dirt Rally and Project cars, from what I tried of them, seem to be indeed on another level graphicaly, and it's easy to get immersed in them. They barely work on my pc tho.

Well, I'm lately not sure if AC really looks better... There's something not quite convincing about the tracks, but I cant pinpoint what. Walls don't look scary, rumblestrips are visually like cardboard cutouts, and shadows just stop me from seeing anything. Well, the cars look gorgeous I guess...

In SCE/AMS its easy to believe that walls and rumblestrips are real, and it gives me quite a rush to vizz on by.. Iracing, from what I see in the videos, also looks nice and convincing.

Dirt Rally and Project cars, from what I tried of them, seem to be indeed on another level graphicaly, and it's easy to get immersed in them. They barely work on my pc tho.

I agree with you, only if pCars and AMS could make a baby, pCars graphics and AMS physics would be a perfect game :D!

tracks quality is about the same .. Patrick did a great job in my opinion ...
It's great that we have one quality modder building track content for AMS but sorry no it's absolutely not the same quality as the laserscanned versions of Assetto Corsa :) Day and night difference. One is accurately laser-scanned, the other isn't, that's where the comparison stops imo.

Last edited:
It's great that we have one quality modder building content for AMS but sorry no it's absolutely not the same quality as the laserscanned versions of Assetto Corsa :) Day and night difference. One is accurately laser-scanned, the other isn't, that's where the comparison stops imo.

For a staff member on this site that was a kick in the pants to everyone working on getting their mods on AMS. "One" quality modder? Are you effing serious? The game has only been out for what 2 weeks? There are a bunch of us working hard to ensure we have quality mods brought up to AMS standards. Have you even seen our work maybe you should look up what's in the WIP threads.

Are you effing serious?
Oh sorry, I forgot again that staff members can't have an opinion. To take away your extreme insta-hurt I was referring to track modders as that was the topic at hand here I believe?

I see four tracks released by Patrick but I am looking forward testing out your circuits as well.

Edit: checking the wip thread again and I only see posts by Patrick releasing screenshots of the tracks he's been working on. Not sure what other tracks you are referring to?

Edit2: added the word track in the original post so nobodies tea water needs to boil over.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is try to choose your words more carefully, Of course you are entitled to an opinion, but as a staff member you also represent the site and its community. There are some amazing projects in the works from many modders! In other words maybe saying nothing at all might be better then to insult every modder other than Patrick.

Edit: I'm done not going to turn this thread away from its purpose.

Edit 2: FYI I posted in the cars section that I will be bringing tracks over in time

Last edited:
It's great that we have one quality modder building track content for AMS but sorry no it's absolutely not the same quality as the laserscanned versions of Assetto Corsa :) Day and night difference. One is accurately laser-scanned, the other isn't, that's where the comparison stops imo.
Except the fact that AMS suspension physics feel much better than AC ones ... Actually, cars on AC feel like they have no suspension, especially on bumpy tracks where cars feel like bouncing boxes.

Again surprise me with amazing track content as I haven't seen it in AMS nor in SCE. As Patrick knows how to add that little Reiza flavor to his circuits they are most of time close to Reiza's default content.

However the majority of tracks I have tested in SCE are (quick) ports from rFactor with icey road surfaces that are totally unsuitable for SCE/AMS and not up to par with the in game content.

What I have been generally missing in recent years are beautiful scratch build projects, a plethora of fantasy tracks such as Toban, Mills Metro, Essington, Vitus GP, Oldring and such. I am personally not interested in tracks that date back from the GP4 era with some modifications and updates.

You can be upset or hurt about my opinion if you wish, but for me personally real modding is creating, not converting. That said, that's my opinion and as long as the majority of people in the community enjoy such content it's all fine by me to be honest, but it's not my cup of tea.

Except the fact that AMS suspension physics feel much better than AC ones

Again I was talking about tracks, not about suspensions, physics or anything else related to both games.

Suspension is what makes of laserscanned tracks what they are, driving on AC's nurburgring is not really a pleasing experience.

Anyway, AMS destroys AC in departements i am interested in (physics,physics, racing features and MP).

Last edited:
@Bram as i mentioned i dont consider laserscanning, otherwise AC would win by default...accuracy is obviously always better in AC...just like modern graphic engine is doing a lot ..
By quality I mean the modeling, details, visual feeling, etc...

And it also gives me a reason to launch AC again even if it is only for 2-3 laps :)

Last edited:
Hi Bram, as you know most modded tracks for AC have been ripped and converted from rfactor as well, yes there some decent scratch built tracks for AC but I don't recall any that have been laserscanned.
Personally I find the laserscanned AC tracks, while accurate and great visually, feel strangely flat.
Case in point. A modded track, such as Patrick's new Barcelona in all it's incarnations, feels alive, "frisky" you might say, unlike AC's laserscanned Barcelona which I have a hard time enjoying driving on to the point where it's actually boring.

Well, do you want realism or something that feels cool?

In most genres i prefer adjusting reality a little bit to make it more interesting.
In simracing i prefer the real thing, even if that means that your car doesn't spin like crazy if you aren't super soft on the throttle or a racetrack isn't as bumpy as a rocky beach ;)

Hi Bram, as you know most modded tracks for AC have been ripped and converted from rfactor as well, yes there some decent scratch built tracks for AC but I don't recall any that have been laserscanned.
Personally I find the laserscanned AC tracks, while accurate and great visually, feel strangely flat.
Case in point. A modded track, such as Patrick's new Barcelona in all it's incarnations, feels alive, "frisky" you might say, unlike AC's laserscanned Barcelona which I have a hard time enjoying driving on to the point where it's actually boring.

That happens because modder will only update the graphics layer and leave the physics layer untouched , which most of the time is a rather low density, making suspension oscillating unrealistically.

It might feel alive but is completely wrong. You can add some more vibration by adding some canned effects. I find the following settings for my G27 as best (also use anticlipping app) :

Capture3.jpg

Capture4.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Last edited:
The only reason I like laserscanning is because it ensures you know that the camber is right on the road. Too many mod tracks have iffy camber changes. Most of Patrick's have at least one (Monza second Lesmo, Barcelona going into the second modified chicane, Bathurst turn 2) and it really alters the experience and when you drive through it you think to yourself survive the messed up corner.

But this doesn't mean laserscanning is the only legitimate option in my opinion. Drive through Reiza's Interlagos turn 12 and it feels pretty authentic and matches what you see drivers doing in reality and that is a corner with I feel is some challenging camber that always wants to leave you washing out into understeer.

You'd be able to recreate a track 1:1 without laserscanning.
Just 99.9% of modders don't have the option of going to the circuit and gathering all the fine details they'd need to get close to a laserscanned version.

modders don't have the option of going to the circuit and gathering all the fine details they'd need to get close to a laserscanned version.
I somehow doubt Reiza has been to Suzuka or Imola for that matter, particular through a time machine.

I think you can get all the info you need from carefully reviewing images and videos and data if you can nab it. You should be able to tell if a corner is messed up just by watching someone drive it in a sim in an equivalent car next to a real video. Obviously by talent and available information it is less than 99.9% but then again how much can all of us who never drive these real tracks in legit race cars at race pace know the difference?

Laserscanning snobbery makes me think of those people who buy the best equipment for a hobby they just got into without any ability to know the reason why that stuff costs 8x more than what they should have bought.

Sure, i don't get carried away too much by the "laserscanned" stamp on the cover either.
But you never get as much detail informations about a track as you'd want and seeing people putting out more than 1 track per year i doubt that their research is that extensive :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 222 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 116 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%