Montreal Goes Crazy

Yeah, it's quite a dilemma, F1 on the one hand is the category that shall produce the fastest racing car on earth (that's my understanding about F1 at least), but on the other hand, tests are forbidden. Even before the season they just have, what, 8 days?
Having this in mind, actually we must say new teams like HRT do a pretty good job. Just getting a chassis somewhere, not really having any knowledge and just being 4 seconds off a Red Bull, is not so bad, seriously. But of course, it still totally sucks for the audience.

Regarding the DRS, as you say, the zones suck, which is kinda what I mentioned above...simulation is not everything and is sometimes simply wrong, which makes the whole thing fail completely. And of course, let's not forget, developement of DRS costs money.
Instead of having DRS zones I'd just introduce "push to pass" where during a race you have, say, 20 opportunities to flap down your rear wing, or use Kers. Then the zones can suck as much as they like, it doesn't matter anymore. It's the driver's choice how and when to use it.

But apparently it's impossible for the FIA to copy something from the US. They needed several races to brand the tyres properly, and it's still not good. Again would be so easy.

Yeh, for sure DRS is stupid, I'd understand if it is something like allowing you to get closer to the driver but the FIA have totally messed it up in some instances...The system can't handle two different activation zones when the straights are one after the other which is pathetic...Too many times we have seen guys pass into the chicane and then pull away with the DRS in the pit straight...Whats the point in that, I don't know...

And then the reason they have two activation zones aswell is stupid too..One is enough.

Personally, FIA have made some huge errors on the activation zones for DRS, Turkey was way too easy and also here at Canada, Schumacher...With a Merc engine shouldnt be overtaken before the corner really...Yeh, Canada was a good race for sure, but you could also look at races which DRS have 'failed' such as Monaco, Spain or Australia. Those races, especially Monaco and Spain still had overtaking (All be it mainly due to tyres) but it was more tactical and thats what F1 is all about.

DRS, KERS, Blown diffuser or whatever you want. We never had such an exciting and interesting season, apart from the gap which Vettel already have. In the past people complained about boring races, no overtaking manouvers ect. Now you have alot of them in the race + the new tyres. The tyres are bad yes, but who cares. The action on track is there and thats the only thing which count.
And wait until the blown diffuser from RedBull is forbidden after Silverstone or from there on. No team will have such an disadvantage than RedBull. If this diffuser makes the difference between RedBull and the other team, be sure Vettel will not win the Championship. Hamilton, Alonso, Rosberg and Schumacher are better than Vettel even it is just abit.

How do you want to call it Jan? Surely, the differences between a DRS using car and a "usual" car are too big or the straight in montreal was just to long. And you cant compare DRS and Webber and Schumacher. There were so many situations where it didnt work to use it. It always depends on the topspeed of each car.

Nevertheless, i enjoy this season very much more than the last 4 years.

FIA failed with DRS but still, its a difficult job they have got, and things have to be tried before they can learn from it. sadly they have only did wrong lately. I agree that f1 should go back some years, killer engines and hard overtakes. but i dont agree with less aero. f1 have always been about real racing and extreme engineering, but those two thing dont match. in the old days (senna days) it was all driver skill, in 2008 it was all car skill. 2010 was a close 50/50. so its all about making compromises. i say gone with the "special abillities" like kers and drs, and make a half man half machine ca, and let them fight

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back