Monitors when using VR

All, I am new to VR and definitely like it, but have a probably simple question regarding the use of a monitor on the same PC as the VR is used on.

Am I right in thinking that the lowest resolution monitor is the best to use, in order to not take away GPU power from the VR? I am assuming that essentially the GPU is driving two monitors when it is in VR mode, so any non VR GPU usage is just parasitic.

The other question is, as I have an old 1060 sitting doing nothing, is it worth installing it alongside the better GPU and powering the 'service' monitor for non VR use via the second GPU and leave the main GPU to soley power the VR headset?

Cheers

Les

The monitors resolution doesn't really come into it. All it's showing is a copy of what the headset see's, it's not generating a whole new image. So monitor doesn't matter. I think you can turn off the reprojection to the monitor but I don't think it's going to save more than a frame or two.

Your GPU is driving two images for the VR headset and just showing one of those images on the monitor as well.
So no need for a second GPU.

Les, I wouldn't personally overcomplicate things with trying to have a separate GPU for your moitor.

When you run in VR, the image you see in the headset is simply mirrored onto the monitor which will take hardly any resources away from the graphics card. With rF2 for example, you can choose not to mirror the VR image onto the monitor at all if you'd prefer.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 195 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 379 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 518 38.6%