Monitors for sim racing?

I’m starting to process of building a new PC gaming system which I will be using for sim racing and flight sims but also for other games (mostly non-real-time strategy, e.g. Paradox games). A triple setup is possible in the future, but not currently. I have no interest in VR (makes me sick, literally).

I’m generally a hot lapper and though online racing is something I want to try some day, I have’t tried it yet.

Given the most demanding current race sims (I assume that means AMS2 and ACC, though I currently mostly drive in AC), and the use cases above, I’d appreciate some comments on various monitor features and trade offs.

1. How important is response time? What value is too high and what is optimal?
2. What’s the sweet spot for refresh rate? I know more is better, but I don’t have an infinite budget.
3. Is display port better than HDMI?
4. Based on my experience so far (27 in. 5K 60 MHz iMac LCD, usually race at 1440), I would guess I wouldn’t notice a big difference while racing between 1080 and 1440. However, it seems to me that more pixels would pay off with strategy games since I’ll be able to see more on the screen.
5. Are there real advantages (or disadvantages) to curved screens?
6. Are Gsync and FreeSync an advantage for sim racing? If so, which one is better?
7. In case I go nuts and get a three screen setup or want to future-proof myself, what kind of video card does it take to drive three 1440 or three 1080 monitors?

Thanks for your help!

If you haven't already, I'd start by reading these three threads....

and...

and...

Then, I'd read a few articles at TFT Monitors website...
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/budget_gaming_monitors_2020.htm
and...

Everyone has their own favorite monitors. In a 38" Ultra wide, I like the LG 38GL950G. In a 34" Ultra Wide, I like the LG 34GK950F. See my PC components listed below. The bigger the monitor, and the higher the resolution you want for quality eye-candy, the better your CPU and video card need to be. Your budget is the key factor determining how good your PC toys will be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you haven't already, I'd start by reading these three threads....

Thanks, that was helpful. It sounds like I’ll notice the difference moving up from 60 Hz. Is there a noticeable improvement between 120 Hz and 144 Hz?

I will probably go with a single 1440p monitor but I’m on the fence as to whether the price premium of a wide screen will give me a significantly better driving experience.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 234 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 163 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 119 7.5%
  • < 5 years