Monitor Upgrade

• Thread starter Deleted member 387850
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 387850

• Deleted member 387850

I'm currently using a Asus VG245 monitor which is a 24" 1080p 75Hz model but it's been proving challenging when running (close to) correct FOV settings for obvious reasons. I've ruled out triples for cost and performance reasons and VR I'm still keeping an eye on (pardon the pun). That leaves me going for a larger single display but finding one that ticks all the boxes is easier said than done.

Ideally I'd like a 34" 21:9 1080p 144Hz display but some of the prices are eye watering and the reviews are erratic to say the least. However, I did stumble across the Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ which is a 32" 16:9 1440p 144Hz monitor that seems perfect. It has a larger vertical view than a 21:9 and is only slightly smaller on the horizontal. It is curved which puts me off slightly, but as long as it doesn't distort my view I guess I'd get used to it. At around £550 the price seems good compared to equivalent spec 21:9 options, and cheaper than going for triples and associated hardware.

My two questions are; does this monitor seem like a good single-screen solution for sim racing and how will my GTX1060 fair pumping out 1440p in sims like Raceroom and AC? Thanks!

I bought myself one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Curve...F8&qid=1515504282&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rog+34

Am running a GTX1060 and I love the screen. I run my racing games in VR on the Rift, I do not have space for more than one monitor but as I do playing non sim racing games and work from home it made sense to go for one larger monitor.

My mate has one so had seen it in action.

Port access could be better as it's round the back, the cable management is ok except I found the plastic a bit flimsy and snapped a piece.... love the fact I can have my PC connected on HDMI and Macbook Pro on the display port.

As of yet not managed to get G-Sync working, probably me. Though not really that fussed.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 387850

Interesting Paul! I think that would be the ideal single monitor spec but I was a bit worried that 3440x1440 would be a few too many pixels for the GTX1060 to push around. I know you use the Rift for sim racing, but have you any idea what kind of FPS you'd be putting out on that monitor in AC or R3E on medium settings?

Upvote 0
Interesting Paul! I think that would be the ideal single monitor spec but I was a bit worried that 3440x1440 would be a few too many pixels for the GTX1060 to push around. I know you use the Rift for sim racing, but have you any idea what kind of FPS you'd be putting out on that monitor in AC or R3E on medium settings?
Can't say much about the monitors but to test fps:
Why don't you activate dsr and pick the same Pixel amount? :)
3440x1440 =4953600 pixels.
1920x1080 =2073600 pixels.
That's 2.38x more pixels so you should set dsr to 2.25x which results in 2880x1620.

Then you get more less accurately the fps you would get with the new monitor :)

Upvote 0

No idea. Guess I can test that...

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 387850

Why don't you activate dsr and pick the same Pixel amount? :)

Thanks for that tip, I had no idea you could do that! I'll give it a try later!

No idea. Guess I can test that...

I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble :redface: It's hard to get an accurate idea reading online as many people say that GTX1060 isn't up to doing anything, however, their applications and expectations may be somewhat unrealistic!

Upvote 0
I'm a bit in the same boat (well, since 1997 actually, permanently). I made a decision not to mess with regular monitors for racing until I gave the Rift a real tryout. As you say, it is just very expensive to build up sufficient pixels and surface with monitors, and that money would be goo-ohne if you end up with VR.

What is worse is that I can not unite my monitor needs between racing, programming and photo editing. Just a triplet of 4k 42" sounds nice in theory. However, it just isn't universally useful. The refresh rate is "low", even just the displays won't go above 60 Hz (that doesn't take into account feeding that from a graphics card). Color correctness for photo editing kinda clashes-ish with 144 Hz refresh rate. High-frequency gaming monitors only go to 1440p, which locks me out of 4k video. Ultra-widescreen doesn't mix with portrait mode photo editing.

For regular work I like a mixed set of displays (different kinds, then move windows to where they are suitable), but triple-screen car racing requires that you have 3x the same resolution. You can't even run some monitors horizontal, which with a 4k monitor would give you a nice twin on 1080p windows if you are not photo editing.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back