Monitor size

Last year went down the route of triple screen blah blah and didn't get on with it. Had to sell my pc blah blah. Now back again with new pc, TX wheel, shifter GT omega rig and a 27" Samsung monitor. My question is, what's the biggest monitor I could get but still keep performance? I like the look of a couple of 29" but obviously the response times start to go up but how much does that make a difference in racing compared to say FPS.

Last year went down the route of triple screen blah blah and didn't get on with it. Had to sell my pc blah blah. Now back again with new pc, TX wheel, shifter GT omega rig and a 27" Samsung monitor. My question is, what's the biggest monitor I could get but still keep performance? I like the look of a couple of 29" but obviously the response times start to go up but how much does that make a difference in racing compared to say FPS.
I bought one of these recently:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=225-4201
And I'm VERY happy with it! It's a bit cramped for vertical space but I don't mind, I love the added horizontal space! :)

Upvote 0
Monitor size is basically meaningless for fps. All that matters is resolution of the screen. And you can get 60" screens with just 1920x1080 resolution or you can go with 4k 27 inch screen. And of course you can run any monitor at any resolution you want but it won't look very good. With lcds it is not very good to use anything else than the normal resolution.

So fps. Resolution does not directly correlate with fps but the gpu still has more pixels to calculate which does bring the fps down. With triple screens the difference between a single 1920x1080 and three of them is just 3x more calculation. I don't think it means 1/3rd of the fps though. The choise between a 1920x1080 and x1200 for racing is probably meaningless. If you use the computer for anything else than gaming the x1200 is much better. With fullhd movies and 1080p the movie fills the whole screen but with x1200 screen you get black bars (I think).

As for screen size and resolution I'm probably a hopeless example. I use 42 inch tv with 1920x1080 and resolution-wise it is fine. On normal use you can see pixels but when racing not really. Obviously a 42" tv is not a cheap tv screen. The screen lag on my tv is good for tv though 28ms. Here are lots of screens tested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av0OulQmvTBHdEZlZ3FjQVhaV3NqV2tKZ2dzWHp6MGc#gid=0. The lag is till a bit too high for competitive gaming and pure twitch shooters but even for playing single player first person shooters it is okay. In sim racing you want absolutely the lowest lag display if you spend lots of time driving F1 cars or single seaters though.

One thing to remember is that the manufacturer values for input lag are almost completely meaningless. They are just lies in some cases. If input lag is important (and it should be) always try to get a monitor with low tested lag. So pick few monitors with known low lag and then compare those for the best price and other features.

Upvote 0
Read some reviews of the Dell 29 and it's the narrowness that concerns me. Apparently, the new 34" have the same height as a 27" so might wait or I might just be satisfied with my 27" and stop being an impulsive knob lol

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Depends on the size and format of the monitor you compare with, I saw you are running a 27" so here's a direct comparison to a 16:9 27" monitor:
http://displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-29-inch-21x9

Some feel the lack of height is really bad, I don't notice it at all, I am however very happy about the added horizontal space, I no longer surf with a maximized browser, I prefer to have two windows open side by side, so I can easily watch a movie on one side while surfing on the other, or compare two websites side by side. Awesome for working with documents as well imo.
The added width helps a little in simracing, but not by much if you run with the correct FOV, a 34" 21:9 on the other hand... mmmm.. droool :p

Upvote 0
Vertical height is only important for reading/writing (multiple) documents and editing images.
For simracing you want as much horizontal space as you can afford.
So you can see cars next to you and look in to the corners better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 195 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 380 28.3%