Monitor height with triple 24"

Hey guys
Been playing around with my setup and cant figure out the sweet spot.
Iv seen lots of videos with the monitors mounted down low behind the wheel and I think they look great.

With triple monitors your eyes need to be in the centre of the screen right ?
Otherwise the lines are not stright on the side monitors.

So when I drop my screens down behind my wheel, and drop my seat so that my eyes are in the center the wheel feels way to high.
Are 24" just to small or is there something im missing ?

Thanks

Yes, probably they are too small for the effect you want.
This is what I strived for, eventually getting 27” curved
monitors. Even this did not achieve that.
When getting really large tv’s or monitors, it can be done, it just starts to look aesthetically wrong.
Basically the sweet spot is 27” monitors perched just on top of you steering wheel ( that statement does to some extent depend on your wheel setup ).
Swapping 27” monitors for 24” monitors would in my view not effect my experience by much at all.:)

Upvote 0
PS,
My view is that the cockpit you drive in should replicate the main car you drive, my case, that would be GT3.
Seat height, distance from steering wheel, and pedals.
The screens are then place as near as is comfortable representing a 1:1 view outside the relative to their positioning.
You basically represent the exact view and positioning of the car you have replicated.

Upvote 0
The middle of your monitors 100% needs to line up with your eye-height when sat in the seat....otherwise you'll get straight lines angling up or down depending as they cross from the central screen to a side screen, as you rightly stated.

If the wheel is too high, can't you drop that down? Or raise the seat?

Upvote 0
Yes I can defiantly raise the seat or drop the wheel but then I loose the effect I was after.
If I raise the seat then ill need to raise the monitors the same amount.
And dropping the wheel will do the same thing.

My screens sit just at the top of my wheel and I think thats the best I can do.

Upvote 0
I tried everything, FOV calculators, seat up down, monitors up down, closer and further away.
I threw out everything I read online, went outside to my driveway where my '17 Charger sits.
Sat in that car and took pictures and measurements from every angle possible.
I know a Dodge Charger isn't exactly an Audi LMS but that's the process that worked best for me and it's not a terrible idea for anyone to try.
What's in your driveway?

Upvote 0
Nissan xtrail in the driveway haha so not much use.

I think iv got it the best I can atm.

20190630_133309.jpg

Upvote 0
Angle of steering wheel is too steep..lower, then lower monitors until they just about touch wheel housing, hold wheel and extend fingers..they should just about touch monitors.
Adjust seating position until comfortable, back/forward up/down, your arms should be close to 90 degrees at elbows. Then adjust seat again in game.
Goodluck

Looking at your pic, I'd drop your seat by one of those 4x2 timbers in height.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips Robert, but this is the problem.
If I drop the monitors down to the wheel base ill need to drop my seat down the same amount inorder to keep my eyes in the center of the screen.
And then the wheel feels way to high.

Dose that make sense ?

Ill get a picture of myself sitting in the seat for a better idea.

Upvote 0

Here's my old triple 27 setup I used to run a few years back.

I was able to find the right positions I needed, good luck

Ignore the fov and the stretched side monitors, but my G27 in front of monitors, video with mobile phone.

Also regarding what you said about the wheel then still being to high, I think you need to angle the wheel downwards at the front which will feel better on your wrists and arms. When I said too steep, I should be clearer, the face of your wheel needs to be more vertically flat, eg from / to l, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are 24" just to small or is there something im missing ?
Yes, 24" monitors are too small for realistic FOV. 27" are a bit too small, but close enough. 32" are really the minimum size and 40"-42" are perfect (but no one makes 120 Hz monitors in that size).

The other gotcha with 32" and larger monitors is the need for 1440p to avoid chunky pixels. 27" at 1080p is a little chunky, but still tolerable. Triples at 1440p pushes the limit of top video cards, so it's a game of compromises.

Upvote 0
What about 40 inch 4K TVs driven at 1080p 60Hz? Keeps number of pixels driven by the video card reasonable. TVs should theoretically upscale to 4K and maybe avoid obvious pixel chunks. They could also do frame interpolation to “upscale” to 120 Hz. But maybe that adds too much latency?

Anybody use this setup?

I guess one downside is fixed 60 FPS - no variable sync.

Upvote 0
TVs should theoretically upscale to 4K and maybe avoid obvious pixel chunks.
1080p pixels are the same size, regardless of upscaling. In 4k, you're using 4 pixels to make 1 bigger pixel.

Yes, there are TVs that will do a proper 120 Hz, but finding the ones that do it correctly rather than doing a pseudo 120 Hz is difficult (though easier to find verified models in Europe than USA).

Upvote 0
Upscaling from 1080p to 4K does not have to be a simple 1 to 4 pixel block. There are image processing algorithms that can smooth lines, etc so you don’t see the 2x2 square per pixel.

The point is modern video card GPUs cannot do triple monitor 4K resolution at 120 FPS. So why not offload some of the processing to the TVs?

I guess I’m debating triple 1080p upscaled to 4K at a potentially higher FPS versus triple 1440p with no upscaling at native resolution but lower FPS since the GPU has to push more pixels.

Upvote 0
It is all about pixel density, triple monitors can be brought closer to the player the higher the pixel
density. 21” monitors have a relatively high pixel density, especially, to cost ratio. Bigger monitors
have to be placed further away negating any advantages, making the immersive factor low. it ends up like sitting in front of your TV at home.:geek:

Upvote 0
Bigger monitors have to be placed further away negating any advantages, making the immersive factor low. it ends up like sitting in front of your TV at home.:geek:
No, you don't need to move big monitors further back. Here's Mr. Pix's "Project Immersion", a 65" 4k TV just behind the steering wheel (final iteration before he went to VR). A 40" 1440p monitor is similar pixel density.

Upvote 0
That begs another question - single large 4K TV vs triple monitors at lower resolution.

It’s too bad using multiple GPUs with SLI is not an easy option.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years