Monitor goes black for 1-2 secs, then resumes while racing - why?

Help -- Why is this happening?
I have a nice (mostly new) monitor (Dell 27" U2720Q) that I use for work and for play. When I'm iRacing every 5 or 10 minutes the monitor will blink off for 1-2 seconds, then blink back on. It never happens when I'm not racing, so I assume it's something to do with the load (running 4k with full detail using a 3070), but I'm not sure where to look or how to test to isolate the problem.

Is it the GPU or cable or monitor? or something else? It seems like it's probably a hardware issue, but is there software elements I should check? (using latest nVidia drivers)

Needless to say, this is a little challenging when it happens in the middle of a corner....

thanks for any tips....

You are probably better asking that in the computech forums.

In my inexperienced opinion it sounds like a performance problem of your PC.
How to diagnose that are others more qualified to advise.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I would suggest running at a lower resolution and/or lower detail and see if the issue persists. When you say it only happens when racing - have you tried any other non-racing games? Has it always done this or is this a recent issue? Can you try another monitor of similar spec to see if the issue is still there?

My immediate thoughts is to upgrade your DP cable

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had similar weird stuff happen before, which stopped happening when I used a different/better HDMI cable. (More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, of course.)

Upvote 0
The issue could be many things, but I have resolved this issue on my own setup a couple of times by replacing the cable between the monitor to the graphics card....

Upvote 0
Before you reinstall any drivers or blame some software:
I think the fps are too high in Iracing and the cable or monitor interface can't maintain a stable connection.

Are you using any kind of fps limiter?

Vsync, Riva tuner, Nvidia limiter?

My best guess would be that your monitor is 60 hz and as long as windows is active, the "desktop manager" will use vsync so the cable gets 4k at 60 fps/hz.

Iracing isn't very demanding for your hardware so if you don't limit the fps, the 3070 will push out probably above 100 fps.

The cable bandwidth probably simply isn't enough for that since the cable probably came with the monitor and so it can only do 4k at 60 fps.

Without vsync, the 100+ fps will be pushed through the cable and the connection becomes unstable.

The question is:
If you change to a dp 1.4 cable, the 3070 and the cable will be able to keep the connection stable but I fear that the monitor interface won't be able to keep up.

Anyway: get a certified dp 1.4 cable and try it out.

Or if you don't want to spend the money:
Activate vsync or lower the resolution to 1920x1080 and check if the issue goes away!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cable sounds like a likely candidate.

This monitor only supports 60Hz but does support HDR. It supports HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4.

If you are sending a true native 4K signal to the monitor then you are using HDMI or DP.

I find with my Samsung it can take a few seconds to sync which might be to do with HDR taking a bit longer than older tech.

DP1.4 is higher spec than HDMI 2.0. I use DP1.4 as I can run higher than 60Hz.

You definitely need a good quality cable. I use a DP cable at 2m length and is reliable. Most monitors would be supplied with a 1m cable to ensure it works well.

I needed 2m so I bought this one after a recommendation I saw on RD. I've had no issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%