Monitor dilemma...what to do?

I don't really want to break the bank and I am not a die hard sim racer, but I already know pretty much what everyone is going to say. So here is my question. I am looking to upgrade my monitor situation. I am on a budget so it is either one 32" curved monitor with TrackIr or triple 27" monitors. What should I do?

Last edited:
Triples or VR I would say. I can't say from experience but the thought of having to move your head whilst keeping your eyes forward for TrackIR is just odd. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you would get used to it and it could become second nature when sim racing but it will never feel natural.

Upvote 0
I believe144 Hz triples will need a decent gpu to run at full refresh rate.
Everybody is different, but I have a CV1 Rift which I never use. I recently bought used 60 Hz 27 inch triples. Some of the best money I ever spent on sim racing. Not for one second have I wanted to upgrade to a higher refresh rate.
If you could buy similar, you could always sell them on if it's not for you.
If you decided to keep them, you'd have money towards upgrading wheel, pedals, shifter or cockpit.

Upvote 0
I believe144 Hz triples will need a decent gpu to run at full refresh rate.
Everybody is different, but I have a CV1 Rift which I never use. I recently bought used 60 Hz 27 inch triples. Some of the best money I ever spent on sim racing. Not for one second have I wanted to upgrade to a higher refresh rate.
If you could buy similar, you could always sell them on if it's not for you.
If you decided to keep them, you'd have money towards upgrading wheel, pedals, shifter or cockpit.
I have an Nvidia GTX1070 so I will be fine. I have a wheel and pedals already. Just still using a single 8 year old 23 inch HP monitor, so that is what is in need of upgrading.

Upvote 0
To further keep your options opened.... May I suggest Trackir WITH minimum 34 inch 21:9 ultrawide monitor.
I'm using one with Freesync at 75hz; and Trackir.

The video below is a bit old at over 3 years... Since then, I've gone through a few upgrades to my rig but most notable, I've added base shakers and upgraded the track clip pro to a wireless one I bought online and it actually is a little more responsive than Natual Points Track Clip Pro.

I could not recommend this combo enough. Very immersive. Amazing fov on this monitor and checking mirrors, apex's and whos beside me all on a single monitor with trackir feels near perfect.

I completely understand those who easily get fed up struggling to set up trackir using 32 inch 16:9 monitor or even smaller. Completely understand if you experiencee eye strain or headaches. But on a large ultrawide monitor, NON of those problems exits at all! I turn my l head left, my eyes follow. But that ain't the case using a small monitor.

IMHO Trackir and 21:9 ultrawaide monitors are a match made in heaven! I'm still using a amd 380X gpu and old i54440 cpu.... Med-high graphics in my sims all maintaining 75 fps 2560x1080p. No need to upgrade pc specs, that's the beauty and maybe the only advantage of trackir over tripples/vr. You can save yo pennies lol

Let me know if you want to see a video with other cars/sims... I'll find some timethis weekend to put one together

Upvote 0
+1. 1070 is entry level "gotta turn down the settings" for triple screen these days. You'll be far happier with a single wide screen.
I have never owned a high end gaming monitor. If I get the triple 144hz, is there a way for me to set it through the GPU to only run at 75hz or 100hz to all 3 screens? This way, maybe next year I upgrade the GPU to a 2080 or something along those lines? I really want a bigger and better display. I would rather have the monitors now and tone it down a bit and then beef up the GPU later. What are your thoughts on that? I mean I saw a YouTube video of someone running triple 32 in screens on a 970 so I thought my 1070 could handle it.

Upvote 0
If I get the triple 144hz, is there a way for me to set it through the GPU to only run at 75hz or 100hz to all 3 screens?
Yes. But you're likely only going to have 60 fps after turning down settings.

Personally, if want triples that badly, save your money until you can get three matching monitors and the video card that will drive them well. Piece-mealing a system will lead to dissatisfaction with triples.

Otherwise, if ya gotta buy a new monitor NOW to satisfy an itch, get a good large one and stay single screen. You can always sell it off later when you can afford the rest of the triple monitor setup.

I mean I saw a YouTube video of someone running triple 32 in screens on a 970 so I thought my 1070 could handle it.
LOL... I started my adventures with 1080p triples 4 years ago using a 970. Works fine with rF1, but underpowered for anything more modern unless you're turning off shadows and use no AA (possibly a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea and its not far from the truth). You can certainly drive around with one car at 60 fps, but who really wants to limit themselves in that way?

My current card is a GTX 1080. I'd have been happier if I'd sprung for a 1080ti. My 1080p triples are being refreshed at 75 Hz and I've got settings turned down a bit, primarily in AA, to keep from dropping under 75 fps. On some track/car combos, I'll be at 60fps for the first lap or two, while the cars are bunched up.

Upvote 0
I'm using triple 32" AOC monitors and a GTX 1070 ti, no problems getting 100fps+ in AC with high/ultra settings at 5760x1080/144hz. The cpu is only an AMD FX8350 so it's working rather hard (70-80% core usage), but it gets the job done!

Upvote 0
Yes. But you're likely only going to have 60 fps after turning down settings.

Personally, if want triples that badly, save your money until you can get three matching monitors and the video card that will drive them well. Piece-mealing a system will lead to dissatisfaction with triples.

Otherwise, if ya gotta buy a new monitor NOW to satisfy an itch, get a good large one and stay single screen. You can always sell it off later when you can afford the rest of the triple monitor setup.

LOL... I started my adventures with 1080p triples 4 years ago using a 970. Works fine with rF1, but underpowered for anything more modern unless you're turning off shadows and use no AA (possibly a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea and its not far from the truth). You can certainly drive around with one car at 60 fps, but who really wants to limit themselves in that way?

My current card is a GTX 1080. I'd have been happier if I'd sprung for a 1080ti. My 1080p triples are being refreshed at 75 Hz and I've got settings turned down a bit, primarily in AA, to keep from dropping under 75 fps. On some track/car combos, I'll be at 60fps for the first lap or two, while the cars are bunched up.

I have same hardware setup. Can be choppy on a full grid but on later laps it's perfe tly fine. The 1080 is a great card

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing