Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz Jr -son of Carlos Sainz (former WRC champion), will start his first Grand Prix around the famous Monaco street circuit this weekend from the pit lane.
Sainz was supposed to stop at the weigh bridge when entering the pits during Q1 but failed to do so. As a result it was announced during qualifying that he was under investigation by the stewards. Sainz was asked to visit the stewards with a team representative and shortly after the FIA issued this following statement.
"The driver failed to stop for weighing during Q1 when signalled to do so by the red traffic light."
"The car was not returned to the FIA garage and work was undertaken."
"In accordance with article 26.1 (iv) of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations the driver is required to start from the pit lane."
Sainz originally qualified eighth ahead of his ultra-impressive team mate, Max Verstappen, who had only managed tenth position around the streets of Monaco. Following this penalty and Romain Grosjean's 5 place grid penalty the starting order for tomorrow's race has been altered slightly. Below is an updated provisional starting grid.
1. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes-Mercedes
2. Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes-Mercedes
3. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari-Ferrari
4. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull-Renault
5. Daniil Kvyat RUS Red Bull-Renault
6. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari-Ferrari
7. Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes
8. Pastor Maldonado VEN Lotus-Mercedes
9. Max Verstappen NED Toro Rosso-Renault
10. Jenson Button GBR McLaren-Honda
11. Nico Hulkenberg GER Force India-Mercedes
12. Felipe Massa BRZ Williams-Mercedes
13. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda
14. Felipe Nasr BRZ Sauber-Ferrari
15. Romain Grosjean FRA Lotus-Mercedes
16. Valtteri Bottas FIN Williams-Mercedes
17. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber-Ferrari
18. Will Stevens GBR Manor Marussia-Ferrari
19. Roberto Merhi ESP Manor Marussia-Ferrari
Starting from pit lane
Carlos Sainz Jr ESP Toro Rosso-Renault
Last edited by a moderator: