Lewis Hamilton was able to go top of the time sheets in FP2 this afternoon in Monaco, just before rain hit the coastal city. Subsequent running was fairly limited due to the high risk of car damage when driving on the street circuit.
Team mate Nico Rosberg was a lot closer to his Mercedes teammate this time around in FP2, going second fastest to Hamilton but still around seven tenths off of his team mates pace.
12 minutes into the session Manor's Roberto Merhi fell victim to the barriers of Monaco, colliding with them as he lost control while exiting the famous tunnel section. This meant the session was stopped for six minutes, and it was during the six minutes that the rain gradually started to introduce itself to the Monaco Grand Prix weekend.
Once the session re-opened, all but one team opted to stay indoors and save risking cars and parts, the only team who ventured out was Lotus, sending Pastor Maldonado out equipped with a set of Supersoft tyres onto a circuit that was starting to become soaked in rain. Maldonado was immediately ordered to return to the pit lane due to the weather conditions.
Drivers and teams remained quiet for nearly an hour as the rain began to fall, but with around half an hour remaining the sun broke through the clouds calling an end to the brief shower.
It was only with 12 minutes remaining that drivers were sent out to try and get some running. This was possibly for the off chance that should there be any more rain throughout the weekend, the teams and drivers do have some data and experience to go off. The streets of Monaco are all the more challenging when wet, with painted road markings becoming more akin to ice than tarmac, transforming the racing line and subsequent braking areas around the circuit which is something the drivers benefit from in the case of rain come race day.
Marcus Ericsson was the only driver who failed to set a time, due to an ERS problem with his Sauber.
- Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 17.192s 12 laps
- Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 17.932s 15 laps
- Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 18.295s 14 laps
- Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 18.543s 15 laps
- Daniil Kvyat RUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 18.548s 16 laps
- Carlos Sainz Jr ESP Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 18.659s 14 laps
- Max Verstappen NED Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 18.782s 12 laps
- Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda 1m 18.906s 18 laps
- Nico Hulkenberg GER Force India-Mercedes 1m 19.151s 13 laps
- Romain Grosjean FRA Lotus-Mercedes 1m 19.266s 13 laps
- Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 19.300s 13 laps
- Felipe Massa BRZ Williams-Mercedes 1m 19.560s 15 laps
- Valtteri Bottas FIN Williams-Mercedes 1m 19.566s 14 laps
- Pastor Maldonado VEN Lotus-Mercedes 1m 19.577s 13 laps
- Jenson Button GBR McLaren-Honda 1m 19.606s 14 laps
- Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 19.639s 13 laps
- Felipe Nasr BRZ Sauber-Ferrari 1m 20.263s 10 laps
- Roberto Merhi ESP Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 22.017s 9 laps
- Will Stevens GBR Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 22.943s 13 laps
- Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber-Ferrari No time