Mods now have crackling and distorted sounds

Has anyone else noticed since the new sound changes to AMS, mods now have cracking and distortion. Is there any remedy to this or will mods now need to be re sampled to suit the Reiza settings?

Found it on Reiza forums.
It's not just resampling; for sound files to work correctly now they need to obey few simple things:
1) Not go over -0.1dBFS (probably can be stretched to -0.01, but -0.1 is safe)
2) Not have any DC offset in them
3) It's best to have them at 44.1kHz SR or 48.0. Not 96.0! Can be 22.05 or 24.0 or 32.0 if you fancy so.

All of this relates to few things, which i'll go in same order as mentioned above:
1) Clicks you hear is due to files hitting 0dBFS.
2) Reverb can create some nasty distortion in case of alot of dc offset
3) less ram less cpu usage in case of 44.1 - any other files are resampled first.

On a final note: for a quick workaround to clicking add this to sfx files:
Code:
ResampleFilter=0
Resampler filter we introduced for a reason. Previously, with SR lower then 96.0 you'd hear some "bubbly" "computer voice" artifacts when playing sounds, especially when pitching them up/down. Someone who does audio editing can best recognize this as very similar to residual noise that early noise reduction algorithms would produce. I might make a short example of this. Renato posted a screenshot comparing the previous situation using 44.1 kHz and with filter on in last dev update blog.

If there is no ResampleFilter defined at all in sfx file, it should turn off. But as discovered few nights ago, it doesn't work like that. There was a bug in it (well still present in beta and main at this moment), it wouldn't turn off in case you used mod car that didn't have it defined.

Glad i am not the only one that noticed it. I thought my new bose head set was damaged after testing some stock content after the release of hockenhiem....hopefully it gets sorted soon as I dont like having to sort through files tweaking things, and with noise cancelling headphones the pops and crackles are very noticeable and really ruins the immersion aspect :(

I have resampled the engine sounds of the Scirocco mod to remove the crackling/distorted sound.
Worked perfect;)
I did use AVS Audio Editor, see piccie.

- load sound into Editor
- choose "select all"
- choose "Effects"
- choose "Normalize"
- Normalize with a certain percentage, so that volume levels don't touch 0 dB
Note: be sure to use the same percentage for all other engine sounds.
- Tick button " Remove DC Offset"
- Save as 44.100 Khz / 16-bit / 1 channel

Done:)

Note : i resampled only the onboard engine sounds and outside engine sounds with this method.
Other sounds related to engine like transmission (tranny) sounds will have to resampled too.
All other sounds/effects for grass/sand/gravel/roadnoise/tyres/crash/brakes etc are taken from an original Reiza car.

Attached a txt file with the ambient/tyre/crash entries that i use for a closed racecar, not an open wheeler. I did erase the entries of the engine sounds...Latest parameters for PostFX are at the bottom. If you want to use this ingame save as SFX file.( mymod.SFX)

AUDIO EDIT.jpg

Attachments

• SFX.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Glad i am not the only one that noticed it. I thought my new bose head set was damaged after testing some stock content after the release of hockenhiem....hopefully it gets sorted soon as I dont like having to sort through files tweaking things, and with noise cancelling headphones the pops and crackles are very noticeable and really ruins the immersion aspect :(
You have issues with default, non-mod vehicles? If it's is clicking over curbs, that is a known issue, not related to what mod vehicles do (produce some loud, thick clicks).

snip
- Save as 44.100 Khz / 16-bit / 1 channel
/snip.
Red bit - that way if some sounds were in stereo, you are downmixing them to mono. Better option would be: 44.1kHz, 16bit, *same-as-source* - if there is such an option.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%