Modifying The AIW file to reduce first corner pileups.

Hey @Speednut357, have been looking at AIW lines and boundaries of default RACE 07 tracks thanks to the Race Remaster mod, and have a question. Below is a photo of the AIW file for the track from Puebla. To improve AI behaviour, would it be worth smoothing all of these jagged edges on the corridors? Even though they wouldn't cause a first corner swerve the way your Monaco example did? Interested in your thoughts.

Puebla AIW file RACE 07.png

Hey @Speednut357, have been looking at AIW lines and boundaries of default RACE 07 tracks thanks to the Race Remaster mod, and have a question. Below is a photo of the AIW file for the track from Puebla. To improve AI behaviour, would it be worth smoothing all of these jagged edges on the corridors? Even though they wouldn't cause a first corner swerve the way your Monaco example did? Interested in your thoughts.

View attachment 539016
Problems caused by those jagged edges only happen when the AI bunches up and tries to overtake each other. So yes, it would improve things but only a minimal amount. You would only see it if a group of AI was battling in that part of the track.
There is, however, a glaring problem with this track, I didn't see it at first, but I had a little go at improving the AIW to know if I could spot anything. The main straight is very wide, leading into the first corner. The pit lane causes this. The AI is going seven or eight wide and then getting around the corner. Believe it or not, you don't need that cut across the pit lane path. Here is my fix that seemed to make a big difference. I tested with the WTCC cars because you may be using them.
I also inserted the lines, slowwhenpushed=0.10 and AIDraftStickiness=(0.98) into the AIW file.

unknown_2022.02.08-19.19 (2).png

You, sir, are amazing. :) Would you be willing to share your updated AIW once it's in a state you're happy with?
I also inserted the lines, slowwhenpushed=0.10 and AIDraftStickiness=(0.98) into the AIW file.
Could you please clarify precisely how each of these parameter changes helps?

Last edited:
Never mind, let me answer my own question a bit. From this thread: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/slowwhenpushed-1-00.218069/

Also, with the line, AIDraftStickiness=(1.0000) at default the ai will tend to stick to the racing line when drafting rather than moving out for an overtake. Lowering this a little to 0.90 - 0.97, the ai will tend to be a little less regimented about sticking to the racing line in those situations. Play with the values, see what works for you.
I experimented with Slowwhenpushed some years ago with GTR2.

As you know, if you get behind another car, fine. But if you get right up on its bumper, even in a straight line, it will hit the brakes. A setting of 1.00 means they use full braking and 0.00 means they don't brake.

What i found with 0.00 is that large fields were chaotic. There were situations where ai cars needed to respond to each other but couldn't. If you find the same thing try 0.2 - 0.25. They can still respond by braking but less aggressively.

Hi MJQT. I tried STCC cars on Poebla '06, with only changing both of ..DryGrip in gdb, from 0.80 to 1.05. Slightly decreasing it, is possible maybe. AI then went from "pretty good" to "stiff competion" .
First Corner.. is another thing. :)

Hi MJQT. I tried STCC cars on Poebla '06, with only changing both of ..DryGrip in gdb, from 0.80 to 1.05. Slightly decreasing it, is possible maybe. AI then went from "pretty good" to "stiff competion" .
First Corner.. is another thing. :)
I have finished the AIW path change. And was just balancing the ai speed this morning. I will upload it tonight. And you can give it a test please Peppelino.

• Deleted member 13397

you need to register, to see the link

you need to register, to see the link
I personally prefer to limit the number of places where I have a separate account, so I'd really appreciate if at some point, you could upload your really cool-looking AIW tool here on RaceDepartment, or to a publicly visible MediaFire/Google Drive link. I understand there might be reasons why you haven't done this, but if you'd consider it going forward, that'd be great. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 13397

i understand your issue,
but the person (RIP) who made the AIW tool founded that forum to create a place as a RACE07 knowledge base
and decided to place his work there and that way

it is also the home of the companian

as an alternative to other places like this
the forum is adfree and tries to be as less invasive as at has to be
(i am running it as Lusso & Syhlif32 the other founders are RIP)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 239 14.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years