• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

US Modern DTM @ Hockenheimring GP - Tue Sep 3 2019

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by David DeGreef, Aug 6, 2019.

Added to Calendar: 03-09-19
  1. BP

BP
    Premium

Ratings:
    +539
    What a race! Highs and Lows all over...made my mandatory silly mistake of trying to take a curb, forgetting DRS was on, but I didn't realise the DRS was the culprit until later. @sc4dr came out out the pits at just the right time...letting him go by was my strategy to get DRS so I could close up the gap before pitting (my battle wasn't with Dan anyways considering his pace, so why fight the eventual pass? :thumbsup:), worked out well but almost had a fender bender trying to enter the pits with a really slow car in the pit entry.

Managed to catch up to @ko41 to challenge for 3rd and wouldn't cha know it: I spun again at the same damn corner, but I hadn't hit the curb that time so the lightbulb finally when on (DRS dummy! LOL)...lucky I had enough time left and the damage wasn't severe enough to let me catch up to KO again for round 2 and finally managed to stick the landing (nice defense BTW :thumbsup:, that could have gone either way if you went for the outside instead, but I did look like a torpedo so I don't blame you for trying for the apex). In a weird twist of fate, the same car that blocked me earlier going into the pits saved me at the final corner! :confused::D

Definitely one of my best drives, barely getting on the podium. On to Portugal! :)

• Beer Beer x 2
  2. David DeGreef

David DeGreef
    R3E Racing Club Host US Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +644
    So have you been collecting your VRP, ready to get more? This week's FReD and winners are:

Keith_G
    brc19
    stevem

3. David DeGreef

David DeGreef

Ratings:
    +644
    Well... who is in the running for the FReD grand finale prize of 200 VRP, you wonder? Ok, maybe not but I think by any measurement this club is off to a great start and its because we are getting nice sized grids and drivers hanging in there to the finish. Everyone gets my gratitude for making this hobby on Tuesday nights something I really look forward to, I trust it does for you too.

Kudos to everyone for giving this club a chance, and more so the consistency of turn out has been impressive.

These are the drivers with the most finishes, I have blocked out real names of those that are not public and excluded me from the running. With three events left it is still up for grabs.

upload_2019-9-4_7-21-31.png

4. 2112

Premium

Ratings:
    +117
    Well...that was decidedly non-optimal...

I qualified better than I thought I would as I was quite sure I was running way more wing than anyone else. I gave up top end for faster through the twisties. It worked...when I was not spinning...

I had six offs. That is by far the most I have had since we started. The only thing I can think of is track conditions as I was able to slam the car through the track while I was practicing prior to yesterday. Once I got in the server I felt like I was on skates and kept looping it.

No one to blame but myself. Hopefully I can redeem myself next week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  5. TrumpetReich

TrumpetReich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +136
    I'm already dreading the end, I'll miss this series.

6. David DeGreef

David DeGreef

Ratings:
    +644
    Oh we're are not going anywhere, each and every week we will be bringing new, and hopefully enjoyable, combos.
    The VRP incentive is ending 9/24/19, and by then the idea is everyone will appreciate how much more fun it is when the vast majority stay to the finish as anything can happen.

7. BP

BP
    Premium

Ratings:
    +539
    I don't think it's "ending"...I'm under the impression just the VRP prizes part will end; the races will keep going on every week until @David DeGreef gets tired of us and throws in the towel. EDIT: Just saw David's response :thumbsup:

I'm so mad at my PC (well, mostly raceroom) for putting a blemish on my perfect record of attendance by crashing last week. I wish I could give it a time out, but that would hurt me more than it. :roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  8. brc19

brc19
    Premium

Ratings:
    +26
    @sc4dr @David DeGreef
    Thanks for the offer of help!
    I worked out the pit problem. Wheel keys not bound for Pit Menu Increase/Decease. Bound the two actions, able to select different pit presets.

upload_2019-9-4_15-20-19.png

• Beer Beer x 1
  9. brc19

brc19
    Premium

Ratings:
    +26
    One other thing to test: drive through penalty. I DNFd a race because I couldn't select it from the pit menu. With the new button assignments I think it will work. How do I trigger a drive through penalty to test?

10. David DeGreef

David DeGreef

Ratings:
    +644
    I would suggest to set up an AI race and test by speeding in pit, just don't go full out as it may just DQ you instead.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TR_S

TR_S
    Premium

Ratings:
    +28
    It makes racing for 'something' that little bit more exciting. I have one car pack I'm after so I'm hoping for some results the next three races. I also had a late start in this series. Many things will have to align. Adds more excitement.

12. David DeGreef

David DeGreef

Ratings:
    +644
    That's whats great all you have to do is finish. Can't get any easier than that.;)

13. TR_S

TR_S
    Premium

Ratings:
    +28
    Yes but in my mind, I'm going for the Borg Warner or something like that each time! :roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 1
  14. TR_S

TR_S
    Premium

Ratings:
    +28
    @David DeGreef Had a lot of fun chasing you the first stint before pit stops. Following you was like following AI in my practices at 107%. Un-catchable.

Hit my pit box, was watching you pit to see how close pit exit may be and never thought to turn off the engine as I kind of forgot that this game wants the engine off in every car. Wasted a fair bit of time on botching the pit stop which would have been smooth as everything else was spot on. I wanted a top 3 but will settle for the top 5.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    • Beer Beer x 1
  15. TR_S

TR_S
    Premium

Ratings:
    +28
    I have keyboard mappings which are duplicated in a G13 which I use as a button box of sorts. You can have all the presets you want and should be able to < or > or up / down through them.

A few races back with Group 5 cars at Sonoma, I had the exact issue. My mappings are good, I could cycle through presets but couldn't change anything and retired due to fuel as well.

A small bug perhaps.

16. David DeGreef

David DeGreef

Ratings:
    +644
    Thank you that is a very nice compliment, right? :cautious:
    It was fun, I was doing everything within my ability to try and keep you out of DRS range. Looking forward to more battles.

Dumb question but you do have a button bound for ENTER/SELECT?

17. sc4dr

sc4dr
    Premium

Ratings:
    +59
    You don't need to turn the car off if just changing tires. Also, some cars like Indy for instance, you leave running while refueling as well.:thumbsup:

18. TR_S

TR_S
    Premium

Ratings:
    +28
    Yes Enter/Select is mapped. I know it works. I've tested it. Interesting as I didn't know they have different behavior for different cars. Anyone know if it's based on real world? It seems that refueling in some cars such as the DTM, which apparently do not have pit stops in the real series (?), seem to require the car off for fuel.

Yessir that was a compliment. 2-3 times where I had DRS available, was using it and could get within car lengths but then was into a braking zone and couldn't get a move set up.

I briefly tried a setup that was discussed pre-race with settings read out. Would have needed more time with that to see if I could get quicker. My 1m:34.305s Q was the best I ran in the car. I couldn't find anything more to catch you. :thumbsup:

On to next week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.